NSRA - open to newer cars? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2008, 08:07 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

hotrodders that drive the sort of iron like the above and the type I build and enjoy are JUST not interested in the later stuff.. I drove a 55 chevy in high school, it had nads, 389 pony under the hood, sold it and got a 33 open wheel ford , early hemi. When one thinks of a hotrod these are what come to mind, the 55 - 70s are just old cars with updated running gear that is hidden buy the way, under the body.
Early hotrods are like steam engins, rough, hammered out, with all the mechanicals exposed and dressed out. on the other hand the newer stuff is more about the paint job. Point of case, ever see a real nice post 48 that had a mirror paint job and then look under the hood or under the car and see unfinished hardware everywhere, but the owner is so pumped at his flashy paint he is clueless abut the rest of his ride .. just my view

Advertisement

Last edited by pepi; 08-20-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: can not spell
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2008, 10:43 AM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I've heard it so many times in the last 30+ years "i can't afford an early car".

That just isn't true, you need to want one bad enough.

Some people I have known for years won't ever consider buying a western desert project because they can't deal with the "worry" about getting it shipped, or worry about buying from just pics. So they will never get anything. They claim to be waiting for something to show up in their own town.

I like all brands of early cars. I sometimes check ebay. A few months back there was a 33 Olds 2dr sedan that uses a real short body and seperate bustle trunk like some 33-34 chevys had. The car looked great, but no motor, headlights or interior. The car was in Chicago in a warehouse and the seller wanted it gone, so no reserve, and it went cheap. I just read on hamb where the winner backed out, and the 2nd high bidder also backed out. The owner pushed it out by the curb and gave it away for free! Sure they are wood framed bodies, that's why the GMs are sometimes dirt cheap. How bad do you really want an old car?
Old 08-20-2008, 11:55 AM

Last journal entry: 168-34 Another Fall Festival Show
Last photo:

These are questions that have been asked over and over and will be again. If you want the type of hot/street rod that makes the magazines then it costs, usually alot. But rods can be built for much less. As has been said stay away from the most in demand and go for less common body styles. I saw lots of rat rods at the Nats (most were meant to be jokes) but they could have been really finished up and I know they didn't spend thousands. My own rod may not be every ones taste but I have less than 12K in it and but for the body I bought new parts for almost everything. Just get over the idea that it has to be a '32,33, 40.
Deuce said the most important thing. If you want to join the corvette club you have to have a corvette, don't insist that they let your mustang in because it looks like they are having more fun the you.
I hope they never change the format, stop at 1948.
Old 08-20-2008, 12:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

To expand on the newer cars a bit - Burlington NSRA added to '78 last year for the first time so that they could hopefully expand on the static number of 1200-1300 cars that they had been drawing. I spoke to several of the NSRA officials prior to that show expressing my concern. I'll probably stomp on someones favorite car, but what bothered me specifically was the fact that Vermont is very rural in nature and that my concern was that the "average" clapped out '76 Chebbie Ford or MoPar four door sedan would show up. I was pleasently surprised that the quality of the cars actually went up along with the number of cars in attendance - I believe that the final number of cars approached 1800. And the feared clunkers never showed.

Do I like the added 30 years to '78? I would have said no but almost every car was a good one. I want this show to continue and since attendance by both cars and by spectators dictates whether this show will continue. If this year is as good as last, it should be not a problem. Unfortunately, with the gas prices still high, and competition from the independently run Adirondack Nationals in Lake George, NY two weeks before and Goodguys-Rhinebeck just the week before, something will have to give for a lot of folks. My personal opinion - I really don't like the Lake George or Rhinebeck shows - both are in villages that are too small for the crowds. Lake George will cram about 1200 cars on a hotel front yard with another hundred or more that couldn't get registered and is a zoo of manic proportions. It's < 40 miles from me. Rhinebeck - the car count and quality isn't the best IMO and is about 65 miles from me. Burlington - nice city, good restaurants, good ride to get there including a pleasant ferry ride across Lake Champlain and only about 135 miles and my favorite 'big' NSRA show.

Dave W.
(NSRA member since 1986)
Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM

Well, I don't get it........NSRA should stay 48 and older. If I want to attend, I'll build a 48 or older (I bought a 47 Chevy 2 door sedan for that very reason, for $700.00).........the stock frame is boxed, I bought a wrecked 76 Caprice with a rebuilt 350 for 300, I bought a core 700R4 for a hundred, and had it rebuilt.......I need a suspension kit to get my rolling chassis done.....but I'm started.
I can't take my 66 Chevelle to the Mustang Show, and shouldn't be allowed to.....
I can finish my 56 Chevy 2 door sedan and get in to shows that my Chevelle can't..........and I'm ok with it all.
Build what qualifies, build what you like.........hey, it's all for fun (or should be).......
Geezer's Garage and Cantina, Sahuarita, AZ
Old 08-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Last photo:

News Flash!

Dateline: Louisville Ky, August 1st, 2035.

Today the NSRA yearly event was held once again at the parking lot of the U of K parking lot where it moved after declining numbers over the past several decades.

The few remaining members, holding fast to their demand of pre-48 cars only, held to their principles of not allowing newer models of car into the show. They held a memorial service on Sunday morning during the services for their lost brother rodders.

The under 21 program having collapsed under declining numbers as the cost of parts and supplies skyrocketed due to declining demand.

Asked why the kids never picked up the pre-48 hobby, the members cited the cheap availability of solar electric cars made in Iraq and the hydrogen cell based people haulers from the Ukraine.

"You can make these babies run for cheap, they are available, and there are tons of aftermarket lights and hip vibration kits that gets attention." said one of the remaining members who only goes by the nickname of "Ace".

"We're proud that we kept it pure and no junk ever got in" said another member that goes by "Pylon". "It got even better when we outlawed Small Block Chevys" said Pylon.

Meanwhile the "American Steel" car event has taken over the fairgrounds and are enjoying a growing crowd that brings cars up to a manufacture date of 2008. However, "no electric or hydrogen crap will ever get in here!" said an "American Steel" rep, J. Kawasuki of the Honda-Toyota corporation, Major sponsor of the event.

The fact that gasoline is no longer available hasn't stopped these guys! They tow their trailers with these cars in them thanks to modern multi-fuel electric-steam centrifugal turbine engines of today.

Thankfully the mini-nuclear power plants installed at former gasoline stations allow these guys to make it to their destinations by charging their old lead-acid batteries that turn the engines just enough to get them off and back on the trailer.

The show ends Sunday at 3, but most guys pack up and leave before the single drawing for a cup of coffee as the last event is drawn. The remaining 3 vow to return next year and hang out again here next year citing in unison "no post 48 crap EVER!"
Old 08-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
The remaining 3 vow to return next year and hang out again here next year citing in unison "no post 48 crap EVER!"
Maybe ...

Two of the three are in this photo ... and both have their balding heads covered

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 08-20-2008, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

Gotta love it :)

Ha ha ha I hear ya Glad you took it in the spirit it was meant. Humor with a point

I love 32's ! Especially chevy's

I like SOME of the Street Rods! Where I grew up, in Northern California, I never seen anything custom older than 55. I never seen a 32 on the streets around me. I seen plenty of Tri-5's, 59 Impalas, 63-64 Chevy's, fine AMC's, some land yachts, pimped out caddies, and other iron ....but I can't remember seeing many Street Rods until I seen the movie "American Graffitti". I LOVED that duece! But the 55 Chevy was every bit as cool!

A cool American car is a cool American car! year be damned!.... IMHO ...your mileage may vary

Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Ha ha ha I hear ya Glad you took it in the spirit it was meant. Humor with a point
Yes, Steve ... you and I do not have a problem.
What we have is a generational difference. It was real nice talking with you in Louisville.

Things will change. NSRA is a business. They opened up the events they did because they want MORE MONEY. Nothing criminal about that.

When I started going to Hershey PA ... swap meet ... back in the late 60's and early 70's ... the hot cars were brass era cars and the old guys looking for them and their parts were 60/70 years old. As time when on, Model T's were the hot car @ Hershey. Then Model A's. V8 Fords took over later. Now ... there are a lot of 50/and 60's cars and parts @ Hershey. A restored 1969 Z28 Camaro has a show classification and slot @ Hershey.

My 32 roadster was @ the first NSRA Nationals in Peoria. Next years Nats will be number 40 for NSRA. Things will evolve ... maybe just not as fast as you would like.

Shades of the Past SRA was a pre 49 event for years. They wanted more $$$ and raised the year cut-off to 1964. The car count went down. What do they do ??? They raised it again to 1972. The count suffers.

With the high fuel prices, the real high motel room rates and the ever growing older street rod crowd ... I predict it will be even less this year

A lot part of the 49 up crowd comes to Pigeon Forge but do not register and just clog up the food places and motels. They attract a lot more attention from the Police and as a general rule ... behave less adult.

It will be interesting to see how this years event turns out. You and your wife should come down with your Malibu and have fun ... it is open to 1972. I like to go because they have a special reserved area on Saturdays for the 1932 Fords. A show within a show. It has it's own awards, dash plagues and area. It usually has over 125 Deuces ... of all kinds. Steel, fiberglass, flatheads and blown Hemis ... as long as it looks like it started out as a 1932 Ford.

Deuce

Old 08-20-2008, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Generations

Thanks Duece! That Pigeon Forge show sounds good, is that the Fall Rod Run? Yeah those greedy Hotel people really torque my jaw!

I love Pigeon Forge as a location for a car show in general. But the big shows do have their draw backs. The Hotel rates being my #1 gripe.

I put in ...I just counted and can't believe ..7 years now on my Chevelle, and I hope to have it on the road soon. I'm heading out to work on trying to finish the wiring tonight. It was my first ever restore/mod.

The 58 Apache will be started in a few weeks. I Love the Nats! I just want to play in the same sand box and not make it a litter box as many people fear.

Here's some pics of my Chevelle if I may share?

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...view=slideshow
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks Duece! That Pigeon Forge show sounds good, is that the Fall Rod Run?
Go here ... http://www.shadesofthepast.com/2008data/rodruninfo.html

There are actually two events within a week of each other. Shades of the Past is first. They started their event first ... and is my pick.

The Grand Run came along later ( long story ) and has always been more of a later model event. I do not go to it.

http://www.etmotorgear.com/library/grfly_1199898743.pdf

I most likely could have a decent time at the second event ... but it being 1 week later than the Shades event ... eliminates it from me going. The first weekend is expensive enough ... I do not need two expensive weekends in a row in Pigeon Forge.

Old 08-20-2008, 06:44 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks Duece! That Pigeon Forge show sounds good, is that the Fall Rod Run? Yeah those greedy Hotel people really torque my jaw!

I love Pigeon Forge as a location for a car show in general. But the big shows do have their draw backs. The Hotel rates being my #1 gripe.

I put in ...I just counted and can't believe ..7 years now on my Chevelle, and I hope to have it on the road soon. I'm heading out to work on trying to finish the wiring tonight. It was my first ever restore/mod.

The 58 Apache will be started in a few weeks. I Love the Nats! I just want to play in the same sand box and not make it a litter box as many people fear.

Here's some pics of my Chevelle if I may share?

http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...view=slideshow
If you have not started building the 58 yet why not sell it and buy a pre 49 to build instead?
Old 08-20-2008, 06:50 PM
31 five window

Last journal entry: Master cylinder
Last photo:

In Mississippi they have Crusin the coast every October.They are open to 1980 I think and had approximately 6000 cars.It used to be better when only about 4000 showed up.As big as the area is it still gets too crowded.They should cut it back to about 1972 IMHO.But street rod events should stay pre 49.I like all the different cars but I also like the different type of shows.
Old 08-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Last photo:

Good Question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
If you have not started building the 58 yet why not sell it and buy a pre 49 to build instead?
A very good question! Thought about it many times! The truth is while I love SOME of the cars at the Nats, I like more of the cars of the 50's to 60's a little better .....or I did at the time I bought the truck.

The 40's cars are still not my taste, but some of the early 30's and late 20's cars have worked on me hard these last few years.

Finding one to build has been a challenge and I have looked! Most of my funds have gone into the Chevelle so funds are tight now though andI have the truck on hand.

The 58 will be a hot rod truck that can tow a trailer with my Chevelle on it. I have a picture in my mind on how cool it will look when done.

But back to my original post point, if you look at my Chevelle, it has a lot of at least Hot Rod influence if not Street Rod influence. To me, in my mind, my car is more of a "Street Rod" than the factory original Model T coming through the gate. It's more of a Street Rod than the busses, ambulances, hearses, and SOME delivery trucks coming through the gate.

The year alone doesn't make it a Street Rod to me. If you can have a 2008 fiberglass car build by a company that resembles a 1940's era car but every bolt on it is still shiney new, and that can get through the gate, but my customized hand rebuilt American made car that's now 40 years old can't make it through the gate, then there's an element of hypocrisy ...in my opinion.

Speedy, I accidentally got caught in the middle of the Cruisin the Coast run ....I was in Biloxi at the time by accident and found myself in the middle of the cruise. Awseome! It looked pretty open and free...like a cruise-in. If there was a formal organized element to it, I missed it. Any car show is better than no car show But cruizin the coast is awesome and I hope it helps to bring money to help rebuild the area.

Steve
Old 08-20-2008, 07:37 PM

Last photo:

NSRA open to newer cars?

Aint happy with NSRA? Try Goodguys.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.