official 37 and 38 Chevy (All GM) car or truck thread - Page 15 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 12:22 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How did the spray can chrome come out?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2012, 01:46 PM
A few muscle cars & a Corvair

Last journal entry: continued
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakie View Post
How did the spray can chrome come out?
It's a good 20 footer. Might pass at 10 without the polished stainless bumpers to compare to...
Old 12-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: Try again
Last photo:

37 mustang II front susp. issues

I have not been around here much, but I have seen a thread trying to help a fellow 37 owners' front end woes
so I thought I would add a link to that thread here
because to me, it looks like there could be other cars with the front end mounted in a similar fashion.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:43 PM

I have a 1938 chevy half ton, and was toying with the idea of swapping out my current differential, but wouldn't know how to even begin this. Does anyone know what this would require/ where I could get parts that wouldn't involve serious chopping? I'm in the middle of restoring it, and might not go through with this, just wanted to know how easy it would be.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:59 AM

Last photo:

I'm not familiar with the frame and axle widths on a truck. I know the cars are similar enough to an early Camaro/Nova that they pretty much bolt right in. The cars have an enclosed driveshaft arrangement that requires the trans be updated along with the driveshaft to an open style.
Again, not sure on a truck. Let us know what yours is like..
Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 PM

I'm gonna be too busy to do much this week, since i have finals through friday. any basics of what i should be taking photos of in particular/measuring? The bed's down at the body shop right now, so I can take anything from the above view. Thanks again
Old 12-18-2012, 07:59 PM

Last photo:

To start, get a pic of the driveshaft at the rear diff. That will show if it is enclosed. Measure the overall width of the rear axle, drum to drum if the wheels are off or backing plate to backing plate if the wheels are on. Then measure between the center of the spring mounts. There should be a centering bolt protruding thru the bottom of the lower spring bracket as a center reference. That will be the spring width to match up for a direct bolt in axle. The overall width should be close too but isn't as critical.
Old 12-24-2012, 04:38 PM

Just did the measuring, and as you can see, it appears to be an enclosed driveshaft (if I'm understanding this right). It measures something around 54 inches from backing plate to backing plate, give or take an inch. From leaf spring to leaf spring, it comes in at exactly 42 1/2. And if it matters, the axle is 2 1/2 inches wide, and I just found out it's probably a 3/4 ton.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5591[1].JPG
Views:	80
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	70027   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5597[1].JPG
Views:	81
Size:	1.54 MB
ID:	70028   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5592[1].JPG
Views:	76
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	70029  
Old 12-26-2012, 05:28 PM

Last photo:

Yup, enclosed drivetrain. You'll need to change out everything to put a modern transmission in it. I just bought a rear axle from a '76 Nova for my coupe and the 42 1/2 spring centers is the same as my car. Looks like you could do the same...early Camaros' '68-81 and '68-79 Nova's used the same spring centers with slight variation in overall widths. '72 and up are the better 8.5 axle which is nearly as strong as a 12 bolt.
Old 03-19-2013, 03:58 PM

Last photo:

The calendar says it's getting closer to spring, although the weather is more like mid February around here...

The '38 has been sleeping for a few months now while I work on my GTO. I did reupholster the seats that were in it when I got it before I put it away. I still need to finish the cheesy carpet I bought and put the seat belts in. The parts are piling up in the shop for when I get back to it. I had a high performance 200r4 built for it and ordered a Dakota Digital position sender for the Ron Francis LED gear indicator I also acquired. Got a Bowtie Overdrive TV cable kit on the way and ordered Allen Grove brackets for the alt, a/c and ps pump. It has a manual rack now but I bought a ps rack and will convert it over. I will add heat/ac at some point too, so I have the compressor mount coming as well. I bought a 8.5 axle out of a 74 Nova with 3.08 gears and posi but when I pulled the rear cover, it was mucked up. The retaining bolt for the center pin was broken and someone had already chiseled at the pin to try to remove the stub. There was no way to get the stub to fall out after that hack job, so I carefully cut away the center pin with my plasma to expose the stub and remove it. The casting date on the carrier is 2 years before the axle was built so it was already a replacement effort and who knows if it is set up correctly. Now I'm at the point that I'm going to gut it, blast and paint the housing and install all new bearings and seals. Then I know it's done right and won't worry about it failing. Should be fun with the 4 speed auto and 3.08 gears. It has a peg leg axle out of a '78 Malibu now with like 2.56 ratio...
Old 03-19-2013, 07:11 PM

Last journal entry: New neon sign for the garage
Last photo:

Just got my power steering rack hooked up today and everything aligned. Drives soooo much better now. I cant believe I drove for almost 2 years with manual steering before doing this. Pain in the **** hooking everything up though. Its so tight up front. Not much room to work up there.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacytracy View Post
Just got my power steering rack hooked up today and everything aligned. Drives soooo much better now. I cant believe I drove for almost 2 years with manual steering before doing this. Pain in the **** hooking everything up though. Its so tight up front. Not much room to work up there.
I was looking at mine this past weekend and it should be a fun job to change out.

I should be finding my Vintage air on the porch this week.
I modified the rear bumper brackets to bring the bumper in 1 1/2" closer. Because of the step in the bracket, I couldn't shorten them anymore. I moved the front bumper back 3" last fall. I then sent all the brackets out for powder coat. No pics from the rear mods but I'll take a few when they come back all purdy...

I wish Spring would get here. We are 10 degrees or more below average this week and possible snow over the next 2 days....
Old 04-09-2013, 10:48 AM

Last photo:

I like the what you did with the bumpers. Can't wait to see the pics of the rear bumper.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:28 AM

New guy needs 37 Master Deluxe Grill. Parki
Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhparki View Post
New guy needs 37 Master Deluxe Grill. Parki
Any luck on that grille? Seems no one is making the original style any more just the crappy ganster ones.

How about a chrome hood center strip, anybody got one, I've been looking for one for a couple of years now.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.