Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Ohio
Thread: Ohio
View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 06:24 PM
T-Bucket, Corvette, Mustang

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

The camber on most of these straight axles is about what you have now (by looking at the picture). This is about the normal camber, and the spindles for these straight axle cars take that angle into account. This angle is there to facilitate the 'return to center' function of steering among other things. It should be fairly simple to measure the angle of camber that your axle uses, and then make sure the replacement spindles you buy will be proper for that axle. As a last resort the axle can be bent to achieve another angle - not very practical.

I can't see all the details in your pictures, but right now I don't believe you'll need to replace the axle.

Here is the job as I see it now, either via pictures or surmising those details I can't see:

- Replace spindles with something common like early Ford ('37-'41) or Chev spindles, be sure the kingpin bosses are the same as your current axle kingpin bores. These spindles will most likely have to have new steering arms as well as it looks like your current arms are forged on the old spindles. Superbell is one source I can think of.

- Install a disk brake kit on these spindles. Reconnect the steering link (tie bar).

- Plum a line from your master cylinder to the front brakes, consider replacing your master cylinder with a dual chamber MC for safety. If you are running drum brakes on the back you should use a disk/drum MC. Plum in a proportioning valve into the system. Bleed system.

- Install new wheels and tires. Align front end using the 'String Fling' technique (google) if you have no other tools. Carefully begin testing it all.

If you want to, it really is easy to replace the axle. The pictures tell me that you have radius rod and spring shackles, most other axles use these as well. It also looks like your current axle has no drop. A dropped axle makes larger wheels and tires look better in my opinion. Again, Superbell has lots of options on axles. The good thing about replacing the axle is that you can be sure of getting compatible spindles and kingpins/shims.

This would make a good mid-winter project.

Good luck to you.