Oil cooler hairbrained idea....... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2013, 07:48 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil cooler hairbrained idea.......

I dont use the trans cooler section in the bottom of my radiator.....but hey, how about using it as a plumbed in oil cooler for the motor? Anyone tried that? Pros/cons.....will it even do enough to warrent all the fittings and braided line? Hmmmmm......just sayin......my coupe dont have much room, already gotta a big trans cooler in front of the rad, no good place to mount another for the engine......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Born To Be Mild

Last photo:

Itīs not a trans cooler, itīs a trans fluid warmer upper, to get the fluid to a working temp quicker.
Think about it, that tank in the rad is right next to hot coolant.
Iīd say your trans cooler is way too big if thereīs no room for an oil cooler.
I run both side by side in front of the rad, both thermostatically controlled.
Trans.

Oil.
Old 03-19-2013, 08:28 AM
Old & Furious

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
I dont use the trans cooler section in the bottom of my radiator.....but hey, how about using it as a plumbed in oil cooler for the motor? Anyone tried that? Pros/cons.....will it even do enough to warrent all the fittings and braided line? Hmmmmm......just sayin......my coupe dont have much room, already gotta a big trans cooler in front of the rad, no good place to mount another for the engine......
No it will over run the radiator with the oil temps. Trans temps are hotter than oil temps. Radiator doe snot warm the trans fluid you will be driving down the road before the thermostat opens and dumps hot water into the rad.

Buy a nice oil cooler and a radiator without the trans cooler. Running them together will over heat your engine.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:08 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMo View Post
The factory does this on all OEM production since about 1985 to speed engine warm up by running the engine oil through a heat exchanger in the radiator. This however is not intended to cool the engine oil but to get it and the coolant up to operating temp faster. This is a major contributor to both reducing emissions as well as internal wear because start up with its extra rich mixture produces a lot of noxious exhaust while the extra fuel wipes upper end lube off the cylinder walls which greatly increases wear of the cylinder walls and rings. Easily 80% of engine wear occurs from start up to about the first 5 to 10 minutes of operation. The sooner you can get the engine up to operating temp the better. Sump oil temp is typically 5 to 10 minutes behind coolant temp in achieving operating temp for a street driven engine. Competition engines are whole different animal when it comes to temperature relationships and management.

However, if you need to manage engine oil temp from becoming excessive, this will add more heat into the coolant which the radiator may not have the capacity to remove. The sucess of this is really going to be dependent upon whether the engine oil gets so hot as to require cooling along with does the radiator have enough excess capacity to remove that heat without running out of capacity to mantain engine coolant temp. If excess oil heat isn't a problem, then using the coolant as a means of speeding engine warm up is a good idea.

Bogie
The Following User Says Thank You to oldbogie For This Useful Post:
1Gary (03-19-2013)
Old 03-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Last photo:

See.....told ya it was a "hair brained" idea!! LMAO.....im putting this on a 30 Ford Coupe, so getting another cooler on the rad with a 7 x 15 on there for the tranny already aint gonna happen....and for some reason, i thought all this time, that GM put the tranny fluid through the bottom of the rad to help keep temp stabilized.....
I do have one of those round tube w fins coolers from another project, it was on the frame of another hot rod. Maybe I can find a place on the inside of the frame for that and plumb the motor up to it....anybody know what one of these will flow? Im using a 7qt. oil pan, Melling M55A pump.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:30 AM

Last photo:

That finned cooler looks like this......

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.