Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - The Official Tube Bending Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2008, 02:43 PM
Quality Fabrication Tools

Last journal entry: Some ideas
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalesy
Welcome to the machine........

Just what are the limitations? Besides the measurement differences; is one superior or inferior to the other in terms of overall strength, bendability, or fab-ability? Is pipe made of a lesser grade of steel than tubing?
To be quite honest with you, I am not a metallurgist. So questions about grades of material and what they are made up of, I am probably not going to be too much help.

But I sure do know tube benders and tube bending applications. I also know that if I was in a roll over, I would want my cage to be made of tube and not schedule 40 pipe.

Your bend quality will depend on your wall thickness and how tight of a bend you are trying to achieve, in addition to what type of bender you have. Too tight of radius and too thin of wall on a rotary draw or rotary compression bender, you will get ripples, even tighter, and the tube will crush like a pop can. That is why exhaust bending is not very successful on a rotary draw bender. A mandrel bender is needed.