OEM Roller lifters?? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Getting distracted at work...

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OEM Roller lifters??

Ok...Its no secret that a roller cam/lifter setup is better than a flat tappet. But heres the problem. Roller lifter are unbelievably expensive!!. So heres the question. If I'm try to retrofit my Chevy SB wit ha roller setup, can I use the GM OEM roller lifters from the LT-1's on a aftermarket roller cam(ex. Lunati, COMP, Crane)? They're a lot cheaper than the aftermarket ones. And before anyone asks, it would be going in a mild street/strip engine. So whats the good word?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Factory engines that came with Roller cams have a much taller lifter bore than there flat tappet brothers have.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:41 AM
Getting distracted at work...

Last photo:

AHHHH....I see. So pretty much; the block would have to be machined or some crazy stuff like that to use them huh?
Old 10-27-2007, 12:56 AM
power hungry

Last photo:

The easiest thing to do would be to find a block that takes the one piece rear main, even the pre vortec ones with one piece rear mains have the lifter bores machined for roller lifters and they also have the three bosses in the middle of the lifter valley that you will need to bolt the hold down bracket to.
The bosses in the pre vortec blocks are usually not drilled and tapped so you would have to do that, but they are there at least and the top of the lifter bores are machined flat for the dogbones already.
Old 10-27-2007, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_clutch
The easiest thing to do would be to find a block that takes the one piece rear main, even the pre vortec ones with one piece rear mains have the lifter bores machined for roller lifters and they also have the three bosses in the middle of the lifter valley that you will need to bolt the hold down bracket to.
The bosses in the pre vortec blocks are usually not drilled and tapped so you would have to do that, but they are there at least and the top of the lifter bores are machined flat for the dogbones already.

a stock 1 PRM roller block with a roller cam and GM stock roller lifters & dogbones look like this.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roller lifter and tray.jpg
Views:	2140
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	25111  
Old 10-27-2007, 07:11 PM
Mechanical Animal

Last journal entry: Finally complete and running.
Last photo:

OEM Roller lifters??

Anyone know a good source for the spider and dogbones?
Old 10-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I score them out of other engines, 4.3`s and sometimes you find the sets on ebay and other online sources.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:23 PM
Hot rodder, not street rodder!

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDawg134
Let me check tomorrow and see how many spares of these parts I have on hand. Depending, I may be willing to part with some. Please don't be afraid to PM me and remind me if I don't get back to you in a couple of days. It's that CRS thing, you know....
I'll tell you, the factory LT1 lifters are virtually bullet proof. I ran my original set to 116K miles through upgrades including a higher lift cam (.525"), much stiffer springs, 1.6 roller rockers, etc. Finally, when I had the engine apart again at that point I put in a very low mileage set I'd obtained, just because I had them on hand. Still, there was absolutely nothing wrong with the originals when I replaced them. And I didn't discard them.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:53 PM
eat a beaver, save a tree

Last photo:

to do this you use chevy 2.2l roller lifters. they are shorter than the v/8 lifters.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:03 AM
power hungry

Last photo:

Also another benefit of the one piece rear main blocks is they switched to priority main oiling system. The oil galleys are moved from down along the pan rail up to next to the cam tunnel, this allows a bigger stroke of 3.875, that with a .060 over bore would make a 401 ci. out of a 350 block. Just something else to think about.
Old 10-28-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa_clutch
Also another benefit of the one piece rear main blocks is they switched to priority main oiling system. The oil galleys are moved from down along the pan rail up to next to the cam tunnel, this allows a bigger stroke of 3.875, that with a .060 over bore would make a 401 ci. out of a 350 block. Just something else to think about.
???????
Every 1st generation SBC I've every seen had the oil galley's on either side and above the cam. Never seen a Chevy that oiled from the pan rail.
The oiling system in the one piece seal motor is the same as it's always been.

Last edited by tdkkart; 10-28-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangsaly
a stock 1 PRM roller block with a roller cam and GM stock roller lifters & dogbones look like this.

That looks like a 1st generation non roller block that's been modified for use with factory roller lifters. Are those the 2.2/3.1/3.4 liter lifters or did you use the 4.3/5.0/5.7 liter lifters? Did you have to just clearance around the lifter bosses for dogbone clearance or did the bosses need to be trimmed down at all? Did pushrod length change? Bob
Old 10-29-2007, 06:55 AM

The picture is indeed a 1st gen block modified. The picture comes directly from the instructions sold by the guy on Ebay.
Pushrods are 7.500" long(+.200" 350 pushrods??), lifters are from 3.1/2.2 motors and are longer than 350/305.
It's a cheap/easy conversion that only involves a bit of effort.
Some have expressed heartache with drilling into the oil galley, no big deal if done correctly/carefully.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeputyDawg134

summit sells the complete kit, This kit includes roller lifters, lifter guides, lifter guide retainer, retainer bolts, and retainer washers. everything but the cam retaining ring. (you can buy the cam retainer ring, seperate I think.)

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...2&autoview=sku

[imghttp://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/nal-12371042_w.jpg][/img]

summit sell the kit with out the lifters also. This kit includes, cam retainer ring, lifter guides, lifter guide retainer, retainer bolts, and retainer washers.

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM

Last photo:

do none of you read car craft? lot of articles about this subject. go to junk yard get a bunch of lifters. trucks mostly as well as v8 pre lt and ls series engines. get dog bones and spider from them too. clean and check. should be no drag when lightly oiled. you are out like 30 bucks.as far as cams. go no larger than a .530 lift with 1.5 rockers because base circle is too small and will cause oiling problems. make more lift with rockers. older blocks will need to drill and tap for spider but they have stands cast in already. cheap (except for the cam, get a retrofit piece and a button and cover) and incredibly reliable.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.