oil coming up through dipstick tube - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 08:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

oil coming up through dipstick tube

how is everyone? i have problem i just finshed rebuilding my big block chevy but when i get on it oil is forced up the dipstick tube.the pcv is new and i have a breather cap in the other valve cover could it be blow by how can i check for that any help would be great. thanks guys

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2004, 08:39 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Generally that is a sign of a broken ring or damaged piston. Start with a compression test. That should narrow it down to the problem cylinder.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:58 PM
RatRod B4 RatRods were Cool

Last photo:

I'm with Tom, a PCV valve can't handle bad blow-by.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:01 PM
tryn to learn

Last photo:

i kinda have the same problem, SBC 305 just rebuilt. i forgot to put the dip stick in the tube and some oil came out, with no dip stick in the tube is that normal for the oil to come out? or should i pull the engine apart?
Old 04-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Chief Petty Officer, USN

Last journal entry: My Monte Carlo
Last photo:

I had the same problem on my 94 Z-28. I did a compression check first and all cylinders varied from 140psi up to 190 psi, so I figured a broken or stuck ring. Turns out it the ring land between the first and second ring was broken on 6 out of 8 pistons. Turns out the previous owner rebuilt the motor with cast pistons and 10 psi of boost torn them up. A compression check will definately give you an idea of what's wrong
Old 04-10-2004, 11:42 PM

Last photo:

Have you really given the engine enough time to seat the rings? The problem is blow-by, but maybe the rings just haven't seated yet. And don't forget, the PVC valve is made to only work at high vacuum, and by its nature, shuts down at full throttle. This is why it's helpful to vent the engine to the air cleaner instead of just atmosphere. While there isn't much vacuum present in the air cleaner, there is a little, and that's better than none - and it will probably help your problem.
Old 04-11-2004, 02:28 AM

Try leaving pcv valve in and hooked up to the carb or aircleaner or wherever, then pull out the breather on the other side of the engine. Put your thumb over the hole and see if you have a positive or a neg pressure. It should suck not blow out. Maybe a ring or two upside down even? That shouldnt allow that much blowby but..... strange things happen. The rings in upside down happens more often than alot of people admit. I did it on my first home rebuild (many moons ago) myself.
Old 04-11-2004, 08:49 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by lust4speed
Have you really given the engine enough time to seat the rings? The problem is blow-by, but maybe the rings just haven't seated yet. And don't forget, the PVC valve is made to only work at high vacuum, and by its nature, shuts down at full throttle. This is why it's helpful to vent the engine to the air cleaner instead of just atmosphere. While there isn't much vacuum present in the air cleaner, there is a little, and that's better than none - and it will probably help your problem.
I don't think it's a problem of the rings not being seated. If the rings aren't seating now, they never will. If the rings are sealing that badly, it will have to be fixed anyway (re-honing, etc.).

tom
Old 04-12-2004, 03:12 PM

I had a similar problem with my car did a comp. check all cylinders were right on with each other around 200 205, I ended up putting an evacuation system on my car from summit cured my problem.
Old 04-12-2004, 03:32 PM

Last wiki edit: Wiring diagram 1953 Chevrolet
Last journal entry: Spare Tire Dent Removal
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 647

But, then again you own a Ford and so it would help when you back off the throttle.

This guy sounds like he has eight quarts of oil in a six quart pan. Probably synthetic too! If you have low rise valve covers make sure that you don't push the PVC and breather all the way down to the lifters. And if you have non- stock valve covers, make sure they are the baffled type. You say that the oil is being "forced" out, like pushing the dipstick out? or just seeping? Is it the correct dipstick tube? Your turn!
Old 04-12-2004, 09:10 PM

well i am back its turkey season took time hunt do have tall valve covers after market dip stick never used synthetic oil wouldn't pour it on my motorcycle chain i believe the dip stick tube was the problem during the long rebuild sometime i may have checked the oil which was not on the stick so i must have added more so i changed the oil and filter put in 6 quarts then i checked the oil still not on the stick so i cut the tube till i hit the full mark. hope it works.
thanks everyone for the info

Last edited by stoneyone2001; 04-12-2004 at 09:17 PM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.