Oil for air compressor pump? - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2010, 10:18 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I gotta pump the oil out of my push mower.. it uses a second deck underneath, which covers up the accessibility to the drain plug on the engine.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

the compressors we used on the boats used non detergent 30 wt , the detergent causes the rings and valves to coke up and the comprressor doesn't get hot enough to boil off the water vapor and when that combines with some of the detergents it makes a acid in the crankcase .
Old 03-16-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithkustoms
BONUS QUESTION: My compressor has a 80 gallon tank but only has a 3/8" outlet. The 3/8" threaded outlet is on a large (3-4") screw in plug like most compressors have. Can I drill and tap the 3/8" hole in the pulg for a larger 1/2" or 3/4" outlet? Or anyone know where I could buy a plug with a larger outlet?
In theory you can dill & tap it but... Don't mess it up. In theory you could drill it, get a tap in, but have the tap fly across the room when you first use it. That would scare me slightly, but I'm particularly bad at that kind of thing. My main concern would be how to do it AND withstand whatever pressure is in the tank on an ongoing basis without anything breaking or leaking. Changing the size of the plug (converter) should be trivial if that's all you want.

Good luck.

Marquita Jensen
Bristol Compressors Comercial air compressors
Old 03-16-2010, 10:39 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
BONUS QUESTION: My compressor has a 80 gallon tank but only has a 3/8" outlet. The 3/8" threaded outlet is on a large (3-4") screw in plug like most compressors have. Can I drill and tap the 3/8" hole in the pulg for a larger 1/2" or 3/4" outlet?
If what you now have is actually 3/8 NPT, that IS large. If you're not familiar w/the NPT sizing (and skip this if you are), it's different than 'regular' threads like NC and NF.

What most guys will look at and call a 1/4" pipe thread is actually a 1/8 NPT. Same thing all the way up- the NPT size is numerically smaller than the size of the tap would lead you to believe.

That said, if you need to go larger than 3/8 NPT, the next up is 1/2 NPT. It's big. 3/4 NPT is BIG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquita
In theory you could drill it, get a tap in, but have the tap fly across the room when you first use it. That would scare me slightly, but I'm particularly bad at that kind of thing. My main concern would be how to do it AND withstand whatever pressure is in the tank on an ongoing basis without anything breaking or leaking.
I'm puzzled about the highlighted comment above.

What I believe smithkustoms is suggesting, is to drill out and tap for a larger diameter outlet. The hole would be drilled w/the proper bit for the NPT tap to be used to cut the threads, then the larger diameter pipe fitting would be screwed into the new hole. There should be zero reason to "have the tap fly across the room when you first use it".

Maybe you're confusing "tap" for a type of fitting, as opposed to the tool that cuts threads?
Old 03-16-2010, 11:51 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Quote:
Do air compressor pumps use a special oil, Or normal motor oil?
If motor oil, Would their be any benefits or issues with the use of synthetics such as Mobil-1? And What weight is best to use?
My Sanborn compressor manual specifically said to use synthetic 10 W 30 oil in the pump. I just bought a generic synthetic, and it has worked fine.

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

The manual for my Campbell Hausfeld suggests either compressor oil or 10w30 synthetic. Running the synthetic because it's easier to get.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:03 AM

Last photo:

Unless you happen to have a large drill of the correct size and a 1/2 or 3/4 pipe tap laying around, it'd be a lot cheaper to go to a plumbing and piping supply house and buy a bushing of the dimensions you need. The current plug is probably either 1 1/2, 2, or 2 1/2" pipe on the OD. Bushings are widely available with any of those OD threads and most any ID pipe thread you could want.

Even if it has to be double bushed to get to the size you want, $10 or so should cover the bill. A decent quality 1/2" NPT tap and the corresponding drill is going to cost you at least 3X that much in import stuff, and $50 or more for domestic tooling.

One problem with attempting to drill and tap an existing fitting is that a lot of fittings on the market today are really poor quality from a metallurgical standpoint. Some of the worst are fittings used in high volume production products where cost rules over all else. You might be able to drill and tap the fitting you have, or you might rip the end off a $20 drill in finding out the fitting has hard spots in it.
Old 03-18-2010, 01:07 AM

Last photo:

Yes, getting the correct size bushing was my recommendation also. That really is the best way to go.
Old 03-18-2010, 04:45 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Wrong post, my bad.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:41 AM
Jeep XJ and a Javelin

Last wiki edit: Compression test
Last journal entry: August 9, part III
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65ELCMO
I'm a retired compressor mechanic. We had a compressor manufacturer do a oil test and 30 w non detergent come out just the same as compressor oil. Don't worry about it being clear or looking like motor oil. Get the cheep stuff from checker etc. works just fine. If it runs all day you should change it every 3 months. Home owner, once a year is good.

x2... I'm not a compressor mechanic, I agree with you though.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.