Oh No!! 'nother Newb! w/? on 1940 chev - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2004, 08:24 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh No!! 'nother Newb! w/? on 1940 chev

Hi all!
Not one for talking 'bout myself, but.....
I've been building cars for years (I'm 32), from old Land Rovers with a Skyline inline 6, to a Rover 2600 with a 302 Ford V8 (Oval Dirt Track race car), and just finished my current project:
1973 Datsun240Z with a 94 LT1 and 6 Speed from a Z28 (see www link). I do just about all my own fabrication and bodywork and engine work.
OK...enough of that!

A local old timer is selling a 1940 Chev 4 door deluxe sedan. It's in very good shape (considering it's age). No rust, and apart from a couple of small trim pieces, is completely complete....(sorry redundant statement).
A colleague of mine says stay away from it 'cause it's a 4 door. (He has a very cherry 1956 Nomad). He claims that it ultimately won't be worth anything. What do you guys think?
I want to start another project....something that my whole family can ride in (wife and 4 year old son), but I don't want a completely over capitalized vehicle like the 240Z.
The process of fixing the car is the most exciting for me.....now that the Z is done and on the road (after 5 years), I'm bored with it.
BTW, the car is advertised at $4000.00, but I'm sure he will take less......
Any ideas/suggestions?
I did search for some time, but came up empty

Thanks,
Tim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 08:32 PM

Last photo:

Well if it suits you needs for constructing a new car then go for it. As for the "worth" part. How many vehicles do you own that are worth what you have in them. It's not an investment of money, it's a labor of luuuuuuuv.

Larry

Welcome to the board.
Old 05-12-2004, 11:59 PM
Be American, Buy American!

Welcome to our home, come on in and sit a spell. My very first car was a '40 chevy 2dr sedan when I was 15 yrs old. I bought it for $45., money that I earned picking strawberries. I loved that old car so much that I now have a '48 Fleetline Aerosedan which is very much like the '40. I say GO FOR IT!

Al
Old 05-13-2004, 12:30 AM
Start those projects someday

Last journal entry: Divco - has been on the back burner
Last photo:

Buy it! Buy it! Buy it!
This is my pet peeve with the rodding community or any community of collectors of whatever. It just seems kind of arrogant of those who say its worth less than the best magazine type car or "power parked" show car. I think its a great car and something different. Who knew the ugly 37 ford would ever be the darling of the street rod shows or the COE trucks would ever be popular. Maybe the next rage will be 4 doors! I've seen enough of the pomp and arrogance of the owners of those high dollar cars and that primp and polish themselves and their "right" cars so they can get "attention" at the shows. I prefer people that actually worked hard and build their own stuff.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:34 AM
Home Built Rods No Rules

Last journal entry: Home Made Sheetmetal bender plans
Last photo:

Welcome enjoy good people here,I agree buy it, nothing wrong with 4 doors,if you're going to build it for your needs the only one you have to please is yourself.
Old 05-13-2004, 05:01 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the replies, guys! I know that you are all correct....I feel the same way...'if you like it, buy it"....I am just a little gun-shy because of my current project....it got out of control and is so overcapitalized, I'll never get close to 1/2 back what went into it....I'm not trying to make money on it, and never intended to sell it, but I don't want another money pit (bottomless)....

That said, is $4k a decent price for a '40 Chev (likely $3k-$3.5k)?
Like I said above....it's all there, no rust at all, it's been garaged since 1973 and hasn't moved. California car all it's life. Engine is seized. (no matter). Glass is all there and in good shape (except drivers door glass)...

Interior is a bit rough, but expected for the age.

What can I expect in the way of finding parts?

BTW, I plan on a full 'hot rodding'of the car....SBC (350), front and rear suspension etc etc etc....nothing too radical, just so it's nice to look at and nice to cruise up the coast in...

Again, thanks for the welcome guys!!
Old 05-13-2004, 05:10 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Re: Oh No!! 'nother Newb! w/? on 1940 chev

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim240Z
....A colleague of mine says stay away from it 'cause it's a 4 door. (He has a very cherry 1956 Nomad). He claims that it ultimately won't be worth anything. What do you guys think?
Generally speaking your friend with the Nomad is correct, however only from a mid '50s and newer viewpoint. For the earlier cars of the 20s, 30s,and 40s that generality does't really apply. For someone who wants to build a "hot rod" yes a 2 door anything is probably preferable to a 4 door but there are tons of good looking 4 door street rods around and when it comes to cruising they are no less popular than their 2 door cousins. The worth of a street rod isn't usually measured by the style of the body anyway. They're measured by the the quality of the work that went into building it.

I say: Buy it, build it your way, and have fun with it.

Centerline
Old 05-13-2004, 05:57 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

I personally have never owned a 4 door car. But that does not influence my decisions. Some of the great street rods are 4 doors and are being enjoyed immensely by their owners. Just look at what is showing up at the shows and you will see what I mean. When you have Nomad, it is easy to say a 4 door 40 Chey "ain't much". But wonder what your friend's response would be if he was not fortunate enough to have any old car? I would not trade my two passenger rods for anything, but there are times I would like to have that second row of seats.

Trees

PS: I now have an extended cab pickup with 4 doors as a replacement for my old trusty 68 Bronco half cab. What a step up for comfort and convenience!!!!
Old 05-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I have had the 36 in my avatar for 17 years and it is a four door. The wife and I have a lot of fun in it and get many complements on it every time that I drive it. May not be worth as much as a two door version of the same car but very high on the fun factor.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

I've been seeing more and more of the 4doors at the shows lately, 2drs. are getting scarce and way expensive. I think it's kind of refreshing to see what a guy can do to a 4dr. to rod it. Your 40 is a great looking car, low rider, gangster, cruiser, pro street, all would look cool. i say go for it, the price is right. Dan
Old 05-14-2004, 09:08 PM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

My 38 DeSot is a four (suicide) door. I thought it would be easier for family and friends to get in and out of. Plus, it was cheaper. I relly like the suicide doors. Looks cool when you have them all open. I see Saturn has even come out with sucide doors now.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:15 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I was hoping that someone would talk me out of this as I am really on the fence (on the rebound from a 5 year project on the 240Z, which is now a show quality rocket ship!!), but I think if i can talk the seller down in price I will get it and park it until the motivation level increases again.....
Is ~$4k a good deal, or just so-so, or pretty much market price?

Tim
Old 05-15-2004, 05:57 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I will be the DEVIL........and tell you the truth....as I see it

As a general rule....4 doors were old men's cars.
They cost as much to build (or more) than their 2 door cousins. The reason they cost as much or more is
1) they are bigger......More paint, more bodywork
2) they have more glass
3) they have more rubber
4) they need more weatherstripping
5) More door locks, window cranks ect

They bring LESS money at resell time

Street Rodding came from Racing/Bonneville/Hot street cars
Not many 4 doors raced...too heavy, did not cut the wind, were NOT fast street cars (mom's hand me down).

With that said......you are seeing more and more of them at the rod runs. They are cheaper to buy.... They are roomier....for family room. They are a longer wheelbase (most times) and with the weight.they can ride better ( ride better...NOT handle better).

1940 Chevrolets are a fairly attractive model. No wood (like the 36's and back) and have a decent supply of parts. They already have leaf springs in the rear so adapting a later rear end is very easy (as opposed to the 40 Ford.....costly changeover).

Unless you really in LOVE with the 40 Chevy 4 door.........I would pass...and find something that really lights your FIRE......

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 05-15-2004, 12:34 PM

Last photo:

Don't expect to make money on these cars, just expect to spend lots.LOL, good luck 4dr or whatever it's a 1940 its great, Dana
Old 05-15-2004, 07:45 PM
Young & Idealistic

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild an engine
Last journal entry: 1950 Fargo - losing hope
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Who cares if it's a 4-door? If you like the car, get it! Heck, even if it's a 10 door but you really like it, go for it!
Why do you have to go with the norm and build a "cool" and "popular" car style? Build a 4-door, make it cool, show it off and ride in it strong and proud. Sure it'll be different, but that's what keeps this hobby alive

Mike

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.