Hot Rod Forum banner

official 37 and 38 Chevy (All GM) car or truck thread

150K views 892 replies 46 participants last post by  nunattax 
#1 ·
thought I would create a spot for all the 37 & 38 (+or-) chevy (and other GM products) cars/trucks owners (and former/future owners)
to get together and share info, ask questions, post pics, etc.

I know off and on there are is lot of these cars and info on here

I have done some searches here and dont remember seeing anything like this, for these cars
(if there is and I missed it, maybe one of the mods. can drag it out and merge the threads)

Here's a link to my journal and a couple pics of my car to get things started :thumbup:

hope to hear from some others, Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#104 ·
Ok pictures I think I have a few.

Next time I log on I will put my photo album together. I found that I did not know very much about 1937 technologies so I bought a 1938 shop manual, so I would have something to read. I came by my 37 Chevy in a trade, you see the car had been setting in the Desert for some time; about 34 year parked in 1974, and was sold last September in a yard sale. My first time buying a car that has been sold at a yard sale, It has 68,789 miles on the odometer but I'm not sure if it is correct or has more miles on it. The car runs and drives and when the Budweiser ran out the keg became the gas tank. (Yes I will post pictures if you’re interested). I'm still not sure if I should make a hotrod out of the 1937 or just restore it. It has the original 216.5 straight 6 cylinder in it and 3 speed manual on the floor. Yes a whapping 80 HSP I can get out of this stock set up, (You laugh but I can get a burn out with one tire).

Well that is enuff for now.

#105 ·
Just finished up with the SLC Autorama tonight. Really was an eye opener too. Big awards all went to the big dollar guys of course. Kindigs builds are incredible for sure and earned what he got. I did end up with best in class for my garage built 2000 hour project, but no way to compete with the guys with 7 figure budgets. One of the judges even told me that the out of the box and on to the floor cars built by these big dollar guys dont impress him. But IMHO they must give the bulk of the awards to these guys because money talks. Think I will just stick to cruising my car around town for fun and stop into the small cruiseins to mingle with the Real people out there!

#106 ·
briansm said:
Next time I log on I will put my photo album together. I found that I did not know very much about 1937 technologies so I bought a 1938 shop manual, so I would have something to read. I came by my 37 Chevy in a trade, you see the car had been setting in the Desert for some time; about 34 year parked in 1974, and was sold last September in a yard sale. My first time buying a car that has been sold at a yard sale, It has 68,789 miles on the odometer but I'm not sure if it is correct or has more miles on it. The car runs and drives and when the Budweiser ran out the keg became the gas tank. (Yes I will post pictures if you’re interested). I'm still not sure if I should make a hotrod out of the 1937 or just restore it. It has the original 216.5 straight 6 cylinder in it and 3 speed manual on the floor. Yes a whapping 80 HSP I can get out of this stock set up, (You laugh but I can get a burn out with one tire).

Well that is enuff for now.
if it runs and drives on the stock stuff
I would try and keep it that way some if you can

my drive train was mostly no good so Im building a hotrod

#107 ·
spacytracy said:
Just finished up with the SLC Autorama tonight. Really was an eye opener too. Big awards all went to the big dollar guys of course. Kindigs builds are incredible for sure and earned what he got. I did end up with best in class for my garage built 2000 hour project, but no way to compete with the guys with 7 figure budgets. One of the judges even told me that the out of the box and on to the floor cars built by these big dollar guys dont impress him. But IMHO they must give the bulk of the awards to these guys because money talks. Think I will just stick to cruising my car around town for fun and stop into the small cruiseins to mingle with the Real people out there!
sounds like you did good to me :thumbup:

the biggest/best difference between those big $$$ cars and yours

you can drive yours :thumbup:
drive it, drive it, drive it :pimp:

#108 ·
yes I agree.

We spend a lot of time on our porjects and work with a very small amount of funs. And trying to compeat with 7 figgers projects it's just impossible that is why I'm not going to spend a lot of money or time on my car, just restore it and make a nice dirver out of it. Congraulation on your award, your car turnout very nice from the picturers.

#109 ·
matts37chev said:
I ordered my new front susp. and brake master/pedal assembly :thumbup:

I went with Heidts Superide II
the brake stuff is TCI
pretty excited :mwink:

I started a thread looking for some pointers
but I havent got a ton of info, that I wasn't going to do already, but Im hoping for more hints (something I might have missed)

I will post some pics of the goods, when I get them home :pimp:
I got most of the parts home today, looks purdy :cool:
wont be able to start on it for a while, to many other projects/loose ends to tie up/finish off :(

#110 ·
Well fellas, here she is. Finally got the body off the frame and delivered the frame to be blasted today. He said it might be done Friday, so I could start the mock up process by this weekend.

The body guy came by and I found out my front fenders are going to have to be replaced. Anybody have an extra set they can't wait to part with?

Brandon

#112 ·
Thanks. We're going to stick with steel fenders. I can't believe no one produces the steel. I just found that out. I just found 2 steel fenders about 2 hours from here. They're not great, but I think they're workable.

I'm a bit confused on one part of the build. I got a mustang II front end kit. Will I need an aftermarket radiator core support?

Thanks,
Brandon

#113 ·
Vetteman61 said:
Thanks. We're going to stick with steel fenders. I can't believe no one produces the steel. I just found that out. I just found 2 steel fenders about 2 hours from here. They're not great, but I think they're workable.

I'm a bit confused on one part of the build. I got a mustang II front end kit. Will I need an aftermarket radiator core support?

Thanks,
Brandon
no...if you can install it with out cutting the old one out

see page 3 of the instructions for my superide II
if you can do it that way also, you should be good

I just looked at the chassis eng page and they say you can grind yours to keep it or buy there replacement

#114 ·
Ahh, I see my confusion. I've seen pictures of the crossmember with the portion removed. My engine and radiator support were all one piece. I just went and looked at it where I put it away to store it. With the link you posted I see that it shows removing part of it. From the pictures I've seen in the past I thought there was supposed to be a separate crossmemeber that somehow was different on my car.

I see now,

thanks for the link.

Brandon

#115 ·
Well, I just ordered a Walker radiator. Expensive, but hopefully I won't have to order another one of those until my children (unborn) are out of college.

Now I'm about to have to try to figure out how and what to order for the fuel system. I've never worked with fuel injection so I am completely lost. I'm going to post a thread in the general tech section. I know I'll need a gas tank and I don't want to go with plastic.

I'll post all the details over on the other thread.

Brandon

#118 ·
What is cross over steering?

I'm using all Chassis Engineering parts for the chassis build on my '37 4 door. They have two types of motor mounts. One for regular steering and one for cross over steering. I'm not sure what cross over steering is, if I'll have to use it or why I would.

I have a regular rack and pinion that I'm going to use and the Chassis Engineering hub to hub kit. How can I tell which motor mount to purchase?

Thanks,
Brandon

#126 ·
37 Chevy

Hi Brandon, Lookint at your 37 you have my twin. I also have a 37 4 door. I put a Mustang II front end, new leaf spring rear with a Granada rear end and 3:55 gears a 350 crate engine and 700R4 trans. All my underpinnings were from Chassis Engineering. I am to get it back from the paint shop this week and then the fun starts. I noticed you were asking about a bolt in wiper motor. I assumn you are going to 12 volts. I got the diredt bolt in from Newport Engineering www.newportwipers. This is a direct replacement for the original wiper motor and will use your original assembly. Bolt in the motor hook up the wires and good to go. Good luck, Jack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.