Numbers on a engine - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Numbers on a engine

Hi Guys
This one has me confused. Can anyone tell me what the numbers on this front pad are for? ( See attached photos ) They look so large that I am thinking maybe a re stamp for some reason. You can see the I.D code letters to the left of the large numbers. They are J.C. and the motor is a 427 c.c. Has anyone seen numbers this large, about 1/4 inch or more. Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	motornumbers.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	50928  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 10:30 AM

Is this a partial VIN number of the vehicle that the engine came out of?
Old 12-18-2010, 10:55 AM

Last photo:

I do not think so. There are smaller numbers to the left of the large numbers but the only small numbers and letters I can make out is J C at the end of them. You can see the C in the picture.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

No expert, but I would agree that they are a restamp of some sort. To the upper left is the remnents of a real factory stamping (C). From my experience, the factory stampings should like up nearly perfectly straight. They used a stamp anvil that held all the numbers and letters in an even row, not individually stamped.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 AM

Last photo:

That is what I was thinking but was not sure. Thought J.C. is the end of the I.D. code. I think this could make it a 1967, L72 427 out of a Vett. But the large numbers threw me for a loop. Why would someone stamp a engine with numbers that mean nothing? At least nothing to me.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:56 AM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

I'm guessing a serial number for a crate engine. Looks pretty clean from what I can see. What's the deal? Yours, someone else's, looking to buy?
Might try looking on the side of the block for a metal plate glued to it with a manufacturer's name. I found two on my small block after I pulled it from a 79 truck. Even though they were blank, upon removal I discovered the manf. name and serial number on the backside. I guess it was done that way to protect the name and numbers from the elements. I got the name, looked them up on the web, called them and found all the info I needed on the engine. Maybe you can get lucky like I did.

Last edited by sqzbox; 12-18-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:05 PM

Last photo:

Wish I could be that lucky to find all the information on it. But the only thing on the side is the date code. 2-28-67 or 68,69 it is to hard to read. I bought this motor this summer and after some work to it placed it in my 1967 Camaro. I do not know how they stamped create motors back then. Do you think there is a way to check create motor numbers?
Old 12-18-2010, 08:47 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtimercarnut
Wish I could be that lucky to find all the information on it. But the only thing on the side is the date code. 2-28-67 or 68,69 it is to hard to read. I bought this motor this summer and after some work to it placed it in my 1967 Camaro. I do not know how they stamped create motors back then. Do you think there is a way to check create motor numbers?
Nix on the # ID. It's realy just a number provided for ID by the manufacturer or builder. Without knowing who did it your in the dark.
Old 12-18-2010, 09:00 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Update, I googled your #. typed in "engine code 79519C". Apparently your not the only one with this code and it is a 69 427 from what I could tell. Maybe even a COPO engine. Check it out and hope this helps.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:29 AM

Last photo:

I bought the motor from a guy that was going to build a car to place it in. He never got to the project and sold it to me. The best part is he bought it from a guy that said it was a 454 out of a 1969 Camaro he owned. I know the 3963 512 block could be either motor. But when I found the date on the side of the block and not on the back flange I decided to check it internally and it was a 427. I am thinking that the first seller's 1969 Camaro may have been a Copo or Yenko and he didn't know it. After all this took place approximately 20 miles from Canonsburgh Pa. where the Yenko shop was.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.