Hot Rod Forum banner

Obd 2

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  spinn 
#1 ·
Are their any windows based OBD 2 programs,like something on a disc that I can install on an older unused computer.Then a cable that would plug into the port under the dash an I could read real time. I'm looking for something that is more acturate than driving to auto parts an them giving me a print out from their portable OBD 2 scanner.

#2 ·
You can buy a handheld OBDII scanner on E Bay for 20-40 bucks that will do real well.
Take a look around over there. Actron,Cen - Tech, and others for a real low price. Easier to jump in the car with too.
Laptop setups are best for tuning , basic diagnostics and real time data are best left to read with small portable scanners as described.

#4 · (Edited)
I have a "brick" ( MTG 2500 snap on) It has all but one update, american, jap and europian up to 05.
I also use a Launch X 431 And it is WAAAAAAYYYYYY better than ANY snap on , especially when it comes to price.
A comparable snap on would be 22,000-25,000 as compared to about 4500 for a Launch X 431 w/bluetooth connector. Works on any car in the world
I was looking on E bay and there are plenty of scanner code readers for 20-40 bucks.
You can buy a new actron at Advanced auto for about 40 bucks,codes and live data.

#7 ·
I have a cheap Actron that does a good job of scanning...but that's all it does. If any of you guys with the Snap on "brick" with a cartridge for OBD1 GM ('95 B body Impala SS) and you no longer use it, I would be a buyer for a fair price. I'm just a hobby mechanic and can't justify paying the giant price for the newer Snap On stuff. Thank's, Bill.

#8 ·
Five or six years ago, I was able to find a free OBDII diagnostic program by searching the web. But I did have to buy an adapter that went from the OBDII port on the car to a Serial connector on the adapter.
Then I had to go to an electronics store, and buy a male DB9 (computer serial port) connector, some multi conductor cable, and another DB9 connector to put on the computer end of the cable.

I also had to get a laptop with a serial connector on it, running a compatable, no longer supported windows operating system to run the program.

If I need to do this again, I will probably just buy something ready to use.

#9 ·
There are a ton of free programs. Most are code readers with some basic pid displays like engine temp o2 voltage and stuff like that. i used to use one called Digimoto lite for just basic stuff. None of the cheapos do any b- directional testing or air bag or abs.
A friend of mine has scan Xl which does do some airbag and ABS but it is not free.

#10 · (Edited)
I was wanting something that would give a more indepth answer. I have a 01 Nissin Frontier that has a mulitable misfire code,reading that would make me think that its a spark plug or wire problem but its not its a fuel injector problem. I was thinking that their might be a OBD program that cloud pin point witch injector or be able to compare all injectors, then I could only fool around with the one that is bad. This is a 3.3 v6 and I can only get to 3 injectors the others are under the intake man./runners.I would have to take that off to get to them.
One other question,can these injectors (Nissan) be taken apart an cleaned up?

#13 ·
How did you determine it is a fuel injector problem. What have you done to this vehicle so far. Was the only code p0300. There are many things that can cause these issues. Vacuum leak, stuck EGR, bad crank or cam sensor, low fuel pressure. Those vehicles had issues with sticing egr valves and the egr ports plugging up. Pull the egr and check it and the ports that lead away from it. You may find they are plugged

To get a scanner that will help you determine what the issue is would be quite expensive.

#11 ·
I don't currently own any obd2 cars but the absolute coolest solution I've discovered recently is a bluetooth module like this one: Newegg.com - Super Mini ELM327 V1.5 OBDII OBD2 Interface Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scanner . There are a some others but I imagine they all use the same chip set and are just built by other companies. There is a smartphone app(android and iphone, I believe) called Torque that is about $5. If/when I get another car that is obd2, I would just leave this plugged in all the time. You could pull codes while eating your burger at the drive-in.

#12 ·
First thing. You need to know what the fuel pressure is. Not all fuel injected can monitor fuel pressure. I would suggest a fuel pressure gauge is more important than a code scanner.

Is there any way you can reach, or touch the actual fuel injector on all cylinders? Sometimes you can feel if one is firing, or not just by putting your finger tip on it. Holding a hose, near, or on the injector and up to your ear, you might be able to hear a difference. Same idea with a long screwdriver.

I am not saying it is impossible that the fuel injectors need cleaning, but I am sceptical.
I have a 1996 Ford Aerostar, bought new. Around 18,000 miles I had a problem with the brake light switch, and had to take it to the selling dealer for warranty replacement of the switch. The service manager tried very hard to upsell me a fuel injector cleaning, that I would of course have to pay for. The van now has 189,xxx miles on it, and has had the head gasket replaced twice, once by a Ford dealer, in Redding, California, and one by me. I do not know if the dealer cleaned the fuel injectors when the head gasket was replaced, and I only lightly brushed the exterior, and the manifold end with a very soft brush, and gasoline.

Modern engines are designed to run 100,000 miles before needing service. Another reason I am sceptical about fuel injection cleaning.
A third reason I am sceptical about fuel injector cleaning is this. One of the best solvents for cleaning engine parts is gasoline.
One of the best ways to use any solvent to clean anything is to squirt it through a nozzle at high pressure. This is why a pressure washer, with plain water works so good at cleaning your patio, or deck.

I am going to suggest one of the cleanest places in your engine is the fuel injector nozzle.

#14 · (Edited)
It has 220,000 miles on it.I've replaced the maf sensor,tps,both upper o2 sensors,replaced an relocated the knock sensor,new roller bearing in the disturbutor,new waterpump,timing belt,new plugs & wires.I don't think it has an egr,I'm no sure on that. Crank sensor is some where behind the engine,can't see or feel it. Nissan really stuff this engine in this truck,not easy to work on. The cats are almost in the engine bay also, don't even think about trying to do any work on it when it hot because every thing you touch is steming hot. Any how I get a check engine light that will stay on for a week or two then goes away then comes back.When the light is on it idles rough when in drive with foot on the brake,when the light is off it idles pretty,other wise than that it runs good. Hell I only paid 800.00 for it,but I guess I've put another 800.00 in it. Its my d/d.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.