Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - OH poopy... Overheated and no oil...****
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrant
Well Found the problem...Spud rod bearing crank is scored/scratched pretty bad and alot of material missing from the bearing...the rod cap looks OK and haven't looked at the other side of rod yet. Their were a few like 1/8th size of a penny metal/aluminum peices, and the grey paste that you get in the pan. Crap sent throughtout the engine looks minimal.

Is their any way I can just install all new bearings and have the crank ground and have it work? and if the rod is bad just get another from a different engine or resize it?

I need to fix my problem for as little cash as possible, any ideas?

Thanks
Doc here,

If the oiling system was contaminated as you indicated..It should be totally pulled down and rebuilt right..

The crank is at least in need of turning ,If not replacement, the rod (s) checked for bend or stretch on the big ends..as well as studs, The oil pump needs cleaning & rebuilding , the lifters should be tossed and renewed, The lower sections of the bores inspected as well as the skirts for scoring, and the block needs to be tanked, then washed down and dried to be sure all the suspended metal is out of the engine..(that would be minimum to be safe) ..

Soooo..what does that leave? just pistons, rings , cam inspection and bearing inspection and or renew..and about $29.00 bucks more for gaskets than for the lower end..

I know you don't want to hear it..but it's cheaper to do it right again..when you think about "corner cutting" to save a buck.. Focus on this: Does your budget allow you to do this yet again after this? you'll arrive at the right answer..

just my nickels worth..

Doc