nut fell in the intake - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM
JS-70

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Maybe you can borascope through the spark plug holes. I have a small Snap on camera that I could use for that sort of thing.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Wait you were driving and the nut loosened itself, went against gravity, upwards on the air cleaner stud, fell perfectly straight down, through the solid metal air cleaner top and into the engine and somehow you witnessed this through the steel hood from inside the car while driving? And then when you saw this with your wizard x-ray vision you decided to keep driving the car which has hardware that works against the laws of gravity and physics? Yea.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:14 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Because he said he has something pinging around in the engine the logical deduction ,lost nut or not,he needs to look closely at that.And the last touch rule applies.What was the last thing he touched working on the engine??.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:22 PM
carb junkie

thanks for all the suggestions. and to those who asked. i know it whent into the carb because it happened right when i was about to park. the bolt that hold the air cleaner on my motor is kinda of ghetto so it had a nut on the bottom to sort of lock the bolt to the carb to keep it from backing out. i originally thought it was a belt slapping and looked under the hood and noticed the bolt had backed out and was loose. i immediately new what it was. i took the air cleaner off and low and behold the nut on the bottom of the bolt was missing and there was only one place it could go.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:30 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

OK...that makes more sense.....We were all thinking it was the wing nut you were talking about...I can see the lock nut working loose.

Still think you should pll carb, fish around and go from there

Budget RVs
Old 03-01-2013, 03:42 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Ok that makes more sense. At least now you learned your lesson to do things right the first time.
You might get lucky and have it sitting on a valve. Don't run it any more till you find it.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:51 PM
NEVER SATISFIED !!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullandpistons View Post
thanks for all the suggestions. and to those who asked. i know it whent into the carb because it happened right when i was about to park. the bolt that hold the air cleaner on my motor is kinda of ghetto so it had a nut on the bottom to sort of lock the bolt to the carb to keep it from backing out. i originally thought it was a belt slapping and looked under the hood and noticed the bolt had backed out and was loose. i immediately new what it was. i took the air cleaner off and low and behold the nut on the bottom of the bolt was missing and there was only one place it could go.
This still doesn't make sense to me. Are we talking about the nut that locks the air cleaner stud to the carb ? Or maybe it's something that I can't picture.

Anyway, good luck !!

454 RATTLER
Old 03-01-2013, 04:37 PM
HOT ROD...... FROM A CHRYSLER?

Last wiki edit: Metal shaping
Last journal entry: FLOOR BEADS
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler View Post
This still doesn't make sense to me. Are we talking about the nut that locks the air cleaner stud to the carb ? Or maybe it's something that I can't picture.

Anyway, good luck !!

454 RATTLER
That's it. Maybe not an official stud but a piece of all thread and a nut to lock it.

I've made them up like that before.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454 Rattler View Post

Anyway, good luck !!

454 RATTLER
He had a bolt to hold the air cleaner down with a nut that hit the top of the carb to lock it down. Should have just put a bolt, the nut was a stupid idea. (no offense)
Old 03-01-2013, 05:43 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullandpistons View Post
thats not ghetto.. but next time.. put red lock tight on the nut so it can't come off the stud even if the stud backs off..
Old 03-01-2013, 05:48 PM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog7373 View Post
He had a bolt to hold the air cleaner down with a nut that hit the top of the carb to lock it down. Should have just put a bolt, the nut was a stupid idea. (no offense)
a bolt is another way..
but most that have lost the carbs original air cleaner stud that has a built in stop.. they use standard 1/4 thread rod and a nut as a stop. as to not let the rod thread to far into the carb body and crack the mount.
his only mistake was not use'n red locktight on the nut..
I tack weld mine so it'll never move..
hard way to learn that a 1.59 tube of lock tight would've stopped this from happening..
hopefully it's in the intake and an eazy fix...
Old 03-01-2013, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

The whole point of this is not totally to get out the nut,but also to see what damage was done.RIGHT??. I have never met anyone after spending good money for a build,will fudge a repair.To me the cost of a gasket set is well worth it.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:40 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
The whole point of this is not totally to get out the nut,but also to see what damage was done.RIGHT??. I have never met anyone after spending good money for a build,will fudge a repair.To me the cost of a gasket set is well worth it.
if the nuts in the intake.. all you have to do is a leakdown test, you'll know right then if a valve face or seat is damaged.. no need to open it up.. other than like'n to waste money and time.. if it past the valve you already know there is damage..
Old 03-02-2013, 06:25 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearheadslife View Post
if the nuts in the intake.. all you have to do is a leakdown test, you'll know right then if a valve face or seat is damaged.. no need to open it up.. other than like'n to waste money and time.. if it past the valve you already know there is damage..
I respectfully disagree.The reason why is after all the time and money to get the intake runner just right,to have a nut bouncing around even on the back side of the valve can't be good.I would want to know where I'm at for certain.That is the reason why I built it.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 AM
More bucks, go faster!

Last photo:

OK let me put my two cents in. I had a similar experience years ago. Lost a 1/4 inch nut down the carb. I didn't know where it went until I fired it up. Funny noise. End result? One broken piston, one bent valve, and one cracked block.
My advice? Don't run it until you find that nut. Do all the things everyone else has suggested and dismantle your engine as far down as you have to. It will be cheaper in the long run.

BB

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.