Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Odds of finding a junkyard 400 sbc
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 01:38 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Odds of finding a junkyard 400 sbc

Hey guys, I'm currently doing my first serious project, a complete redo of a 1978 Chevy nova. I pulled its running 250 I-6 so that I could put a v8 in of some sort. I would like to put in a 400 sbc as opposed to a 350 since the extra cubes would be nice and that at least it wouldn't be the billionth 350 swap. however, upon spending hours at my local junkyard, I couldn't find 1 vehicle with a 400. Cars like monte carlos and caprices where completely non existent there leaving me to look through probably 20-30 c/k series trucks,blazers, and suburbans and vans. At the end of the day only probably 5 of the vehicles had engines even in them and all were 350's. It's a 150 dollars for an engine at the local yards and I doubt I'm going to be able to find one who sell me a 400 for around that. The cheaper the better since I'm 17 and this will be my first engine build. However, I just can't seem to get over how common the 350 swap will be, I figured the 400 would be a great torque cruiser but it seems like its extinct. Any good suggestions as to where I should look? do I have any shot whatsoever of finding a cheap 400 or should I just pull a plain jain 350? Any help appreciated.