Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - oil on clutch and fixing sbc
View Single Post
Old 03-31-2013, 09:19 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

oil on clutch and fixing sbc

how common is leaking rear mains on a sbc? as common as a leaking chrome chinese oil pan? i have pulled my clutch off and the flywheel and pp look like oil was on them. there is oil all over the pp side of my disc, but none on the flywheel side. i have been looking for oil dripping on the trans side of the rear main and see a couple of drops, but don't know if they dripped off the bottom of the engine and ran there or came from the seal. the crank next to the seal is clean clean clean! but oil was getting in big time. i am sure it is the oil pan gasket because when i moved my truck it left a puddle of oil under it just from backing out of the garage and backing in. a rear main wouldn't leak that bad would it? when i picked up my bell housing off the garage floor there was a puddle of oil under it as well. is there any reason to pull the rear main bearing cap off and look at anything? i wouldn't know what i am looking for anyway. the reason i took it apart is my clutch was starting to slip. the seal is a two piece rubber one.

also

i am replacing the clutch and pp and i am wondering if running 80 grit over the flywheel will be enough. it doesn't seem to be doing anything to the oil looking marks, kinda like oil on water, and definitely isn't leaving any cross hatch pattern, just the little swirlies that orbitals make. i am not really loving the thought of pulling this heavy flywheel off. it only takes a 12" pp and it about an inch thick and those bolts are like 100 ft pounds.

i would appreciate any help tonight and happy Easter!