Odd question, but maybe someone can help identify a part. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2008, 04:34 PM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Odd question, but maybe someone can help identify a part.

I'm hoping someone can help me identify the manufacturer and/or vehicle that a box of inner tie-rods I purchased at an auction belong too. I bought a box of 50 brand new inner tie rods for $.99 hoping that I could maybe put them on ebay and make a little profit. The only identifying marks are a manufacturers stamp and the (I assume) part number W312. The manufacturers stamp is a triangle with a "0" in the center of it, this stamp immediately preceeds the part number. The part is about 12" long total, like almost all tie rods, and the shaft is about a half inch thick. I know this sounds like a really strange question, but I have met a lot of very knowledgable people here and was hoping someone that does a lot of suspension work may be able to identify the manufacturer, which would make it a lot easier to figure out what vehicle the part is designed for. Thanks, Brian

I can attatch a picture if it would be helpful, just let me know.

R.I.P. Doc , you're greatly missed.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM

Last photo:

I measured the threaded portion on the end, its metric, 14 x 1.5.
Old 10-23-2008, 09:25 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Pics may help

Shane
Old 10-25-2008, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

here are a couple scans I made, I can get better ones if it would help
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tierod 1 crop.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	263.6 KB
ID:	33527   Click image for larger version

Name:	tierod 1crop 2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	33528  
Old 10-25-2008, 08:57 PM

Unless you know they were made by a reliable manufacturer, Moog, TRW, etc. I would take my 99 cent loss and move on. I wouldn't sleep real well if I sold a cheap tie rod end to someone and they or their family were killed when it broke and the car went off the road. There has to be a reason you could buy 50 of them for 99 cents.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:56 PM

Last photo:

The company that I purchased them from is an online insurance liquidation company. I've bought a lot of aftermarket car parts from them such as Brembo and Zimmerman slotted and dimpled brake rotors, EBC brake pads, and Bilstein shocks that were all new in the box. I'm not concerned that they are defective. I have a little more ethic than to make a few bucks by possibly putting someones life in danger by selling defective tie rods.

I believe these are either Mercedes or BMW parts from searching google but I am still not sure.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:08 AM

Last photo:

Call a napa store and give em the number they can probably cross it.
Old 10-26-2008, 03:00 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

This is exactly what i HATE about E-bay.....People like this guy that buys a bunch of junk, Chinese or forgien parts that even he does not know what they fit or from whom they came. Then turn around and sell them to some poor sucker. E-bay is already full of seconds, mis-manufactured , less then perfect, automotive parts, throw these things in the re-cycle barrel and get on with your life.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:17 PM

Last photo:

OMG, this is rediculous. If you would like to check out my 100% positive feedback on ebay my username is Blondegirl414. That being said, you don't know anything about the company I purchased them from. They sell huge lots of surplus / insurance liquidation items. Such as the 250 pairs of OEM Dodge Ram Tail lights I bought from them last month for $6.

I don't need a personal attack, I just wanted a question answered.

Turns out they are Mercedes OEM parts. They even have the same protective thread covers that are on them when you buy them at the parts counter.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:33 AM

I thought the Hotrodders Bulletin Board was to help others. Help them in building cars! Not To make a FAST BUCK !!!!! TF
Old 10-27-2008, 10:06 AM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:

Folks,

While this particular question might appear to be an ebay related buy/sell question, please note that DaSouthWon is NOT a johhny come lately to this site just looking for advice on their ebay parts. This member has well over 300 posts and my quick examination of them indicates they are all legitimate and helpful contributions to the site in a number of forums and topics.

Lots of us ask about miscellaneous parts we can not identify. I think this member deserves the benefit of the doubt regarding their intentions without any personal attacks. If it becomes a perpetual habit, that is a different story.

Thanks,
Dewey
Old 10-27-2008, 11:00 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguarxk120
I thought the Hotrodders Bulletin Board was to help others. Help them in building cars! Not To make a FAST BUCK !!!!! TF
For many, many hotrodders, buying and selling parts for a profit is a big part of the hobby. Without that extra cash, many people would not be able to build a car.

As long as a guy does not link to his sale, or try to sell on the forums, it is totally acceptable to ask help in identifying a part.

I have done it myself, in fact one of my first posts here was doing exactly that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yknot
This is exactly what i HATE about E-bay.....People like this guy that buys a bunch of junk, Chinese or forgien parts that even he does not know what they fit or from whom they came. Then turn around and sell them to some poor sucker. E-bay is already full of seconds, mis-manufactured , less then perfect, automotive parts, throw these things in the re-cycle barrel and get on with your life.

Assumptions and stereotypes of what gets sold on ebay is not an accurate way to identify or rate anyones part, just because there are some who are there to try to unload crap, does not make every ebay seller a scammer. The fact that Dasouthwon is trying to identify them before selling them is a statement in itself.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-28-2008, 01:30 AM

Last photo:

Thank you cboy and powerrodsmike,
Both of your statements are correct, and although I really don't take the statements of a poster personally, I will say this.

I love cars, working on them, driving them, modifying them and helping friends with theirs, including the many that I have made and met through this site. Face it, capitalisim is the American way. While their are many shady, fly-by-night people that could care less about what kind of garbage they sell, I am not one of them. Owning and maintaining vehicles is not a cheap hobby. I priced the tie-rods I purchased by calling Mercedes, $114.63 a piece. If I take the exact same tie-rods and put them on ebay for $30 a piece, I save the guy who's car is wandering all over the road roughly $85 if he only buys one. If I sell the 50 that I bought I make $1500. You know what I can buy with the $1500 I made? The aluminum AFR heads that I've wanted for my SBC for about 3 years. I would never sell someone a part that I wouldn't use myself. Additionally, my feedback on eBay is 100% positive. Unfortunatly, a few bad apples have spoiled a lot of the bunch on eBay, and I understand your statement about your frustrations with getting burned buying things on the internet. It's happened to me, and it made me mad. But I do feel your statement is an overgeneralizaton. There are still a lot of decent, ethical people in this world. Not everyone with something to sell is looking to rip you off. No one is holding a gun to anyones head making them purchase freakin tie rods from me. If you don't like it, buy it somewhere else.

If any of you guys ranting and raving about eBay ever need help with anything or have a question you don't want to ask in a public forum, don't hesitate to send me a PM. I'll do my best to help you, for free.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 AM
How’s that hopey-changey thing

Last wiki edit: Determining top dead center
Last journal entry: Quicky frame dolly
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by yknot
exactly right e-bay is total CRAP, fraud at it's best, I rather deal with a crook on the street then an e-bay salesman, at least you can get you hands around the guys throat if they screw you , the net is the perfect hiding place for these guys..

e-bay what a deal, demorats trustworthy, that sounds about right
Old 10-28-2008, 06:09 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

Gee Pepi, I know a bunch of people who say that guys who post on web forums like this are liars, posers, trolls and idiots....I get told all the time to stay away from the internet...

If it's on the internet, it's all bad, huh?.

Later, mikey

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.