Hot Rod Forum banner

official 37 and 38 Chevy (All GM) car or truck thread

150K views 892 replies 46 participants last post by  nunattax 
#1 ·
thought I would create a spot for all the 37 & 38 (+or-) chevy (and other GM products) cars/trucks owners (and former/future owners)
to get together and share info, ask questions, post pics, etc.

I know off and on there are is lot of these cars and info on here

I have done some searches here and dont remember seeing anything like this, for these cars
(if there is and I missed it, maybe one of the mods. can drag it out and merge the threads)

Here's a link to my journal and a couple pics of my car to get things started :thumbup:

hope to hear from some others, Matt

Attachments

See less See more
#532 ·
My 38 needed lots of work when I bought it.
(And it still does, but I have been chipping away at it)
But one of the things that kinda bothered me was that the oil and water gauges didn't work.
It kinda made me wonder why, I would sometimes think, "was somebody possibly hiding something"
So as part of the process of trying to chase down the problem with all the gauges, I decided to just start from scratch.
So i ordered new sending units for the oil and water.
Today I installed the new oil sending unit, and what do ya know, the gauge works now.
It popped right up to 60 psi when I started it.
That was a good feeling.
But now for the drum roll on what the oil pressure will be next time I drive it, and get it hood and warm.

#542 ·
what is everyone using for a lower radiator hose?
i just put a new one on, its the same as was on the car when i got it, but it is just not right.
its one of those flexible universal rubber things from napa, but its kinda kinking because the bends are so tight.

#546 · (Edited)

Attachments

#543 ·
bottom rad hose

im using a flexible hose.i was concerned about this,i think correct length is v important.i will measure in the morning.i have a spare one on standby.i had the hose training for about two months with a large strong tie wrap bending it into a u shape.when i offered it up it was nearly the correct shape.i also got high quality clamps that wouldnt cut into the hose and lubed the threads before i started,along with a diluted washing up mix to lube the hoses.the clamps had a head on the adjuster so i could tighten with a 1/4 inch drive socket.i was afraid of bending the outlet and inlet on the rad.in the end they went on without any trouble.

#544 ·
Rad hose

I used two hoses, one was a 90 degree bend out from the thermostat outlet (LT1's are reverse flow) and then a straight piece down to the rad ( I had the rad made with a 90 degree outlet facing up). I used a piece of aluminium tube and one of those bands that you take the heat gun to shrink down to clamp it. No leaks! :) Not that will help you much.

#548 ·
Yesterday was fun, we drove the car some real distance, for the first time, since right after I bought it.
I had drove it around town here and there, but no real milage.

Since I got the front suspension and front of the engine accessories all put back together, and the new tires coming, I knew I was close, but not yet.
(one of the old tires had a leaking bolt in the tread)

It has been killing me to not drive it, but I still didn't have the oil and water gauges working yet.
I got those all finished, including the tach yesterday morning.

So the wife and I took it to my bosses retirement party about an hour away.
The best part was the temp gauge went to 210 and pretty much stayed there, even at the longer intersections.
(It was about 75 out yesterday)
Pretty happy with it, but there is still lots more to do.

#551 ·
I just realized that we have been looking at pics of the RH side of the car.
I noticed before that LH side sits lower, I thought this might be partly due to the balljoints and shock adjustments.
Now that the balljoints are done, I need to double check shock length, and measure frame hight.
Here is a pic of the LH side, we're the care sits lower in the rear.
I need to adjust everything so it looks like this on both sides, because i think this is the perfect stance.
(This what I meant by lowering the rear a little)

Attachments

#578 ·
I was going to start on my interior this year and was wondering if any of you guys that have sedans could post some interior pics for inspiration. Thanks!
My 38 looks very dated, it's like an 80s hot rod time capsule.i can get some better pics later if needed, I just got home from a very long weekend of playing.
And these are all I have right now.

Attachments

#580 ·
Thanks for the quick reply Matt. Is that tweed? How is that to sit on, it always looked like scratchy wool to me. It certainly has held up good.
Can you get a good close up pic of the rear arm rest and also the top of the inside of the door looking straight at it? Thanks!

#581 ·
Yes, I believe it is tweed, or a similar type stuff.
Yes it is like scratchy wool.
Not my first choice, but it's ok.

I am not sure exactly what pics you need of the door, but I think I got it covered.
If these don't cover it, I can get more ;)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.