oil coming out of breather - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM

Last journal entry: no spark and fuel pump issue
Wiki Edits: 0

oil coming out of breather

hey guys need help here... ive been chasing an oil leak for the last 3 days that seemed like a simple fix at first but i can fix it ...i noticed a lot of oil dripping down the back of my engine passenger side of the bell housing down near the starter... i traced it back to the passenger side valve cover so i replaced the warped stamped steel covers with tall aluminum moroso covers and used molded rubber mr.gasket cover gaskets ...took the car back out and still noticed a lot of smoke under the hood... i noticed the breather on boths side but mostly the passenger side spitting oil all over... so i figured maybe the breather is cloogged so i got a breather that looks like a little cone air filter with a shroud.. and still theres oil everywhere...so i put a pcv valve on the pass side and still its blowing oil out of the breathers...the oil pressure is very high at WOT approx 95psi... and it s a turbosmall block chevy motor at this point i think the crankcase is getting pressurized by some blow by and forcing oil out of the breather ...anybody have a good fix for this or know whats really going on

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 10:59 AM

do you have room for a vacuum pump? have you tried tall breather tubes as a quick fix and plum the gasses into the exhaust?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:05 AM

tall breather tubes? is that a item i can buy or do i need to make them
Old 11-18-2012, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Do your new rocker covers have baffles under the breathers?
Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 AM

you can buy them. look at any circle track car. running a line into the collector helps evacuate the fumes
Old 11-18-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedanbob View Post
Do your new rocker covers have baffles under the breathers?
Yes! Check for baffles. I had this problem and tried changing alot of things but never fixed it. I never found out that my old valve covers didn't have baffles under the breathers till I got new valve covers. lol. But then I realized why I could never fix that leak from the breather. Hope this helps!
Old 11-21-2012, 04:11 PM

There are no baffles but I believe that there is a small leak near the corner of the cover ... Could it be due to high crankcase pressure? My oil pressure is high
Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 PM

Because there are no baffels, most likely the oil is shooting up into the crank case breather and is then dripping out of the filter. That is what was happening to me.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:20 AM

I've seen guys use vacuum pump to clear the crankcase they the breather ports on the valve covers but most of the time they are the very expensive mechanical pumps running off a pulley can an electric vacuum pump be setup to do the same thing
Old 12-08-2012, 03:12 PM

Pontiac engineers have always had trouble with oil blowing out the valve cover oil fill/breathers. In 1964, Pontiac engineers installed oil dripper-baffles under the valve covers and that eliminated 90% of the oil blowing out the oil fill/breather cap problem on the passenger cars. On the high performance vehicles, Pontiac first tried placing 3" stacks on the valve covers that contained a baffle and mounted a push-on breather cap and those were used on the high performance 1962-63 389/421 SD/HO engine. That design was continued in 1964 on the 389 GTO engines. The 1962-1964 389/421 SD/HO and 1964 GTO high performance engines did not use dripper-baffles under the valve covers because those engines either had solid lifters that required lash setting occasionally and some customers wanted to "lash-out" the pre-load on the hydraulic lifters on Sunday for an extra 500 RPM and the dripper-baffles would make that too difficult. The drippers were retained until 1979 but did not include any type of baffle. Those drippers were spot welded to the roof of the valve covers.

Finally the closed system was introduced in 1968 and the valve cover oil fill/twist-in breathers were eliminated. In 1968, one valve cover received a rubber plug and the other valve cover had a PCV valve located where the oil fill/breather cap was formerly located. That was the completely "closed" crankcase vapor return system.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.