Hot Rod Forum banner

oil consumption

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  4doorjoe 
#1 ·
Hi guys i have 350 sbc fresh motor and seem to going through a lot of oil oil for some reason but it does not smoke or smell just goes i have gone through as much as a half a litire in a day now the only thing i can think of are my valve vovers the one for the pcv valve side is not baffeld could it sucking oil from there any help welcome :confused:

#4 ·
Well, if it's not leaking it, it has to be burning it. If the PVC has no baffle around it, it may be sucking oil into the carb and burning it that way. Otherwise, it looks like bad rings. Generally, if it is burning that much, you would see smoke.

#5 ·
How many miles are on engine since rebuild?Some rings have a break-in period during which oil consumption can be high.I did a 302 Ford that burned 1 qt.of oil every 500 miles for the first 2500 miles.After that,oil consumption decreased to virtually nothing between oil changes at 3000 miles.I believe I used moly rings on that one,with a smooth surface finish in the cylinders.I was told afterwards that I should have left a rougher surface after honing.The engine had over 100,000 miles on the rebuild when I finally sold the pick-up,and it still wasn't burning oil,so it was just fine after it finally broke in. :thumbup:
I also swung an engine for a customer that the rebuilder had put std. rings in a .030 over bore.That engine never stopped smoking.To keep the customer happy on this one,I wound up pulling the engine and re-installing it for nothing.Needless to say I never used that rebuilder again,even though he repaired his mistake. :smash:
Just a couple of things to keep in mind,George :cool:

#9 ·
This goes in the "You never know" catagory

I know this is a long shot, but since it happened to me, it could happen to anyone. When installing my intake, the thin section of gasket seperating the #1 & 3 intake ports slipped. It slipped enough to cause the #3 side to draw in oil. Not enough to burn smoke, but enough to lose about a 1 quart per week. Note: the gasket in the picture was torn when removing the intake.

Check your plugs for signs of fouling. If you find only one, this could be your problem. Good luck, Ed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.