Oh well Here goes... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2003, 08:43 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oh well Here goes...

Well, when you have a big family, you find your cars being lent out for long periods of time, and sometimes given away. Such has been the case with my all time most reliable daily driver, my little Eddie Benz. This time he went out to a neice who is young and needs a reliable ride until she can get her "wings" and find something of her own.

Well I'm stuck with project "a" and "b", and too often I can't rely on either of them...yes good ol' American Steel. But I love the crap out of them anyway, and in their moments, the Ford Truck or Firebird will outshine the sun. But I need more than "shining moments." Gawd, I need a car that can go to the parts store and the junkyard!

I have an Auntie from home (North Carolina) who wants me to pick up her old Hondacar. She's got a new car, and she thought of her "greasewhore" neice. Its a 80-something Prelude that has two carburetors and over 200K miles. It runs but needs some work. It has one of those "southern" clean bodies, so it looks real pretty and sporty. And of course the price is right...free.

I wanted to know about this engine it has, I think it is a 1.8L that IS NOT fuel injected, but it has a weird carburetor setup. I also wanted to know about this "V-Tech" engine Honda makes and if it would be easy enough to just swap out the high miliage 1.8 with a cleaner, newer engine, and hopefully have a reliable daily driver again. Am I on the right track?

Forgive me, and don't doubt my loyalty to American Steel, but I have heard a lot of good things about Honda Preludes. And if Auntie sqeezed out over 200K, that tells me she did not have any problems with it.

Any thoughts or comments?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Grab that car. If Aunty has driven semi-sanely it has another 100 k left in it's heart. decent mileage, reliable, free, a no-brainer. Just leave off the park bench, fart can, neon lighting, stickers, and you'll have a nice car to make those wrecking yard runs to get parts for the project cars. Dan
Old 08-18-2003, 10:11 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Kaylah...For a freebie grab the car. If it needs another engine I'm pretty sure (well not so much pretty but sure anyhow!!!) that Weimer has a 60,000 mile Honda engine that is complete. I know he had it but not sure whether he still does and I know he was going to sell it. I think he still has it though. So if you need an engine and you are in Ohio, I sure something could be worked out. I don't know how much he was asking though. Resale value on the Hondas are pretty good too. Just a suggestion.

Kevin
Old 08-18-2003, 10:25 AM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

Yes...I was definitely planning on grabbing it.

I was curious about the engine. I did some reading online about it, and it seems pretty strange because it is the only Honda variant (in the Prelude and not any other Honda) that has 2 single barrel carburetors that are "sychronized." I also saw tons of info about the "V-Tec" and everybody is "down" on this engine...it must have come out of that damn movie. But I don't know anything about either the 1.8 or the V-tec and was curious.

What's really neat is that it has a power sunroof or moonroof (some kind of factory hole in the top that opens and closes), and it also has an automatic transmission. I think it only has 100 HP though...puny little thing

I like the comment about the "park bench". LMAO! Gawd there should be a law against those things!
Old 08-18-2003, 10:33 AM
Just one of the guys

Last journal entry: Garage Toys
Last photo:

Well if you have any questions abput Hondas, Weimer can probably help you out as he works there.

Kevin
Old 08-18-2003, 11:13 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

Listen to Dan. A parts runner can be anything. Where in NC? If in the right area, I'm close by, along with others in here. you could map out your trip to be near a fellow Hotrodder
Old 08-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:

My friends build Honda's and own thier own Import race shop (I can't get em to turn to the real side, but that's a different story). To answer your V-Tech question, it's a Cam with two seperate lobes for every valve. It's controlled by the oil pressure and once it gets to a certain point, it switches the cam lobe. It keeps your gas mileage down with normal driving, and switches to a more aggresive cam lobe when you put your foot in it. It came out around 95 or so. You can do the swap though, but it's pretty involved. You are going to need the motor, tranny, axels, and ECU from your donor, and probably some custom engine mounts made. It would be a lot easier if you had a new Prelude with EFI already, but like I said, it's still do able. I would run that one to the ground first since it's still probably got a lot of life left in it.
BTW, my girlfriend has an 89 with almost 200,000 and pulls harder than my 01 S10 Vortec V6..lol
Old 09-07-2003, 01:29 PM
axes wayy too many questions

Last journal entry: Car show Btt50's 2012
Last photo:

take it

Take it and get really drunk one night. Go out to an empty parking lot, pour gas around it and all over and torch the SOB. Go home and say you dont know where the car is. Insurance should cover it.

HRK(Alex)
Old 09-07-2003, 01:46 PM

Not nice at all, Alex
Old 09-07-2003, 03:55 PM
former member of HR.com

Last photo:

Oooooo Kitcar! You bad young rodder...bringing this up to the top! (how did I miss that?)

Now you guys know I could show Alex some "fun" here ! But I'm going to pass on fanning the flames. I respect Jon and the difficult job he has to do, and I also love and respect the board and the great people here for the most part.

It isn't too difficult to be polite, is it?
Old 09-08-2003, 01:18 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

no, but why bother? hahahahahahaha! really, nothing wrong with burning it up. or you could getta 40K mile jap engine to put in it for $450. and pay someone $450 to put it in and there you go
Old 09-10-2003, 03:05 PM
axes wayy too many questions

Last journal entry: Car show Btt50's 2012
Last photo:

I try.

HRK(Alex)
Old 09-11-2003, 05:14 AM
Returning American Maddman

Last photo:

Correction: You're very trying
Old 09-11-2003, 10:38 AM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by bullheimer
and pay someone $450 to put it in and there you go

the Kaylah I know, would never think about paying someone good money to do something she could do herself.....

Last edited by crazy larry; 09-11-2003 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-11-2003, 06:39 PM

Last photo:

Not worth the money it will cost to replace the motor and haul back to Ohio . Sell it here in NC for $ 500 or so for a quick sale. The none fuelinjected Honda's are very cheap and dime a dozen here!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.