Hot Rod Forum banner

Oil change in compressor

2K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  ChevelleSS_LS6 
#1 ·
I need to change the oil in my compressor and the manual calls for a "Air compressor oil such as SAE-30". It is a Craftsman Two Stage. Would it hurt to use a synthetic oil or should I stick to the basic SAE-30.

#5 ·
There are so many recommendations on this that there really is no "one size fits all" answer so as long as you go by the manual you should be OK. As far as "would synthetic hurt anything"? Probably hurt your wallet a little bit but it should work OK in your compressor although I have no way of knowing whether or not it would be of any advantage. Compressor pumps are quite forgiving when it comes to lubrication but you would not want to use anything too heavy or a multi-viscosity detergent oil. My recommendation would be to just buy a good quality compressor oil and if you want to use synthetic then there are some synthetic compressor oils out there.

#6 ·
Compressor oil.com has oil reccomendations posted by manufacturers. I buy mine by the gallon from Jim's Air Compressors in Phoenix Az. For years we used 20 or 30 wt engine non detergent motor oil. But these were in the old low rpm compressors. The newer high rpm compressors might benefit from synthetic compressor oil.

#7 ·
This is just my opinion, I would think that the smaller compressors that are pressed to keep up and thus often exceed their duty cycle would benefit from synthetic oil. The reason is, and again this is just my opinion and nothing more than an opinion, is that these things usually get quite hot and synthetic oils generally do better than conventional oils at higher temperature.

#8 ·
Amsoil makes several different weights of synthetic compressor oil. I have the PCK ISO 100 in mine which runs from 0*F to well over 90*F no problem. Most likely you will only need a couple of quarts so the price difference between regular & synthetic will be less than 5.00. In my case the synthetic was actually cheaper than the Mobile Rarus 427 which is not nearly as flexible temp wise.

#11 ·
if it's chinese (easier to replace than service), doesn't see a lot of use, or you're financially pinched, use regular 30wt non detergent oil. Most oil companies make the stuff, you don't see it a whole lot though.

If it's used a lot/duty cycle exceeded a lot, or something you want to last a lifetime and pass down to the kids and have them pass it on, or are feeling generous, get the same grade synthetic oil, such as amsoil.

#12 ·
I posted this on another compressor thread - might want to think more about the oil you are using...

Rambo_The_Dog said:
A note on an exploding compressor tank that did kill someone. The compressor tank cited in the link was 23 years old but not necessarily the reason for the failure.

I've always run the OEM approved oil and never thought about the scenerio described in this report.

http://www.cdc.gov/NIOSH/FACE/stateface/ca/05ca010.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.