Oil Change - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-09-2006, 04:52 PM
30 Ford 5 Window

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Change

SCARYYYYYYY

I will NEVER get my oil changed at any quicky type lube places ever again unless I pay extra and get it from the bottles on the shelf!

I know I know... before you say DO IT YOURSELF! .... I use them places ONLY on my new vehicles still under factory warranty. I have been bitten once by the "no paperwork" trail on proper upkeep before by the dealer when it came to warranty claim...

I go to the local lube shop where my cousin is the manager today... hop out and they drive my 05 F-250 in for service. I go inside and shoot the bull with my cuz while they do the work. They finish, I pay, go around the corner AS I ALWAYS DO, pop the hood, pull the stick, wipe, pull..... black!!!!!! I mean nasty a## black smelly oil. I scratch my head.... wipe, stick, pull..... yep black and smelly... I quickly think... hmmmmmmm I checked it this morning...it was full and nearly clear...odd I thought as I closed the hood and temper began to rise.

As I not too slowly drive back into the oil change place, the same drooling goober comes back out and asks if I'd like my oil changed... I roll my eyes and take my keys and start walking as I hear him from behind yelling that I can't park in front of the bays...I go inside and find my wonderful cousin the manager and ask him why my oil is black and as thin as water.... (there was no customers at the time....WISH THERE WAS) then told him I wanted it changed again, I told him at first I thought they hadn't dumped the old oil at all, but I had checked it this morning and it was near clear. The second I took a breath he ever so calmly started to tell me of the "world of oil changing" and that the oil pumped from the tanks and fed through hanging hoses and put into your engine as "NEW OIL" isn't exactly "new" fresh oil.

They mix their new oil with the drain oil 50/50 sometimes up to 75% used/drain oil and 25% fresh oil. SERIOUSLY... he says they have been doing it for years, and the last place (different enterprise) did the same exact thing. Claims it's very commonly done.

Soooooo word to the wise....... if you are trying for proof of upkeep of your new vehicle... pay the extra and get the bottled oil off the shelf in the lube place....then cross your fingers they even bother to hit the grease spots!!!!!!!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2006, 08:01 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

The local Wal Mart has a "Tire and Lube Express" and I know of at least two cases of shabby work being done. The first was an oil and filter change. They changed the filter and added five quarts of oil without draining the oil still in the crankcase, the engine ended up with 10 quarts of oil. Another time was an oil change where the person performing the oil change forgot to tighten the drain plug. The plug fell out and the airhead driving the pickup kept driving and seized the engine...
Old 12-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

Yeah, and the 400 they do everyday, all day. 364 days a year, and two stories is all they messed up? Sounds like a god shop to me.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Just a firefighter

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: New rear rollpan installed
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Sorry to disapoint somebody but different part of the country and same stories from Wally World. One was a loose drain plug and my Engine crew had to clean the mess up. Another the filter dropped off in the middle of town and yet a third with the drain plug left loose. I've heard of allot of other stories from Wally World around here also like the lug nuts left off or loose and the wheel falling off on the highway, oh yea two people were hurt in that one too.
Becareful who you use and watch them closely.

Last edited by Bluepen; 12-11-2006 at 02:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-11-2006, 05:06 PM
30 Ford 5 Window

Last photo:

So sorry Johnsongrass , I truely didn't mean to offend you with the truth of what happens. I had no clue that you work at one of these quicky-lube places... but I'm sure your's takes pride in it's work and everything is up to snuff. My incident happened at " SPEE-DEE LUBE " I'm sure your job at Wally world is still safe.

Do you truely think that these 2 or 3 incidents stated here so far are the LIMIT to what goes wrong from these kinds of places? OMG!!!!, just do an online check with your local better business bureau and you may just find yourself choking, eating your own words. MOST...not all... of these places stay open by the skin of their teeth. Iv'e seen some so starved for business, that when things are slow, they demand their workers and mechanics (term used lightly) they make them stand beside the road with incentive signs (no wait... 5% discount...etc...) trying to pull in customers. I find that BELOW degrading for the employees, not to mention advertising they are hard up for customers.

When I reported this local place this morning to thePolice & the "BBB" I found they have SEVERAL complaints against them. Also while talking to the person on the phone I come to find out that it's cheaper in the long run for them to pay the periodic high fines they get when some one with the nerve lodges a formal complaint , like I did today.... cheaper to pay fines then run with quality material and personel. They are currently trying to pass laws for such instances and places.

I guess it's kinda like the question: Why is the guy that just killed my grand daughter while driving drunk, still even driving if he has 14 prior D.U.I. convictions?
Loopholes in the LAW! that are up to loudmouth people like me and some others to help try and get sewn closed.
Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX_138
So sorry Johnsongrass , I truely didn't mean to offend you with the truth of what happens. I had no clue that you work at one of these quicky-lube places... but I'm sure your's takes pride in it's work and everything is up to snuff. My incident happened at " SPEE-DEE LUBE " I'm sure your job at Wally world is still safe.

Do you truely think that these 2 or 3 incidents stated here so far are the LIMIT to what goes wrong from these kinds of places? OMG!!!!, just do an online check with your local better business bureau and you may just find yourself choking, eating your own words. MOST...not all... of these places stay open by the skin of their teeth.

Ummm, could we get a bit more harsh here?? I mean, really. Obviously there's wrongdoing being done by "SPEE-DEE LUBE" in mixing used with new. If there's a problem at one place, go someplace else for service. I have one tech who has changed service employers 3 times (business was sold, then ran by greedy bosses, and then re-opened again under old owner with a new name) in 10 years. Thru every move of his employment, my vehicle is seen only by him for anything I cannot do myself. I trust his work as well as I trust my own, or I wouldn't have him do it.

Now, some advice. A real good way of not gaining respect, and possibly gaing a spot on the "ignore user" list is to be overly critical of a much more senior member for pointing out that nobody is perfect. You need to remember something here. Those places do crank out a lot of oil change jobs, and to judge them all by the arrogance of avoiding laws by one is just beyond silly. Also, before you judge johnsongrass as a Wallymart lube dude, check his public profile. It says his occupation is in engineering. Far cry from lube tech, isn't it?

Btw, nice ride. So what's the motor going to be?

In a while, Chet.
Old 12-12-2006, 12:36 PM
30 Ford 5 Window

Last photo:

Chet,

The "new guy" status is because I finally found the name "THX_138" open for use, so I switched user name.... It's a long story, and was a fight to obtain, but it had something to do with some one or some group called Graffiti Nights or something and they used to use this name or something.....it goes on and on...well I'm not sure what was happening, but the name became available when I searched one day so I switched. But I think it's comical and the verge of pitiful sometimes when I see "status" of people judged by that "new guy" thing and how people treat others because of it....new....senior...we're all the same and no one really has a clue how much anyone knows about anything except for ourselves.

Anyhow I'm just stating my experience trying to save some other fellow rodder the grief if they don't need it dealing with this kind of trouble..... the base for the whole thing to start off with in my original post was MY opinion and advice to OPT for the oil in the bottle off the shelf.... that was before it was commented back about it being a "God shop" because they only messed up 2 out of 400 changes.... I can agree, I probably shouldn't have stooped to his level and responded and tried to debate what really happens in everyday life in the real world. A realistic person knows what goes on.

Me talking about his job at Wally-World was an entirely facetious point. And yes I seen "engineer" on his profile.... did you see "Nuclear Physicist" on mine? No offense to him, you or anyone, but profiles are what anyone wants to type into them....even at that, what's entered in profile can be interpreted so widely... so a teenager pumping gas is a "petroleum engineer"?? I'm sure "John is on grass" didn't take it any other way then the joke it was meant, otherwise he would have fired back... either way if I hurt any feelings on anyones behalf I must apologize.

Thanks on the car... it's got a SBC large journal 4 bolt block with an older small journal crank with the extra thick Cleavite bearings (motor LOVES top end) old 62cc. angle plug heads with a smidge scraped off the bottoms, covering some crappy old forged pistons with lightweight rods and had Lunati grind me a 292/526cam, topped with an old polished TRY1 TALL Edelbrock tunnel ram with 2 600's , all lit and kept burning with help from MSD and some other messy wire type stuff. All that trying it's best to twist apart an old TH350 with a sleepy stall converter built up by a friend that claims I can't disintegrate it (we'll see this coming spring)
Old 12-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

Hmm... I hate oil changes... the small amount of money I make doesn't cover the liability for seized engines... I usually take video of me torquing the drain plug for new customers in case anything happens... WELL since I hate oil changes when someone asks me I usually say $35-$40... and I tell them the oil change places sometimes charge $17.. feeling content I scared them away... they usually go... "well the filter and oil is like $15.. ok.. go ahead and do it"... rats... I end up doing it anyway... oh well.... at least that makes it worth it....
Old 12-12-2006, 01:02 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Truth of the matter is, there are good and bad people all over. ....in every business. I am sure that the owners of this oil change business would never admit that reusing oil is their policy..................whether it is or not. Personally, if I had a job at a place that did this, I would not work for them. ....so, really the corruption goes right down the list. If this is happening and the owner, manager, and techs go along with it....they are all guilty in my mind.

I also feel that you bringing it up is a good thing, as it makes people aware that there is stuff like this going on and to check and see what is happening ......although, we hope it is a rare thing. I am sure that you are not trying to bring grief or accuse any of the people on here that just happen to be in that business...................

Budget RVs
Old 12-12-2006, 03:25 PM
Lost in the 60's

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Just to inform some of you guys of something else to think about. I have been getting my oil changes done at a quick lube place locally for several years now without any problems. I was talking to the guy there that owns it and he told me that he had to put cameras in and a video tapeing system..........he makes a tape of every job...above the car and under the car. I had never noticed the cameras before untill he pointed them out to me. He said that he was forced to do it because it has gotten so bad with people looking for lawsuits etc. They take oil plugs out and try to sue the place etc. You have to wait in a waiting room now...because some guy said he slipped and fell in the shop area and tried to sue....the place had a video and it showed that the man was lieing and did not fall. It is a shame that everyone has to fear a lawsuit nowdays because somebody wants to get money without working. If this kind of stuff keeps up...a day will come when we can't get anybody to do anything.
Old 12-12-2006, 03:27 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
...a day will come when we can't get anybody to do anything.
Happens at my work every day......

In a while, Chet.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnitz
Happens at my work every day......

In a while, Chet.
What.......They cant get you to do anything???....................

Budget RVs
Old 12-12-2006, 04:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by poncho62
What.......They cant get you to do anything???....................

Dang square. My dad told me that hard work eventually pays off, Laziness pays off now.

In a while, Chet.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:16 PM
30 Ford 5 Window

Last photo:

I got a membership application to a procrastinators club today... I'll fill it out tomorrow.

================================================== =======

They asked me at the "BBB" when I filed the complaint if I wanted papers for court and refund info... I declined. I figure, just cut my losses and reporting them is good enough. What's court gonna do but waste a days paycheck for me. I figure the owner and workers of any place that runs with those kind of ethics are the ones that have trouble sleeping at night and looking people in the eye, not me. That alone is punishment enough.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:43 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
I figure the owner and workers of any place that runs with those kind of ethics are the ones that have trouble sleeping at night and looking people in the eye, not me. That alone is punishment enough.
Sad part is they've probably been doing that stuff for so long that by now they'd have a rough time sleeping if they didn't try screwing people over......

In a while, Chet.

BTW, I reviewed and I owe you an apology for being as harsh as I was with your post. Type-written comments do have a whole different meaning when read or typed after a rough day at work. I'm sorry. And no offense was taken on my end.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.