Hot Rod Forum banner

odyssey battery

4K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Irelands child 
#1 ·
a guy I met at a car show advised me that an odyssey battery would be a good upgrade for my roadster, there are several types available on line and I'm not sure what size I would need for my 350 chevy eng.

#2 ·
I'm running and Odyssey PC680 in my '31 with a blown 406. Starts it right up even when hot. It doesn't have much reserve, but if your car is setup, tuned right and, you don't want the stereo on when parked it's a great small battery. I too was skeptical prior to buying but, it worked out for me. I'm very pleased with the performance for such a small battery. Also, I keep a tender on it when not being used regularly.

Keith

#3 ·
Why??
OK since you asked first, yeah, they are good but not so sure that it's really an upgrade if you already have a perfectly functional battery system.

Do you need the weight reduction? Do you need the space reduction? If so, then when you need a new battery go for it - but be advised that the CCA don't match a conventional or Optima battery -

Oh and yes, I do have an Odyssey battery in my '31 roadster:D

Optima vs Odyssey:

Where it's mounted with the radio on top:

Before the change
:

That wire hanging out of the trunk is for a Battery Tender just to make sure there is no parasitic loss over a period of time when not driving the car

#10 ·
Mine is very small (comparison photo above), starts the car easily as long as the Edelbrock carb is reasonably full of gas and carries whatever load when needed (alternator not turning) plus freed up a bunch of trunk room.

Would I prefer a nice big conventional battery? You bet, but since I neglected a installing frame mounted drop out battery box when building the car - am 'living with' the Odyssey trunk mounted version.

Dave W

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.