Hot Rod Forum banner

official 37 and 38 Chevy (All GM) car or truck thread

150K views 892 replies 46 participants last post by  nunattax 
#1 ·
thought I would create a spot for all the 37 & 38 (+or-) chevy (and other GM products) cars/trucks owners (and former/future owners)
to get together and share info, ask questions, post pics, etc.

I know off and on there are is lot of these cars and info on here

I have done some searches here and dont remember seeing anything like this, for these cars
(if there is and I missed it, maybe one of the mods. can drag it out and merge the threads)

Here's a link to my journal and a couple pics of my car to get things started :thumbup:

hope to hear from some others, Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#155 ·
I thought the dash didn't look low enough on my car, so I added a panel under mine. I did it twice and still wish I had made it wider still. I have pics in my journal. i know what you mean about the AC vents. I was going to have mine behind the dash and blow down and out the windshield vents, but maybe that wouldn't cool enough.

#156 ·
matts37chev said:
hey guys, I just got my seats and I threw them in the car
I was sitting in it playing with position and steering wheel angles etc.
(making engine noises the whole time, Vroom Vroom)

I was curious what size drop (how far down) do you have on your steering column mounts 2", 4", 6" ?

and how well do you like the way it turned out?

with the set back firewall and the seats a lot farther back than stock
it sure seems funny with the dash and windshield so far away
TheCiscoKid said:
I never used a drop and made a base for the column from a exhaust pipe reducer, shortened and xut it in half and epoxyed in,, looks clean almost stock. I made a 1/4'' plate to the column and dash, still flexed, had to triangulate it with the firewall mounted PS booster. that worked well cause the firewall isn't braced enough.
very nice ciscokid, I like the way that whole dash turned out :thumbup:
when I get to that point, I was thinking I would try using a left over 454 connecting rod (for now) for the column drop
I plan on having a pretty sparse interior at first
then later down the road when I redo it all I am sure I will have changed my mind a number of times on how I want it :drunk:

#158 ·
My seats are 13" high from the floor. For me, 5'10", I can see most of the front end and my eyes are about centered looking out the windshield. The column is mounted pretty much like stock.
I picked up a radio head for $10 on Ebay , was listed as Ford even tho there is a bow tie on it,, you win some. The dial was good, but the shafts were rusted, I fixed the dial shaft, the volume is just a dummy shaft I rigged in it. That is what is where the radio was, it is a radio. Tach, speedo, gas are in the top panel, 3 other gauges and a clock are in the bottom panel. I put an AC vent where the ash tray plate was.
I never touched the car last year and this year I'm living in China,,,, love Chinese women.

#160 ·
I think Dolphin gauges has small tach, I used Dolphin gauges.
If it wasn't that I miss my dog and cats and my house is paid for.. I could live here, planning on staying 5 months, I'm in south China, will see Hong Kong soon and planning to see Viet Nam, Laos and Thailand.
The women here are amazing , often I can't count the number of gorgeous women I see at once and they mostly dress sexy, can't remember the last time i saw a woman in a dress at home , let alone a mini skirt and 6'' heels ( average outfit here)

#161 ·
OK, I've got a question for those that have been there.

I just sat my radiator/grille shell shroud/shield up on the core support and the core support is way to low and making the sides where the headlights mount hit the tophats on the top spring mounts.

This is with a chassis engineering IFS kit. Has anyone else had this problem?

Brandon

#166 ·
Thanks for the replies, guys. If the only way to get around this problem is to trim the body parts I'm going to be pretty upset with Chassis Engineering because I've read a lot about their kit and never heard then mention once cutting the body was necessary.

Thanks,
Brandon

#167 ·
Mustang II in a 1938 chevrolet coupe

Brandon, hope you are not thinking that your build is going to be some kind of cake walk. You are soon to discover that turning a 75 year old car into something of a modern ride will require some cutting/welding and adapting.
Your "problem" that you have encountered is a very minor one indeed. Because you are changing the dimensions of your suspension with a modern type, you must realize that you are fitting a square into a round hole and something must give. Take a look at the pictures I am sending you, hopefully they will load and you will see about how much you will need to cut your doghouse and the inner fender pieces. It does not take much, and you will want to not remove more metal than is necessary as a tighter fit will keep the road elements from spraying onto your engine compartment. I cut mine twice before I removed enough. Keep in mind that none of this is really visible without sticking your head into a tight place. If the photos do not load here, I will put them into my project journal. Remember, in through the nose and out through the mouth.

Attachments

#168 ·
Hey Brandon, hope I did not seem like some kind of jerk with you on this. I just took the time to look through your build journel and was very impressed with what you and your wife have done so far. Your will no doubt end up with a great safe car in the end. I have been through much of what you are doing here, so if I can help in any way just ask. Good luck!

#171 ·
Hey Leakie, the inner fender panel attatches to the edge of the fender and creates the lip that blocks the space below the hood sides at the fender. You will see how the small bolt holes line up. as for the firewall edge and the bottom above the frame, you can buy repo foam pieces that will attached to the inner fender panel. it is intended to just "float" at these points only being attached to the fender. Originally felt or rubber was riveted on to these two spots. Good Luck!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.