official 37 and 38 Chevy (All GM) car or truck thread - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 08:23 AM

Last journal entry: Took her out for a drive Oh Ya! Gotta Love an LS powered early Vette
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Here is where I am with my 37 I am going to install this next

and this is what I started with

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2012, 08:56 AM

Last journal entry: Took her out for a drive Oh Ya! Gotta Love an LS powered early Vette
Last photo:

here is a few of working on it I installed a floor from a sedan its the same as a convertable or rumble seat car with a added part on the back for the trunk I had to remove

Old 01-08-2012, 09:03 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

very cool
Old 01-08-2012, 03:05 PM

I did check the floor drop for the seats and you were right the floor only drops about 1/2". I will be able to make some type of spacer. Thansk for the come back
Old 01-08-2012, 06:55 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by razskub
I did check the floor drop for the seats and you were right the floor only drops about 1/2". I will be able to make some type of spacer. Thansk for the come back
I would probably make some spacers out of a chunk of aluminum
put one under each foot/mount
Old 01-09-2012, 02:15 PM

Last photo:

Cool, glad I stumbled on this thread!

I am currently building a 37 2 door sedan street rod, does any one have a suggestion on what type of seats I should use?
Thanks
Old 01-09-2012, 04:22 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakie
I am currently building a 37 2 door sedan street rod, does any one have a suggestion on what type of seats I should use?
Thanks
I like my cars simple. So, I'd stick to something close to stock.

Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks
do you want buckets or a bench?
there is not much room!
Old 01-09-2012, 05:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
do you want buckets or a bench?
there is not much room!
Thanks for the replys!

I was thinking buckets because I am going with a floor shifter.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:04 PM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Thanks for the replys!

I was thinking buckets because I am going with a floor shifter.
buckets are easy, bench is harder because of the narrow width
just about any buckets out of a 2 door car (so they will tilt, for back seat access)
I would recommend just hit the wrecking yard and get the ones that fit your butt the best

or were you looking for something new/store bought?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:40 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matts37chev
buckets are easy, bench is harder because of the narrow width
just about any buckets out of a 2 door car (so they will tilt, for back seat access)
I would recommend just hit the wrecking yard and get the ones that fit your butt the best

or were you looking for something new/store bought?
Looking for used Not new, I have been hitting my local scrapper but haven't had much luck. Seems like everything is a four door these days! If I knew of a specific model to look for it might be easier to call around more places.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

go look at used car lots and figure out what ya like take a tape measure with ya then you will have an idea I was liking the seats from a 05 HHR SS very cool buckets, looked like they would work nice
Old 01-10-2012, 08:52 AM
I don't understand?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkaYJ
go look at used car lots and figure out what ya like take a tape measure with ya then you will have an idea I was liking the seats from a 05 HHR SS very cool buckets, looked like they would work nice
^^^^^^^^^^^ this is good if you cant think of any

off the top of my head, there are always tons of "scion tc" parts cars, on craigslist

you might also hit a car lot and check out some jeep seats
because on the pass side they "tumble or roll, forward" not just "tilt and slide" making rear seat access a lot better
however, they sit kind of high, you need to look at the mounts to see if they will work

if you use the search on here, there have been some threads on wiring newer car, computer controlled seats for reg use

here is a random selection of new inexpensive seats
http://www.summitracing.com/search/D...?Ns=Rank%7cAsc

but you have to take in to account, the back seat sccess, as I do not

Last edited by matts37chev; 01-10-2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:42 AM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

I have a 38 Chevy 2dr sedan.
THE FRONT SEAT FRAME, I made a rectangle of square steel, used 3/4'', shoulda used 1'', the width is what was needed to bolt bucket seats to, the length was long enough to bolt the seats to and have thm wide enough,, HINT ,, I had to make 2 frames, because when i put the doors back on, I found i had lots more room to have the seats wider apart.
From the bottom on this rectangle I made angle Iron bracket (maybe an
1.5'' wide) to bolt to stock seat mount holes in the floor on each side of the the car,, (just inside the door).I just remembered I made the frame lng enouggh so these brackets welded to the length. That was how long the rectangle was,, to the seat mount holes.This way the seats had a level platform to bolt to and were higher than the center hump in the floor. I found the seats felt best quiet high up. I think mine are 13'' off the floor. I used 84 Monte carlo leather seats, the car had 4 bucket seats, So no trouble fitting the rears in.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 AM

Last journal entry: dash mods
Last photo:

THE SuSpEnSiOn ,, I guess the biggest complaint on cars is the poor ride quality and handling. Iv'e read where guys ask about using S10 frames and are told the car will ride like a truck,, I bought suspension packages with sway bars thinking the car would ride and handle good.. It rides like a truck,, worse that the car did when it was stock with no shocks. This can't be any worse than an s10.
My IFS is TCI. I changed the front springs 3 times, I 'm using 300 lb now, 2 lighter than they recommended. One of he new shocks was shot.. I used QA shocks. I found TCI customer support to be ****. I was missing one (locking/ castle/ cotter pin holding) -washer for the axle hub. I phoned them and they said they's send, I phoned again and talked to the President, then I phoned and talked to some smart mouthed rude *****, in each time they said they send me and never did. i had a hell of a time finding a new one,,, I see they are more available now.
My rear is leaf spings from Chassis Engineering. The sway bar had fit issues. It is made for a Ford car and a Ford axle. I have a Chevy and a Chevy 10 bolt. The springs do bend to a negative arch. For some reason this just seems wrong. Why have spring that are partial bending up?? The rear suspension just pounds when hitting cracks on the hi-way. I have taken the sway bar off, I took one leaf out, I tried no shocks, I tried running my tires on low air pressure. The car just rides like CRAP.
Note on POWER STEERING, I used a power rack originally, I can tell at cruise nights who has PS by the puddles I see under the car. My rack was good for the first year. Then one winter day I was in the garage and noticed the rack had started to leak after sitting for 4 months. I installed a new rack and it blew immediately. I installed a manual rack, It's too hard to steer with my steering wheel, I have a Grant gold wood banjo steering wheel. The force needed with a manual rack quickly started making my expensive wheel fall apart. I'm using a bigger truck steering wheel. It's easier to steer but still tough, so I'm going back to a power rack.
I used the HEIDTS PS control valve to cut some of the pressure. My PS was still too touchy and i had the valve completey open. I will try something else for pressure, maybe a ford pup. I was using a newer ford rack which should be able to take the chevy pump without any changes to pressure.. I did not find this to be so.
RE: My SEAT FRAME, I have a pic in my project pics

Last edited by TheCiscoKid; 01-11-2012 at 04:06 AM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.