OEM or Stainless Steel Fuel Lines? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

OEM or Stainless Steel Fuel Lines?

I'm going to be wrenching on the car this weekend.... 64 Impala SS....

I'm planning on working on the fuel lines. A few questions though:

First off, I'm going to run new lines. Should I run OEM or go with Stainless Steel? I found the OEMs for $65 through Classic Industries and the Stainless Steel for $90.

Secondly, how the hell do I remove the lines?!?! Now, the car has been sitting for 25 years so the stuff is pretty damn dirty to say the least however I got the first line loosen, the line leading to the fuel pump however it is snaked through the control arm

Do I have to remove the control arm?

The next line goes through the frame. Is that supposed to just 'slide' out from the frame and is just crapped up?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 PM

Last photo:

i like 3/8 stainless fuel lines dont have to worry about them rusting out.

i wouldent remove the control arm i would just get it off any way i could than route the new one around it not trew the control arm.

i would think the other one sould just slide out of the frame use some brake cleaner to clean it up than spray some wd40 in there and try and slide it out
Old 03-11-2008, 05:32 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cope
i like 3/8 stainless fuel lines dont have to worry about them rusting out.

i wouldent remove the control arm i would just get it off any way i could than route the new one around it not trew the control arm.

i would think the other one sould just slide out of the frame use some brake cleaner to clean it up than spray some wd40 in there and try and slide it out

Ok, yea, I figure some can of brake cleaner and some elbow grease would be all I need on the middle line however it does seem to have some seals that go around the line.... that are pretty much shot so I will need something in there....

And I will check into re-routing the fuel line in the front. I honestly would rather do it original.... if thats the way it was out of the box, I'd rather keep it that way.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

I replaced the old corroded ones on my Olds with stainless steel ones a while back. After seeing how much corrosion was in those old fuel lines I think stainless is the only way to go. It can be a bear to get the old lines out so be ready to get dirty! Also it will help if you have access to a local car shops lift to raise the car up enough to work the new lines in from underneath. Of course, that would be a real luxury to most of us 1 car garage mechanics! Good Luck!
Old 03-13-2008, 05:04 PM

Last photo:

Yea, at this point, I'm ***** outta luck for a garage. I'll be wrenchin' on them myself. The first one was a pain and that was just through the control arm!!!! That was the easy one!!!!

We are going to take a stab at it this weekend.

I was a little concerned. I did some research on it and through an old diagram, it looks like there is a clip on the inside of the frame for the line. If so, will the line still slide out or am I going to have to try to unclip it?
Old 03-13-2008, 07:52 PM

Last photo:

The lift I referred to was just to give more heigth to lift the car up to work the lines out or back into the car. I replaced the lines myself on my Olds! I can't even imagine how much a shop would charge to replace the fuel lines! Besides, then you would miss out on being able to say "I did it myself". As far as the frame clip goes, is there not an access hole near the clip that you can get at it with a screwdriver and pry and work the clip up while working the line out?
Old 03-14-2008, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

You know man, I was kicking that around in my head. I will have to check. I think think think there is however, the car sat for 25 years, and part of it was outside. There is dirt caked on to holy hell and back. I can't sneeze without getting a faceful of dirt.

I am really going to have to get under there and pressure wash the hell out of the car.

I will get under and survey it. My only concern is the shape of the clip

Hopefully it will work with me.

And yea, I could imagine a shop charging in the upwards of $300 - $350 for fuel lines.... They don't seem too difficult, I just have to factor in the dirt labor

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.