Nylon vs Polyester thread? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Interior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 10:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nylon vs Polyester thread?

What are the pros and cons of each? Can both be used in automotive applications?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Nylon thread is slightly stronger than polyester, but the Sunguard polyester thread I use handles UV rays better, so it is better for sewing things that will be outside in the sun, like a boat interior or boat cover, or a convertible top. Yes, you could use either one in auto upholstery. My personal preference is Sunguard #92 polyester for most things and #138 and #207 polyester for top stitching.

The only thing to worry about is mixing the two threads. If you sew with #69 nylon, then use #69 nylon for bobbin thread. Because nylon is stronger than polyester, #69 nylon could possibly cut #69 polyester. It wouldn't be a problem for you if you wind your own bobbins, but I use pre-wound bobbins so I have to watch what I'm doing when changing the bobbin.

Don't get suckered in by nylon monofilament thread. It sounds like a good idea because it will blend in with every color, but it also gets warm and stretches as it goes through the sewing machine, and could fail a lot sooner, and is absolutely no good for anything that will be outside in the sun.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-18-2010 at 07:35 AM.
Old 02-17-2010, 02:47 PM

Most of that is correct but actually poly is a little stronger than nylon. Example 69 poly tensile strength is 11 lb, nylon is 10.5 lb's. Also one thing to add is nylon holds colors better than polyester. Polyester will fade quicker than nylon. The main reason you do not want to mix poly and nylon threads is one is going to be more abrasive than the other and it this difference that can cause one thread to cut the other.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewone
The main reason you do not want to mix poly and nylon threads is one is going to be more abrasive than the other and it this difference that can cause one thread to cut the other.
That is exactly what I said.

Welcome to the Hotrodders Bulletin Board. Sewone, are you Cody or Robert?

There are hundreds of different kinds of thread. I was referring to the Sunguard polyester thread that I use, which is more colorfast and UV resistant than nylon. Regular polyester thread may be less colorfast than nylon. The QTC size 69 nylon thread I use is rated at 11 lbs. of tensile strength. This nylon thread in size 92 is rated at 14.5 lbs of tensile strength. The Sunguard size 92 thread I buy is rated at 14 lbs of tensile strength which would not be as strong as the nylon of the same size.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:57 PM

This is Cody, Robert is no longer here. Customer told me about this site so I was checking it out. I am new to this type of forum and just wanted to added some more experience. You bring up another good point manufacture and type of bonding process makes a difference. I missed the mentioning of the sunguard in the first posting.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:17 PM

Last photo:

hey cody welcome aboard, wife has the machine all set up , lol. patrick
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sewone
This is Cody, Robert is no longer here. Customer told me about this site so I was checking it out. I am new to this type of forum and just wanted to added some more experience. You bring up another good point manufacture and type of bonding process makes a difference. I missed the mentioning of the sunguard in the first posting.
Hi Cody: I bought my Consew 255RB-3 from you, and have had my 226 repaired and serviced by you since I've owned it.

I only use Sunguard #92 and larger thread for interior work, but I didn't mention it in my first post, so I'll go back and edit it.

For those of you looking for a good sewing machine dealer, check out Cody's web site: CLICK HERE He's in Janesville, Wisconsin which is in Rock County in the southern part of the state. He's about 300 miles from me.

Last edited by DanTwoLakes; 02-18-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Here is a link to information on polyester thread from The Thread Exchange: CLICK HERE

Old 02-18-2010, 08:02 AM

Last photo:

yeah cody is a good man and industrial sewing machine dealer. His shop is about 30 miles north of the illinois border . BTW DAN TWO LAKES, IM from around your neck of the woods, your other post brang back memories of grooming snowmobile trails. pat
Old 02-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Where are you from? I gave up grooming after 14 years 2 years ago, but I just got back from a 500 mile snowmobile trip into the U.P. of Michigan.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

DAN TWO LAKES , 500 miles on a snowmobile is no small feat , i know the suspension has improved a great deal since my 91 indy 650, but my body hasnt kept up to the technology. Did you take the run upto Copper Harbor , or Bruces crossing way? I lived in Eagle River, went to tech school in Wausau, and back to Park falls where my folks had a business. I use to have a gf in the U.P. Eagle River to Houghton, on a 79 AC Eltigre 5000. I sure miss it up there, beautiful country, retirement might be Somewhere between park falls and glidden. DAN TWO LAKES its been a pleasure to speak with you , Patrick
Old 02-18-2010, 01:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Hey Patrick: We went to Watersmeet for the Super Bowl, went to Houghton-Hancock the next day, went to Copper Harbor and back, went back to Watersmeet, and then came home the next day. We were gone from Sunday at 11:00am until Thursday at noon.

The difference between my 2005 Ski-Doo GSX 600 SDI and your 1991 Indy 650 is like the difference between a grocery cart and a Ferrari.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:15 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

I tend to find brands I like and stick to them. I have used Linhanyl brand thread for years without any issues. I use mainly 92 Nylon and 138 Nylon. 138 if I want a bold look to my top stitching. If I'm sewing something that needs beefy thread, and needs to be super strong, I have a saddle stitching machine that I use 277 Nylon on. I personally like to wind my own bobbins, I keep a ton of spare bobbins on hand, and wind up a bunch before a project. That way I know the thread is a perfect match.

138 on the left, 92 on the right...

Gotta have a shiny red glitter sewing machine table...

And a couch that matches!

Old 02-19-2010, 04:39 PM

Last photo:

Kristkustoms thats an awesome looking shop you have there. I know nothing about sewing but i want to set the wife up well. She does the sewing i just sit back and watch, lol. I have her going to aterations coarse starting tuesday and a home upholstery coarse also to get the idea of pattern cutting. She is from the Philippines , she has been sewing since she was young, and i have quite a few projects here she can experiment on . I showed her your pictures and she just smiled, patrick
Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 PM
First name...............Shawn

Last photo:

In my opinion, if your shop isn't neat, tidy, and "inviting," you have a shop that is not going to promote very productive work. And it needs to be "inviting" so you will want to be there. I couldn't work in a messy or dingy shop, I wouldn't want to work, I would just want to get the heck out of there as soon as I could!

Recent Interior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.