Odd SBC valve cover problem. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2008, 05:51 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Odd SBC valve cover problem.

First of all, I KNOW, there's a right/wrong way to install SBC valve covers. On the stroker 305 (334) in my truck, all the rocker arms are contacting the inside of the valve covers, both banks. This is on the pushrod side of the rocker arm that's making contact. The valve covers are installed correctly with the notch cutouts for intake runner clearence facing the intake manifold. The cam is a mild RV type cam. Standard thickness valve cover gaskets. Stock ratio rockers. I've replace the valve covers with a more "boxy" pair for added clearence. These valve covers came on a Target Master 350, and there was never a problem on that motor. Anyone have any ideas why this happened? As I said, they were installed correctly according to the intake notches, but it looks like if the were flipped around there would be more clearence. They're in the trash now, but I'm still perplexed. Anyone? Thanks.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2008, 06:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

You could use the thicker gaskets that give it additional clearence.
Why this happened I don`t know, as SBC valve covers are all the same. I never seen any taller or shorter on either side.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:16 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Maybe your baffels got bent down somehow????
Shane
Old 12-17-2008, 06:32 PM

You need the thicker gaskets as mentioned above, or taller valve covers. There's a felpro gasket with two cork gaskets with a metal center.

Proform makes one that is 1/4 inch taller than stock.

Center bolt:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Perimeter bolt:
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

There's covers that are even taller, but may interfere with your acceshese are the shortest tall covers I'm aware of. There's no standard for "tall".
Old 12-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

NOt all cover gasket bosses were cast the same hieght.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:20 PM

valve cover problem

Like I said, I've already replaced the stock valve covers with some aftermarket, more "boxier" covers and no more problem. I'm just stymied.

DoubleVision, if you look at stock SBC valve covers from the "ends" you'll see that they are not simetrical, even the 300 HP 327 factory chrome valve covers I have are this way. Don't know why Chevrolet did this, and it can be rather subtle depending on the style of valve cover (early vs late,or solid vs vented). Of course aftermarket covers have more room all around.

I could have just flipped the old covers around, so the intake manifold notches were facing the exhaust manifolds, but the driver side cover had actually started to leak oil through a crack from the rubbing.

Thanks for all the responses/advice.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by junior stocker
Like I said, I've already replaced the stock valve covers with some aftermarket, more "boxier" covers and no more problem. I'm just stymied.

DoubleVision, if you look at stock SBC valve covers from the "ends" you'll see that they are not simetrical, even the 300 HP 327 factory chrome valve covers I have are this way. Don't know why Chevrolet did this, and it can be rather subtle depending on the style of valve cover (early vs late,or solid vs vented). Of course aftermarket covers have more room all around.

I could have just flipped the old covers around, so the intake manifold notches were facing the exhaust manifolds, but the driver side cover had actually started to leak oil through a crack from the rubbing.

Thanks for all the responses/advice.
Boxier and height are two different things. How tall are these boxier covers? that is the issue.
Old 12-18-2008, 10:36 PM

"boxier" covers

These NEW covers are just cheap, no-name,SHORT, chromed, valve covers. Instead of the "sides" (lenthwise) tilting inward somewhat, they are "straight" up from the mounting rails; "boxier". Stock SBC valve covers have a "tilt" to them that does'nt match side-to-side, and are supposed to mount only one way. You can "accidentally mount them wrong, and have rocker clearance problems, but mine were mounted correctly and still rubbed. I wonder why Chevrolet changed from the staggered mounting in 59', you could'nt install them wrong. Anyway, my problem is solved, but I'd still like to have an idea of why this happened. Maybe being from a Target Master and Hencho in Mexico had something to do with it.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.