Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - nv4500 or 4l80e?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
Not bad choices at all for the flywheel and clutch kit, you can get the alignment tool at a local parts store for less than Summit had listed on the one link you posted, I think I paid less than $2 for mine when I got it.

You might also want to see if you can get the driveshafts for that specific transmission / transfer case combination also, I know they might be different than what you already have, I just don't know by how much.

I was lucky enough to have at least 4 other 2-piece driveshafts in parts storage and could get what I needed just by measuring and swapping the front half when I did my auto to manual transmission swap.

I don't use the 6.55 geared first gear much when starting out in the Suburban, and have actually started out in 3rd gear while pulling my snowplow truck out of where it had been sitting for over 2 years while I was away from home working.

I'm thinking about swapping the suspension under the Suburban from 2 wheel drive to 4 wheel drive next summer, as I have started driving it again and this 9 inches of snow and a driveway on a hill make it a little more difficult to get out when I need to.
the nv4500 is only 1/8" longer then the 4l60e. i could switch the gasket between the trans/transfer case for silicone to pick up that minor difference lol. my drive shaft was actually a little short because of the 6" lift kit on this truck, then i swapped a 14 bolt rear end in and it shoved the drive shaft back up in there, its about stock now. but the truck has a bit of a lean back to it, im going top put a 1" lift shackle on it, that will pull the driveshaft out a little bit more, and then with the trans 1/8" longer, it should be right on the money. the front drive shaft is a slip shaft and it can give an 1/8 inch obviously. i payed the salvage yard over the phone just a moment ago, all my goodies are on there way, just need to order the clutch, throwout bearing and pilot bearing. ill have to go to the dealer and order the clutch pedel bracket, i doubt the salvage yard will cut the bracket off of the dash sub frame for me. i just have to cross my fingers now that nobody put the wrong fluid in that nv4500, dont want worn out synchros. i wont know till i get it.

well im heading outside now to rip out that pos 4l60e.