OH poopy... Overheated and no oil...**** - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2006, 10:03 PM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

hmmm, I do understand, But Cleaned/tanked as in acid dipped? Or is tanked and acid dipped or what ever they do two different things? If not then I got to get new cam bearings correct? which is more $$ for labor and the part! ahh!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2006, 12:40 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here....

Let us know how It turns out...

BTW: If you buy a rebuild kit, (cheaper than single gaskets & parts) the bearings are all in there..

You can rent a Cam Bearing tool..Auto zombie..cost of the tool when you walk out the door..refunded when you bring it back unmolested..$0..

Doc
Old 10-23-2006, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant
Im not sure where you got that from, maybe I explained somthing not quite right. I wont be exchanging pistons to different blocks.

AHHHH!! ok never-mind that plan...I will use my block that spun the bearing, reuse all the pistons with new rings. take the spun rod, and press it off the piston, weigh it and match it to another good condition stock rod that I have and repress the piston back on. And use a honing stone to get a god seal. Use a beautiful standard 350 crank that I now got. and install with new bearings all around. and go up from their with the rest of the parts from the engine, new gaskets etc.

The only thing is that I hope the ridge is still small to get past, and that the cylinder walls are ok(heat and lack of oil) if their good, Im confident it will work.
Warrant--

Try giving No. 1 Performance in Salt Lake a call.. 973-6411. They're on 17th S. & Redwood-- west side of street. I recently checked prices for my older 350-- a reconditioned .010 under crank was only about $115, and the complete bearing and gasket set was about $100. A decent quality aftermarket crank is about $225.

Utah Smitty
Old 11-12-2006, 10:23 PM
72 Nova, 65 Rambler, 37 Chevy

Last photo:

OK new plan. I bought a 77 blazer with a 400 that I will transplant to my nova! It shows 68000 miles but Im sure its been turned over. The engine has steady vacuum of 18 in. and does not smoke. Hopefully the bearings, rings, crank and cylinder walls are in that good of conition of the 130000 mile 350(before it spun the bearing)

My plan is a set of throw in a set vortec heads and my 224* cam on the short block with new oil, pump water pump, and gasket set. Im just hoping the bearings and rings are ok for farther use (atleast need to get me by until I get my other 400 done)

I have heard that 400s wear more beocuse of the short rod? can anyone second that?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.