Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - official 37 and 38 Chevy (All GM) car or truck thread
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 AM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

THE SuSpEnSiOn ,, I guess the biggest complaint on cars is the poor ride quality and handling. Iv'e read where guys ask about using S10 frames and are told the car will ride like a truck,, I bought suspension packages with sway bars thinking the car would ride and handle good.. It rides like a truck,, worse that the car did when it was stock with no shocks. This can't be any worse than an s10.
My IFS is TCI. I changed the front springs 3 times, I 'm using 300 lb now, 2 lighter than they recommended. One of he new shocks was shot.. I used QA shocks. I found TCI customer support to be ****. I was missing one (locking/ castle/ cotter pin holding) -washer for the axle hub. I phoned them and they said they's send, I phoned again and talked to the President, then I phoned and talked to some smart mouthed rude *****, in each time they said they send me and never did. i had a hell of a time finding a new one,,, I see they are more available now.
My rear is leaf spings from Chassis Engineering. The sway bar had fit issues. It is made for a Ford car and a Ford axle. I have a Chevy and a Chevy 10 bolt. The springs do bend to a negative arch. For some reason this just seems wrong. Why have spring that are partial bending up?? The rear suspension just pounds when hitting cracks on the hi-way. I have taken the sway bar off, I took one leaf out, I tried no shocks, I tried running my tires on low air pressure. The car just rides like CRAP.
Note on POWER STEERING, I used a power rack originally, I can tell at cruise nights who has PS by the puddles I see under the car. My rack was good for the first year. Then one winter day I was in the garage and noticed the rack had started to leak after sitting for 4 months. I installed a new rack and it blew immediately. I installed a manual rack, It's too hard to steer with my steering wheel, I have a Grant gold wood banjo steering wheel. The force needed with a manual rack quickly started making my expensive wheel fall apart. I'm using a bigger truck steering wheel. It's easier to steer but still tough, so I'm going back to a power rack.
I used the HEIDTS PS control valve to cut some of the pressure. My PS was still too touchy and i had the valve completey open. I will try something else for pressure, maybe a ford pup. I was using a newer ford rack which should be able to take the chevy pump without any changes to pressure.. I did not find this to be so.
RE: My SEAT FRAME, I have a pic in my project pics

Last edited by TheCiscoKid; 01-11-2012 at 05:06 AM.