NSRA - open to newer cars? - Page 4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

My feelings, if it takes an influx of newer cars to keep a venue going, so be it. Change is a fact of life in this hot rod/street rod scene and the fact that many of the newer folks have neither the time, money, skills or inclination and the fact that there is very little in the way of original cars available. Do I like it - no, do I accept it? Yes!! That's the way it has to be today. Do I want it to go the way of Goodguys - no, but they are drawing bigger numbers of entries in many cases then the NSRA. The big venues like York, Kalamazoo and Louisville I hope never have to change to some post '48 cars. Will be inevitable, probably. This year and even the past few years I have seen fewer and fewer cars at York where they have had 7000 or more. My guess, this year, 4500 - 5000. Another problem - the vendors. I'm seeing fewer hot rod vendors and more general merchandise sellers at York, the NSRA's second largest show. Why? It just plain costs too much - you have to sell a lot of product to pay to get there from West Cupcake, California then pay $3000 AND UP for a space. Fewer cars equals fewer sales and translates into a decision to probably not come back next year.

To sum it up again, I don't like the trend but I do understand what is happening and why. I understand what Deuce is saying and why and from his viewpoint - but, let's face it - it is a form of progress, like it or not. Deuce, I like your traditional values in this hobby/sport/pastime - but things are changing whether we like it or not. Street rodders (baby boomers) are getting into their 60s and then some and neither one of us is a spring chicken and I'm even more of a last year's old rooster. There are getting to be more and more electric scooters at every show I go to now. The youngsters are not coming into the car thing. They have a wife, 2.1 kids, a $15,000 credit card bill, a big mortgage and a 6 year old unpaid for soccer mom's mini van. If do they show with their '69 Mustang GT, maybe with some education we can sway them once their other "debts" are finished, but if not, maybe encourage them to keep going with what they have.

Now shall we throw another cement block on this discussion - some of the ricers cars are getting to that age.........

Dave W

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2008, 09:35 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedydeedy
Will anybody with more knowledge than me chime in on the comment I made about breaking the street rod year because of the running boards?
None of the big three had running boards after 1940!! (That is except for the pick up trucks)

Last edited by Irelands child; 08-23-2008 at 09:55 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2008, 09:50 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
I see the point that you can see a mix of cars at a cruise-in! I see the point that guys want things to stay the same, and yes that some will not come anymore, and yes it would be similar to a Good-guys event. All valid points!

But here's some things to consider as well:
  • When that Duece attended the first NSRA National event in 1968? .... that 1932 car was only 36 years old!
  • In order to equal the age difference that my 1958 truck has today, if you were to drive an equal age vehicle into that first NSRA event, you would have had to drive through the gates in a HORSE AND BUGGY!
  • If you want to stop change, you shouldn't have allowed the fiberglass bodies in.
  • If you wanted to make sure you got only street rods you should have stopped
    the restoration to factory original Model T's and others. The fire trucks, tow trucks, utility vehicles...in most cases I could argue are NOT street rods!
  • I won't even get into Rat Rods.

At least my car can be considered a hot rod and my 58 Apache will be when done...even though it has a tow function. My car DOES have hot rod AND Street Rod INFLUENCE in it as well as drive train.

Now, let's talk about the cars INSIDE the buildings the last several years. I don't think I need to remind you that at LEAST half the cars INSIDE the buildings have been cars newer than 1948 for several years now.

Did you notice the Camaro only vendor booth doing a booming business on Saturday? Did you notice the frames and suspension parts for Camaros and Chevelles available at Heidts and Flaming River? Or Last year the vendor selling fiberglass Camaro and Cuda bodies?

I have been buying parts for my Chevelle there at the Nat the last 7 years! The drive train in my Chevelle and in most street rods are EXACTLY the SAME.

I bought my wheels at the nats several years ago, the alternator, wiring harness, and my A/C system in my Chevelle is from Vintage Air. Many other smaller parts on my Chevelle are also purchase from the Nats over the past 7 years.

Those vendors have been selling parts AT the nats for cars other than Street Rods for years now and they are showing it more and more in the products on display. So while nobody advertises it, the business of selling parts there has had an underground market going for years that is driving some of the change you see in the cars, and parts on display inside.

If you looked close, the new parts being judged for new product of the year ..some were for cars too new to be a street rod...by year definition.

Now let's talk NHRA. I won't go to one of their events. It's too danged expensive AND it appears to be mostly just racing. That is NOT what Hot Rods are ALL about, only one element. I think that the guy with the 55 gasser
would love to bring his car to a non-race car show about good ole American iron.

The guy with the cool 58 Impala or 59 El Camino would LOVE to come to a place they didn't have to pay a fortune to attend and then only watch racing. I know they can do it at a Good-Guys show, but what about the guys in the south that don't want to drive to Columbus?

Do you realize that if James Dean came back to life today and tried to drive through the gates in his Merc at the Nats they would turn him away by today's rules? How cool is that?

I agree with Duece that it WILL change. It's only a matter of time. The point I'd like to make is that if you MANAGE the change, instead of fighting it, you can limit it and manage it better than the Street Rod situation today of a whole lot of non street-rods coming through the gates.

Just because it's pre 49 doesn't make it a "Street Rod" ! But it is likely a street driven hot rod... which ....sure does get confusing ....

Steve
I understand where you are coming from...BUT I think the "open" shows and such might be what your look for. The NSRA is for pre-48...why do you insist on pushing it.

I was there when the classic chevy shows integrated the newer year cars and ...well it all went to hell. I was big into 55-57 chevys and still am but now when you go to a classic chevy show it is a mix...NOT THE SAME ATMOSPHERE. I want to talk tri-five not 68 camaro. Not that there is any thing wrong with a camaro, I have had a few,but I never tried bring them to a tri-five only event. Ever try to get a Big Mac at Burger King? same kind of burger joint ,...but different.

I have a 34 ford and when ever it ever gets done I would like to go hang with other "street rods" and compare notes. If I bring my 34 ford to a show with your truck it is just not the same as other pre-48 cars and trucks. When I want to see trucks to compare to the 55 BBW truck I have then I go to a truck event. Do you get it? I love all that is automotive,but open shows and cruises are for all. The specialized shows are not. If it ever changes to let all cars I will stop going to rod runs.

Next time there is a mopar only show go and see if you can show with them. I bet they turn you away. I am not trying to be mean I just don't think this is the best thing for our hobby.

This sort of thing is happening also to our local car club...We had a year cap and then somebody started letting new cars in the club....guess what happened....now we got a big mess and the feel of the club had changed and it is not fun anymore. The same will happen to the NSRA.....Get a rod if you must got to the events...you will be happier when you go..

As far as James Dean is concerned ,he is dead and well, leave him there. He was and actor and a drunk who raced. Rules are rules and that is wrong with this world.......everybody thinks rule don't apply to them so they try to bend them and then get mad when they are met with resistance by those who follow the rules....Of course changing the rules to fill ones wallet is another problem that is wrong with this world too but that another discussion...JMO Tim

Last edited by lets cut it up; 08-23-2008 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2008, 10:58 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58Apache
...or the only one willing to challenge the thinking of some stubborn guys not willing to share the playground?
I'm admittedly a little on the slow side but I don't understand this sentiment at all. Here in the Midwest we have "All Ford", "All Mopar", "All Chevy", "All Rat Rod", "All Custom", "All Truck", "All Lead Sled" and "All Muscle Car" shows throughout the summer. We also have "mixed" shows and "semi-mixed" shows (allows most but not all years of hot rods). And I can't imagine calling the organizers of these shows "stubborn" or unwilling to "share the playground". If they want to organize their groups and shows around one sub category of hot rods...what's the beef?

It just seems to me you want to make the category of "street rod" synonymous with the all encompassing category of "hot rod". And once you do that, the term looses its meaning altogether.

Arbitrary or not, the 1948 simply defines a certain era and type of hot rod, differentiating it from late model trucks, muscle cars, street machines, pro-street and the like. Sure, the term "street rod" could be opened up to include everybody and their brother...but then street rodders would simply invent a new term to identify their little corner of the hot rod community.

So is your point that you don't want '48 and earlier enthusiasts to have a special identity?
Old 08-23-2008, 12:35 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
............I think it will happen ... but when it does ... the NSRA events will be nothing more than a GoodGuys event IMHO.
I agree completely. Every year for the last 15 or so (before and after we moved to AZ) I have made the trip to the Nats. Columbus, Oak City, and Louisville. Once they let the newer cars in, and I think it is inevitable, there will be no reason for me to spend the money to continue to attend the Nats. I already have a GoodGuys show just 3 hours away down in Scottsdale so why drive 2 1/2 days to attend another.

Don't get me wrong, I love the muscle cars of the 60's and pretty much all the 50's cars. But when the NSRA starts letting in the newer cars into the Nats, we will most likely start scheduling our trips back east to attend the all Chrysler show at Carlsile or possibly the Mopar Nats instead.
Old 08-23-2008, 01:56 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I think it need's to stay the way it is.A street rod is a street rod,And hot rods are hot rods,And so on!!!!!
Old 08-23-2008, 07:55 PM

Last photo:

OK, I give..

Ok guys, I'll attend the shows that allow me in and won't try to dirty the grounds with my hot rod that doesn't deserve to share the ground with the rat rods at Louisville.

I was just curious how many would take your cars and go home so to speak.

When it happens don't blame me. I have no say. I don't know if I'll try to get in that first year or not. I prefer NSRA over GoodGuys for a couple of reasons. I sure hope they don't eventually allow ricers though.

One last thought before I let this thread die. There apparently is no clean lines in defining a street rod that I am satisfied with at this time other than 1948 being the last year of a street rod.

And anything a corporation can manufacture in fiberglass that looks reasonably close to 30's/40's qualifies where as a 1950's Detriot steel body does not. ok, I accept that.

Toyota 6 bangers work for a street rod, but a classic 348 American V-8 won't work in a newer vehicle. Ok,fine.

Rat rods are ok! ....alright, I accept that.

One thing I read in the magazine they put out when you get your package is a poll they published on what people liked best about the Nats. I'll never forget it! The poll asked: "what is it you like best about the Nats?". The answer that got the most votes was "the trip out there with good friends".

Guys, it goes way beyond the cars. The cars themselves are a small part of the overall experience. It goes in to good friends sharing good times, entertainment, education, going out for a good meal with good people, a chance to get away and immerse in a car culture.

When the year limit changes, non of that goes away. I sure hope to see plenty of 32's 33's and 34's among the 55's 56's 57's ...and may be even 58's? Maybe it won't happen for several years yet? I'll wait.

Steve
Old 08-23-2008, 08:06 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Ok guys, I'll attend the shows that allow me in and won't try to dirty the grounds with my hot rod that doesn't deserve to share the ground with the rat rods at Louisville.

Quote:
Guys, it goes way beyond the cars. The cars themselves are a small part of the overall experience. It goes in to good friends sharing good times, entertainment, education, going out for a good meal with good people, a chance to get away and immerse in a car culture.

Quote:
I sure hope they don't eventually allow ricers though.

I'm not mad, and I am not picking on you...but... ...

look at 3 things you put in the last post.

EDIT: I guess what I am saying, is like the issues here in CT with yups moving into once-country settings on nice cutesy farm roads. They find some land, build their monster, but then want the town to restrict ANY more building permits because the road & town won't look the same. So, you want the rats & ricers excluded, but want your "too new" truck and chevelle to be included.......because those 2 are "more" of a streetrod than a rat or ricer??

Last edited by F&J; 08-23-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Last photo:

Rats!

The rats are here to stay. http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/newr...e=1&p=1010332#

Like them or not they fit into the broad qualification of anything before 1948 is a "Street Rod".

The term Hot Rod is a little more definable. So is ricer, although it's getting a little more gray now.

You already have Ricer engines in Street Rods though. So change is happening, and not everyone will like the change, but many have accepted the change that has already happened and moved on.

I don't like some things done to some cars of the 60's and don't care for some of the cultures of some car guys. I seem to get along with most Street Rodders and most Hot Rodders I have met.

I don't care for burn outs, but will watch the stupidity just for the sake of wonderment at how someone could do that! Doesn't mean I want to hang out with them. The guys I like to hang out with have a little more sense. Will I lay a little scratch now and then? You betcha! But the line between a demonstration of power and demonstration of stupidity is pretty clear to me. Maybe not someone else, and that's ok. But I watch and accept, while I don't always agree.

We all have our opinions, likes and dislikes, and won't always agree on everything. And that's ok! That's what freedom is all about. Thank a vet!

Steve
Old 08-24-2008, 05:21 PM

Last photo:

NSRA open to newer cars?

I dont want a change,if you want to look at or show with muscle cars, do it. I wouldnt show up at a Vintage Packard show or the Mopar Nats with my 46 Ford. Las Vegas had a HUGE Corvette Organization and you can bet your sweet backside no Mustangs ever showed up at their events. I prefer cruises to shows any time, (I am non-denominational) just no hassle and a great variety of people.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:04 PM

Last photo:

NSRA Nats revisit

Ok, I threw this out there a couple of years ago because I seen the change coming, and wanted it to within reason. I also seen the line being drawn in the sand.

I stand with the "nothing newer than 72" logic, but the extremely small percentage of mid to late 70's cars that came to the NSRA Nationals were few and far between.

I seen some fantastic Detroit Iron from the 50's, 60's and early 70's.

I tried to make the point that the change was coming and that we need to manage it instead of drawing the line in the sand and falling on swords.

I liked most of what I seen and prefer a lot of 50's and 60's cars to a lot of 40's and 20's... just my opinion.

I seen some fantastic cars that would not have made it in last year, and a lot more cars that I personally liked!

I also seen a significant increase in younger people attending.

If the NSRA can define what a Street Rod is in the first place, they can danged sure well re-define it as well!

Not all change is bad!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coming in rear.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	47272   Click image for larger version

Name:	before the gates.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	440.8 KB
ID:	47273   Click image for larger version

Name:	coming in close up 2.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	47274   Click image for larger version

Name:	comin in close up.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	335.8 KB
ID:	47275   Click image for larger version

Name:	Salute.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	47276  

Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 PM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

NSRA, national street rod assoc. And there are muscle cars, two completely different types of machines.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Two types of machines

I can see where someone might think that they are two different types of machines .......for a VERY short time period!

The NSRA manufactured the definition of what a "Street Rod" is and it didn't exist before they did! Then by not enforcing a strict rule guideline things seemed to fall into gray areas.

The NSRA is NOT a club that votes by membership. It's a privately owned business that has to survive in a tough economy.

I think I can argue that my flame engulfed 1969 is more of a "Street Rod" than many cars that came through the gates the last few years!

I don't understand the logic of excluding cool cars from the show because of age. I do know that it worked to get in younger people and that's a good thing!

So while 21 years difference in manufacture from the same place is a sin, replicars that loosely resemble older cars are perfectly fine? Rat Rods are fine? The list goes on!

Trying to restrict the entry is not good business sense. It's also not a true car lover's logic.

A cool car is a cool car, no matter the year of manufacture. Heck I like some of the new muscle coming out today and don't mind seeing it at the local cruise-ins!
Old 08-10-2010, 11:53 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:

Personally to me street rods are wanbe hotrods anyway, no go twinkly, twinkly little chrome star.

The idea that one takes a car that is just rusted and bashed up, fixes it, slaps fancy paint on it and basically looks stock in the end is boring.

A hotrod needs pizazz , in your face no fenders, side pipes and loud, thats appealing.

I am not king so all I say is just the way I view the world. I like cars and a fine well finished machine is t i t s in my book. I only see American iron when I go to the shows, big honking American iron.
Old 09-13-2012, 03:52 PM

NSRA 48 & older

NSRA this weekend in Kalamazoo Michigan You can get in with a 1982 or older. I have been going for years with my 53 chevy pu but it looks like a 48 so who knows? Used to be about 2800 to 3000 cars but now about 1800. some real nice newer stuff there

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.