oil coming out valve breather? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 03:09 AM
Hauling A55 BURNING GASS!!!

Last journal entry: bros car
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

oil coming out valve breather?

can oil do this? my valve breather isnt on tight it just kind of sit in the cover and i think oil may be leaking out through there is this possable? i also have oil burning out of there i may have asked this question before but is that caused by the piston rings/blow-by, or does this have to do with the valve seals? im just going to replace my heads if this is from the valves if not the whole engine. its a 350sbc if anyone wants to sell me a complete one for cheap. i dont have the time to or the work space to do a rebuild. i will trade my engine with some $$ or something for one.

ok i just did a little search and in another post someone mentioned something about checking the spark plugs and i have they are completly clean still in good condition. and this smoke doesnt come out of my exhaust from what i've seen only out of the pcv valve and valve cover breather. so does this mean ive' answered my question and its the valve seals/heads??

Advertisement

Last edited by Brian Morency; 09-15-2004 at 05:20 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2004, 05:35 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

PCV

Doc here

If it isn't smoking out the pipes, plugs clean, Compression better than 125 a hole, and otherwisw runs well... your problems may be simple PCV / Gasket problems..

Make sure your PCV is installed properly, Vacuum from a manifold source to the valve, and valve into the crankcase...and the Valve in working order.

Make sure it fits tightly into the Valve cover (or other ) Mount hole.If it's loose, get new grommets

The Cap must fit tightly and have a positive Ventilation (A vented cap) If it's not vented The system will just build pressure blowing out gaskets.

Detect and repair any Leakey oil gaskets.

This will probably Fix your problem, and for under $50 Bucks...

Keep in mind, ANY engine will create a small amount of blow by, What you may perceive as a problem , may just be normal for an engine of your miles...

If it's tossing oil out the filler holes, you may need a baffled Valve cover..

Let us Know How it works out!

Doc
Old 10-06-2004, 11:22 PM

Last photo:

wow i forgot about this post

ok so yeah i got a different valve breather that sits on there tight but i still get oil that somehow makes its way through the valve cover,it has one of those baffles i guess its called that i think is sapposed to keep oil from getting out, oil still gets out and burns on my exhaust. i checked my pcv valve it sticks to my finger when the car is running meaning its sucking,it runs from my valve cover to my carb,that is on the drivers side valve breather on passanger side. i noticed today for some odd reason when im driving and i get on it the motor smokes,when i got home i looked at the valve cover and noticed oil coming from the breather driping down on the exhaust then burning causing smoke. i have no clue what to do now. the grommets are good for the breather and the pcv valve.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:39 AM

Last photo:

When you "get into it", your manifold vacuum drops to around 0, so your PCV valve stops pulling the fumes from the engine. This will let all the gases go out the breather, and if the baffle is not the best, it will blow out some oil too. If its smoking from the oil dripping on the exhaust under acceleration, I"d say its going to be ring time. There should not be that much blow by in a decent engine.

If its smoking out the tail pipes too, its definetly time for some engine work.

Mark
Old 10-07-2004, 01:15 AM

Last photo:

no smoke out exhaust only sometimes on start up but not when driving.

so does this mean that the valve seals are bad? meaning i should prolly rebuild the heads

o yeah and there is not any smoke when i rev the motor up, i have the hood open and press on the throttle, only under load does oil come out valve breather
should i get new valve covers also??
Old 10-07-2004, 07:30 AM

If its blowing smoke on start up, its valve seals and probably guides, if your pushing oil out your breather its from pressure from compression getting into your sump or to your rocker covers or both,..
Old 10-07-2004, 07:51 AM
The Smell of Nitro in the morn

Last wiki edit: How to adjust valves Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

On the valve cover breathers that are loose, I use a bicycle tire tube cut about 1" and put on the neck of the breather before install and this helps keep it tight and leak free.
If its coming out the breather vents thats another problem on PVC not being good enough for your system.
Try running 1 pint low on oil, this helps stop the windage when backing down the motor after a high speed or put it in neutral when just letting off, this will help some of your problem.
Synthetic oils makes the leak worse.
Blow-by is bad piston rings if this is what your talking about and give high pressure in the crankcase.
The smoke that your talking about, is it coming thru the exhaust or burning off the header pipes ?
Old 10-07-2004, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

no, the oil is not burning inside of the exhaust pipe, only next to the heads just below the valve cover where the oil comes out the valve breather, outside on the top of the exhaust manifold is where the oil burning is a problem.
my oil pressure guage also has been reading extreamly high like 50psi when the cars off and then when its running 60psi then when i rev it up it will get as high as 90psi but i think this a just a faulty guage and has nothing to do with the real pressure. or does it?
Old 10-07-2004, 03:00 PM
brains

Last photo:

That seems high for oil pressure but shouldnt cause your problem. Have you changed your valve cover gasket? If not change it and check your baffle inside the valve cover. Maybe most of the leak is coming from the valvecover gasket not the breather.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

thats what i thought so i changed the valve cover gaskets didnt see any leaks while diving normal then i got it a couple times and i began to see oil in my valve filter breather and oil on the valve cover driping down. so there is no way possable that the gaskets are bad by now i changed them like a month ago. and i also dont see any leaks around where the valve cover sits on the head.

maybe i shouldnt use such thick oil i have 20w 50 motor oil and some lucas oil staibil in there so im assuming that oil is pretty thick is that my problem, thick oil?
causing lots of oil pressure to come out my valve breather?
i cant think of anything else that might cause this problem.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:20 PM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Arrow

-Previous Discussion- that may help.
Old 10-07-2004, 04:50 PM

Last photo:

thanx

that pretty much answered my question. thanx for the info KULTULZ"
and everone else!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.