Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - official 37 and 38 Chevy (All GM) car or truck thread
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCiscoKid
I have manual rack on now, going back to a PS. I would rather use a manual rack if I could find a nice big steering wheel. Fricken PS racks leak, the whole ford rack /chevy pump thing sucks. I don't know if the ford pump is so ugly, wouldn't see it on my car. Don't know how tough it is to mount one, wish someone made a kit. Steering isn't bad with a truck steering wheel, the wheel is in my pics,,, gotta love my banjo wheel tho.
I had drop spindles ( car pics with full moons ) but couldn't get the back down enough without using a block and small tires. I just don't like small rear tires. I have regular spindles now, front tires 215/60x15, rear 235/70x15. I weighed the car 3380lbs, think it was 1600 front, 1780 rear.
My rack is a new style T-bird. I was talking to Horton Hotrods and they say the number one complaint anyone has is ride quality. I started a thread on this once, but it died. Before I put the valve in my PS the car was just plain scarey to drive. Even so the car isn't something I want to drive 100mph in, I've hit 90 and backed off. I think at 78mph my car can be seized by the cops.
I'm running a SBC 355, camel hump heads, shorty headers, eddy carb and intake, Voodoo 262 cam, turbo 350.
ANOTHER PROBLEM is my brakes. Dual diaphram 7'' booster, disc/drum, cowl mounted. I lengthen an S10 pedal. Under normal driving the car slows down fine, but actually stopping isn't easy. Normal driving car stops fine. If I have to stop fast, I'd be screwed, car just won't stop fast, brakes won't lock up no matter how hard I stomp on them. I'm thinking of using a bigger booster, maybe an s10 as mine is stainless with a chrome master cylinder. I'd rather be stopped than shiney !!
what size dia. are the brake rotors and drums?
also what size dia. is the bore on your master cyl.?
tell me more about the brake system