Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Oil consumption due to possible sucking oil from intake valley..signs ?
View Single Post
Old 08-13-2009, 09:33 AM
More for Less Racer

Wiki Edits: 0

You may find that the cork end seals do not allow the intake to pull as tightly down to the head as they need to be. I never use them anymore for this reason, it has tripped me up a couple of times, the hot tip is the trick of using a 3/16" or so bead of RTV instead of the cork strips. Lay a nice bead and let it skin over before laying the intake on.

The times I've had sealing issues and oil usage like this, you couldn't see oil evident on the backs of the valves, you could only feel it on the port walls using a dry finger. Fuel wash is constantly cleaning them and they are hotter while the engine is running than the port, the oil comes off them easier(thinner).

I don't know if your mechanic's pressure test idea will work but it should, it's just like a leakdown test in the cylinders basically. Wouldn't hurt to try, fabbing up a plate and fitting to cover the carb opening should be easy.