Odd question, can you tap on a panel and tell if there is filler on it? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2011, 09:14 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
Todays primers ARE fillers...whats the difference between spraying it on or doing it with a squeegee????? well for one thing you can tell everyone at the show theres no BONDO and "technically" you wouldnt be lying
You and I are on the same page on this for sure.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2011, 10:28 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,081 Times in 964 Posts
Quote:
Todays primers ARE fillers...whats the difference between spraying it on or doing it with a squeegee????? well for one thing you can tell everyone at the show theres no BONDO and "technically" you wouldnt be lying

I'm with you guys there. And YES a metal man can build a "flawless" (relative term, I won't even go there) without the use of any filler what so ever, other than primer of course. But then again, a bunch of primer IS a filler. But honestly I am no "tin man" and even I have straightened some pretty screwed up panels with no filler and only a few coats of urethane primer.

Brian
Old 11-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

You braggarts and show offs. The best I've done on bent up panels is get by with some Dolphin Glaze and that was on the 68 Mustang I'm currently working on. The quarters will be a different story. Oh yeah, I did cheat and use two coats of SPI Epoxy primer before the glaze.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

All I'm trying to say is : Theres nothing wrong with using some bondo ,its on everybodys cars, the trick is to make it look like its NOT there so if you cant see it and need a magnet to find it .....who cares ....bondo got a bad rap by the lead heads decades ago that seems to linger still.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:42 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,081 Times in 964 Posts
Quote:
All I'm trying to say is : Theres nothing wrong with using some bondo ,its on everybodys cars, the trick is to make it look like its NOT there so if you cant see it and need a magnet to find it .....who cares ....bondo got a bad rap by the lead heads decades ago that seems to linger still.
I'm with you, a skim coat of filler is going to out last every one of us, we will be dead and gone, the car will be in a wrecking yard and the filler will still be there under the primer and paint no one the wiser.

Brian
Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 AM
'23 T-Bucket Pickup

Last wiki edit: Troubleshooting ignition Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
I'm with you, a skim coat of filler is going to out last every one of us, we will be dead and gone, the car will be in a wrecking yard and the filler will still be there under the primer and paint no one the wiser.

Brian
Nothing wrong with a little filler, as long as you're not using it to hide rust. Terrible things I found during my short stint in the body shop business in Michigan's UP .
Old 11-09-2011, 08:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

small bubbles at the bottom of a car is a dead give away its been stuffed..
Old 11-09-2011, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

I have been doing paint and body for 48 years. Bondo was a somewhat unreliable product in the beginning... but today's products are far and away better.

I think the biggest problem when I started out, was the way it was used. Either the surface wasn't prepped right... or the material was applied way to thick. Remember when they were selling the idea of using plastic mesh to bridge over rust outs.. and then skim over it with plastic filler? LOL! You just can't build new stable sheetmetal that way. Of course some jobs failed!

Today it is more forgiving, but still requires some basic rules to make it trouble free. In the hundreds of jobs I've done since the early seventies, I have not had a single failure... and yet it seems that I am still hearing the same criticisms I heard in the '60s.

I think the proof of it's reliability is the fact that at least half of the millions of cars we pass on the road have plastic filler. You can't see it, so you don't think about it... but it's there, doing the job it was designed for. I personally guarantee all of my work for as long as they own the car, knowing that the likelyhood it will fail is almost non-existant.

Metal finishing is nice... but most builders or car owners will not choose to pay the higher price for that... even if they were given the option.

It reminds me of a story that happened to me in the '80s. My shop could do lead. I had a customer who came in and said he had been reading magazines, and did not want any plastic in the car. I told him it was no problem, and then gave him the higher estimate for the lead work. I also told him I would guarantee the plastic filler to be trouble free as he owned it. He must have suddenly changed his "beliefs".... because he chose the plastic filler immediately! :-)

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.