Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Oh oh, new scratch built project underway
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2006, 06:07 PM

Last journal entry: Finished
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh oh, new scratch built project underway

Just found a donor vehicle yesterday so it looks like "Shoestring - II" is officially underway. Actually, I intend to spend a bit larger budget on this one (like a real interior and a real paint job) but I'll still be shooting for a max of $7-10K.

I've had a long time desire to build a '33 coupe and Malc's avatar (a cartoon rendition of the Defibrulator) is about as cool as they come in terms of what I was looking for. Malc was kind enough to share his art work with me so this will become the starting point for designing the scratch built body. (Hope I can do it justice Malc.)

And I couldn't be happier with the donor that is now sitting in my garage. It's a '79 F-100 with a 302 and 3-speed. And virtually everything still works on the truck. Not bad for $150. Only drawback is the F-100 did not come with a 9" rear - but that is a small price to pay for getting a solid running donor to start a project with.

Since the HR.Com software does not yet allow us to divide our journals into separate project sections I've decided not to clutter up my existing roadster journal with this new project. I WILL, however, be keeping my own photo journal along the way and hopefully, in the not too distant future, Jon will have the new software up and running and I can then publish the entire project as a separate journal.

The plan is to build about the same basic chassis as the roadster with a few upgrades/improvements. The best part is the '79 Fords used a rear steer setup with their twin-I beams rather than the front steer set up I used on the roadster. This means I can under-sling the frame rather than use the Z'd frame approach. It also simplifies and improves the steering box location. Should end up looking a little more traditional than the rat.

The BIG challenge for me on on this project will be the body. It is the first one I've tackled with a top and full size doors (with working windows). I wake up at night now wondering how in the heck I'm going to do that.

So anyhow, here's how it all starts. Malc's artwork and a "slightly rusted" donor.