OHV vs OHC - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2005, 07:30 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Time marches on

I do believe that eventually, and when it does happen,selonoid valve actuation will be on high end priced performance vehicles, to start with, but some day it will happen. In the 60's, a normally aspirated engine making more than 1 HP per Cubic Inch was a big deal. Today, its not uncommon to see them making 2 1/2 HP per cubic inch. With the advent of selonoid controlled valves. I can see normally aspirated engines putting out 4 or more HP per cubic inch.
I remember back in mid 60's, when the TV series Star Trek came out, those guys were walking around with hand held communicators and everyone thought that was funny, but today, everyone and their kid brother are carrying them, the Cell Phone.
It wouldnt surprise me to see practical models of selonoid operated valve engines to become common on the market in my lifetime, and Im 57 yrs old.
Statistically, the rate of technological developement doubles every 10 yrs.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2005, 09:41 AM
Mark Goulette

want to see the latest and greatest in valvetrain technology? just check out a formula one car from ferrari, honda, toyota, bmw, mercedes, etc......takes alot to spin an engine to 17,000 + rpms and sustain those levels for any amount of time.....i agree with max keith, we will see HUGE advances in engine design in just our short lifetimes that we would have never thought possible even just a couple of years ago..........exciting in a way, but at the same time, frustrating for a mechanic like me...............how much more complex are they going to get before we actually can't/don't have to work on them anymore? boggles the mind just to think about it............
Old 12-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Glad the Jeep is on the road

Last wiki edit: How to identify a Ford V8
Wiki Edits: 8

In a conversation with one of our engine design managers awhile back, he told me that the solenoids required to keep up with this will use a lot of juice -- so they are looking at going to a 42 volt system and an alternator in line with the drivetrain (between the crank and tranny) to provide it.....

The technology will come.....
Old 12-13-2005, 05:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Max, you are correct about the solenoids and are in agreement with the designer of this particular engine. (Of which there are at least three functioning examples). The maker stated that he was very limited by selection of solenoids. A bigger engine, thus larger valves, would require stronger solenoids. And above a certain rpm any currently available larger ones couldn't react quickly enough to be useful.
The engine I'm talking about is the "EVIC-211", designed and built by David Bowes. He has a website-here

Last edited by GypsyR; 12-13-2005 at 05:15 PM.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:12 PM

Last photo:

[QUOTE=Max Keith]I do believe that eventually, and when it does happen,selonoid valve actuation will be on high end priced performance vehicles, to start with, but some day it will happen. In the 60's, a normally aspirated engine making more than 1 HP per Cubic Inch was a big deal. Today, its not uncommon to see them making 2 1/2 HP per cubic inch. With the advent of selonoid controlled valves. I can see normally aspirated engines putting out 4 or more HP per cubic inch.
QUOTE]

BTW, I also can see this engines, but where are torque monsters?

As for future technologies,maybe at least I would see advertising like "NO computers,NO electronics,FULL analog system"...

But,honestly, i'm just very confused.

Last edited by Nightrider; 12-13-2005 at 11:26 PM.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

Solenoids actuating conventional poppet valves is only the first step. Since it's obvious that large, power hungry solenoids will be needed, there are a couple solutions.

Activating a poppet valve with a reversed rocker arm is the first one that comes to mind, and the most adaptable to existing engines. By "reversed" I mean a short arm activating the valve, a long arm on the solenoid. That will require a longer stroke solenoid, but a less powerful one due to leverage. It would probably take a new head design also.

The real next step will be to eliminate poppet valves. Some type of rotary ball valve, or even the old sleeve valve might be quicker. I'm out of my league here, but there are other ways. This would definitely require a new head design, and more likely an entirely different engine design. With fuel prices destined to soar over the next 10 or so years, one can only wonder if a new internal combustion engine design is worth pursuing. It would have to deliver a lot better economy as well as power, though generally speaking anything done to improve power has the potential to improve economy as well.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:36 PM

Last photo:

Last edited by Nightrider; 12-15-2005 at 11:25 PM.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.