nv4500 or 4l80e? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2010, 09:00 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by a progress journal? is there a section on the forum for that or something? im not all that familiar with this forum.

ill get some pics tomorow as progress goes on. as of now the interior is striped down pretty good and the trans and such is out, iv got my drivers seat in the living room so it doesnt get wet outside, makes a good seat to watch tv in, gives the house a nice white trash touche too

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2010, 01:32 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Transmission identification
Last journal entry: 1988 Suburban, the project continues.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Up at the top of every page there is a link that says "Project Journals", just click to get in there, you will find a link to start your own journal, you will need to enter your username and password that you access the forums here with, and you can start your own journal.

There is also a link on every user's post to access their journal, I ahve 2 in every post, the normal one is in the upper right of each post, and I also have one titled "I'm actually making progress. . . " in my signature line at the bottom of all my posts.

I dumped a TH-700R4 for an SM-465 manual when I failed to adjust the TV cable when I rebuilt my TBI unit and added the spacers, I told ALL about that little adventure in my journal, along with swapping the manual transmission and all clutch components from an old 1980 truck I disassembled here years ago, but kept all the parts to do this swap sometime if I ever found the need or time, which I found both here recently.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM

Last photo:

cool, ill do that a little later.

im having trouble deciding on my flywheel. i can get a good deal on a very expensive aluminum flywheel on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-A...Q5fCarQ5fParts

or i can get a lightweight billet steel unit for about 130 bucks.

are light weight flywheels any weeker then a heavier unit? will aluminum last? i would think the steel flywheel would last much longer.
Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

the problem with making my own short throw is wouldnt that give me too much ranch of motion on the bottom half, allowing me to over shift the trans? i would need to figure out a way to put stops in it. or is there really a such thing as "overshifting a transmission" anyway?

iv got 2 shift towers on my hands, the one that came on the trans is broke so they credited me the money to get a new one. so iv got the parts to play with.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:53 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

There are stops built into the transmission.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M CUSTOM
There are stops built into the transmission.
sweet, so all i gotta do is lengthen the bottom end of the deal and add an equivalent spacer beneath the sift tower? sounds easy enough. why does nobody do this? probably because its a truck transmission and im the only idiot hot roding a big pickup truck lol
Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy1500z71
sounds easy enough. why does nobody do this? probably because its a truck transmission and im the only idiot hot roding a big pickup truck lol
Most people are NOT mechanically inclined, or are and would just rather spend money hand over fist to keep from getting "dirty". You aren't the only one doing this, I swapped the auto for the truck 4 speed into my Suburban, most others would want to go the other way, but I am also looking at swapping the auto out of my malibu for a standard too. That swap WILL have a hydraulic clutch assembly, even though I have all the mechanical linkage parts here.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Most people are NOT mechanically inclined, or are and would just rather spend money hand over fist to keep from getting "dirty". You aren't the only one doing this, I swapped the auto for the truck 4 speed into my Suburban, most others would want to go the other way, but I am also looking at swapping the auto out of my malibu for a standard too. That swap WILL have a hydraulic clutch assembly, even though I have all the mechanical linkage parts here.
yea, i cant lie, its nice when you can just order a part ofr it and be done. even if they made on tho, im a broke *** 19 year old, so id still make it. i think thats where alot of ingenuity and learning comes from really, just being to poor to afford anything but doing it yourself. its a love hate relationship for me, i love it, im obvoisley hopelessly adicted to the hobby, but man im sick of working on this truck, it causes me so much pain yet i love it so much anyway. homemade short throw sounds liek a good little project for me to tackle today, far too hung over to do any real dirty work lol

heres what i cam up with for the dash, painted over the park neutral, drive, ect lights/indicators, and painted over the apply brake to shift warning, and added a little bowtie for a little custom touch. im really impressed with how it came out to be honest
notice the stopers are removed, the tach rolls over to the 20mph mark and iv had the speedometer need BURIED at the bottom of the cluster lol

i wish i could have come up with better to cover the shifter hole in the column but this is all i could muster up for now. no finished product picture, it came out ok.

and i didnt want to buy a brake pedal so i sectioned it and broke out the old buzz box and burned it together

thanks for all the input, ill report back with what i come up with. ill probably hack my broken shift tower and use it as a spacer plate so i can have a fairly tall spacer.

while im whoring out pictures, ill show off my new exhaust too

3" pipe into 5" race flowmaster with a 4" tip, flows like a mother, sounds awesome and looks mean... or atleast i think, my buddy's say its too big and looks goofy, i though a 500+hp motor deserved a less practical more fitting exhaust system. i like it.

dont believe iv ever showed my truck on here either, here it is, looks just like any old turd truck, doest get much compliments or looks, if they only knew whats in it lol

Last edited by chevy1500z71; 01-10-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:57 PM

Last photo:

the short throw is coming along pretty nicely. i pulled the roll pin, moved it all the way out and burned it together the onmly thing is it used to slide in with several o-rings around it to dampen it, now its just solid, will that cause me any issues? i added about an inch, ill go to the machine shop and see if they can make me an equivalent spacer tomorrow.

stock for comparison

EDIT, my picture of it stock sucks, you can get a better look here
http://quad4x4.com/images/nv4500%20s...arts%20039.jpg

Last edited by chevy1500z71; 01-10-2010 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:20 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Quote:
looks just like any old turd truck, doest get much compliments or looks, if they only knew whats in it lol
Well.... Let's see what's in it.

I'm curious to hear how the short throw shifter on a NV4500 is going to work out. My truck has a NV4500 and it's a big, slow shifting transmission. I can't really picture what it would be like trying to shift it with a short throw shifter.

I do like having the manual transmission but I think if I had a truck like yours I would have gone with the 4L80E.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:19 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Well.... Let's see what's in it.

I'm curious to hear how the short throw shifter on a NV4500 is going to work out. My truck has a NV4500 and it's a big, slow shifting transmission. I can't really picture what it would be like trying to shift it with a short throw shifter.

I do like having the manual transmission but I think if I had a truck like yours I would have gone with the 4L80E.
time for a change, i want to throw a stick around

you wana see what its got? ill whore it out, tons of pics n vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8SNIrEO43s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06LIOzgkt4Y

its a 4 bolt main 355 with lightweight forged lunati pistons, lunati cam, dart iron eagle heads, of course the blower(makin 9psi), methanol injection, big block throttle body and injectors, fuel pressure 3x stock, 6.something mpg.

new rear end(detroit w/4.56)

Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
i pulled the roll pin, moved it all the way out and burned it together the onmly thing is it used to slide in with several o-rings around it to dampen it, now its just solid, will that cause me any issues? i added about an inch, ill go to the machine shop and see if they can make me an equivalent spacer tomorrow.
The O-rings are about the first thing to go in the shifters, they were a part of the oil in my transmission a LONG time ago, and with all the slop in my shifter I decided to make a bronze bushing slip fit into the shifter top portion.
I used the bench grinder to remove material down far enough to get it close with a slight taper to make sure it would self center as I pounded it in place with a 3 pound hammer and block of wood in the bench vise, it went from about a 15-degree arc of movement down to about 5 degrees, I didn't want to make it solid at the time, but looking back on it I could have without any problem.

I ended up breaking the welds on the collar where the factory spot welded it to the main part of the shifter handle, and ended up welding too much metal into the area, with the extra material I ended up losing first and third gears- because the shifter just wasn't able to clear the lower rocker portion of the assembly and up on taking the shifter out clearly seen what needed to be done. Grinding about 1/16th inch off the front and rear of the weld just below the rocker ball fixed it.

Extending the insert like you did will allow you to change the shifter throw when you raise the shifter and ball assembly the same amount you extended it, 1-inch should have cut your shift throws in half. My transmission cannot be modified in the same way as the top cover on the SM-465 has the shift rails IN the top cover of the transmission, but most people are unaware of the differences in the covers that will allow a different throw cover and shifter to be swapped on a different transmission.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:37 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The O-rings are about the first thing to go in the shifters, they were a part of the oil in my transmission a LONG time ago, and with all the slop in my shifter I decided to make a bronze bushing slip fit into the shifter top portion.
I used the bench grinder to remove material down far enough to get it close with a slight taper to make sure it would self center as I pounded it in place with a 3 pound hammer and block of wood in the bench vise, it went from about a 15-degree arc of movement down to about 5 degrees, I didn't want to make it solid at the time, but looking back on it I could have without any problem.

I ended up breaking the welds on the collar where the factory spot welded it to the main part of the shifter handle, and ended up welding too much metal into the area, with the extra material I ended up losing first and third gears- because the shifter just wasn't able to clear the lower rocker portion of the assembly and up on taking the shifter out clearly seen what needed to be done. Grinding about 1/16th inch off the front and rear of the weld just below the rocker ball fixed it.

Extending the insert like you did will allow you to change the shifter throw when you raise the shifter and ball assembly the same amount you extended it, 1-inch should have cut your shift throws in half. My transmission cannot be modified in the same way as the top cover on the SM-465 has the shift rails IN the top cover of the transmission, but most people are unaware of the differences in the covers that will allow a different throw cover and shifter to be swapped on a different transmission.
well im glad to here i wont hurt anything by removing the o-ring style setup that it had. the long throws are the only thing that really made me think twice about doing this swap, becasue i run this truck at the drag strip and it cuts prety good times, i really dont want to loose that. the short throws are going to be nice and all, but wont it still be a slugish shifting transmission? iv never owned a vehicle with a manual, so i wont even know the difference but from what i here, these dont really like to be banged around, regardless of the throw.

i ran into an issue with the bell housing today that really pisses me off, i cant use my kick out oil pan becasue it hits the slave cylinder. this is the "internal slave cylinder" model, but i dont really understand what the difference is? will an earlier model external slave cylinder allow me to use this oil pan?
Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I don't have a clue about the newer bellhousings, but I know you can add a slave cylinder to an older bellhousing from either direction form the kits I have seen recently allowing an external slave to be used, another option is the hydraulic throwout bearing, it can connect right into the hydraulic clutch line from the stock systems in many different vehicles.

I have also seen hydraulic bellhousings with the slave cylinders on the right side as well as the left side fo the housing.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I don't have a clue about the newer bellhousings, but I know you can add a slave cylinder to an older bellhousing from either direction form the kits I have seen recently allowing an external slave to be used, another option is the hydraulic throwout bearing, it can connect right into the hydraulic clutch line from the stock systems in many different vehicles.

I have also seen hydraulic bellhousings with the slave cylinders on the right side as well as the left side fo the housing.
iv decided on just swapping the oil pan, mainly becasue iv got a circle track pan on a pickup truck that will never see a left hand turn past 35mph lol... came with the motor, and it held 7 quarts, so iv been using it. i believe this si what iv got http://www.kevkoracing.com/images/1086_full.gif not really the pan for the job (anyone wana buy a circle track pan?)

anyway, i havnt gotten any progress done, had to go to college Tuesday, i went to the place that pulled my wisdom teeth to check up on some swelling and they put me under and cut my mouth up some more today, gota go to college tomorrow mornin too.

got my new shift tower today so ill finish up the short throw tomorrow.

i really haven't even looked at the transmission i purchased becasue i havnt got a chance to clean it, i noticed the input shaft has a very small amount of play in it. is it normal to have some amount of play, im talking about something like 1/32 of an inch here, its not much, im just very paranoid of using questionable parts. hopefully ill get a chance to actually look inside this thing soon and ill probably tack weld the 5th gear nut if its all good.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.