Oil Drain Plug.....What the Hell!!!. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2013, 04:21 AM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Drain Plug.....What the Hell!!!.

Yesterday I figured it was time to change the oil on my D.D'er/shop truck.I had been driving around with the Wex filter in the extended cab back for awhile that was for it.It was down a qt,but between oil changes with a 4.3 5 speed with a aluminum oil pan and about a buck sixty on the clock I didn't think that was anything to be alarmed about.I get it up in the air and get under it with a ratchet and 14mm socket to pull the oil plug.Holy hell the drain plug was finger tight.Now damm it I know how I work and most certainly I did not forget to tighten the drain plug on the last change.In fact I tighten things like that more often just a-tad too tight.

The only thing I can figure is GM had a problem with the aluminum oil pans and the drain plugs loosing up that I am unaware of.

Once I got the oil drained,it screwed back in fine and tighten right back up with no leaks.

Guys,anyone have ideas about this??.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Grand Master of the Universe

Last photo:

Frost heaving?????

I dunno... maybe expansion/contraction.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:11 AM

Never tighten a oil pan drain plug more than 18 lb/ft. Aluminum strips easily so ypu better check the drain plug treads. You may need to install a oversize drain plug. The oversize drain plugs are the same thread pitch as the original plug but are slightly oversize in order to tighten the thread fit. Always use a metal and Viton rubber drain plug gasket.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchman View Post
Frost heaving?????

I dunno... maybe expansion/contraction.
LOL I think it's the same gremlin who loosened my left front wheel on me the last time I fixed a flat on the wagon. When if went to shaking I was sure it was a tie rod or wheel bearing- so sure that I didn't even think of loose lugs. Because I KNOW I tightened them...
Old 07-24-2013, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

I wonder if there is a "zero leak" o-ring plug you could use? We use them in our Supercases and never have a problem.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
I wonder if there is a "zero leak" o-ring plug you could use? We use them in our Supercases and never have a problem.

Don't know.As I said,it screwed back in no problem and tighten.Maybe you could explain that better what it is and where you get them.I sure don't want to be saddled with having to check it all the time.That would be a PITA!!.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:01 AM

Last photo:

This thought occurred to me.In a intersection I drive over all the time there is a major dip.I guess the front springs aren't the best,but have what looks like a normal ride height.Acouple of times I drove over that intersection abit fast to clear the intersection before the light changed and it bottomed out.I just thought it hit the bump stops on the a-frames.There is no way the pan hit the way it is tucked up in there.The cross member would hit first.Maybe the vibe from hit loosen the drain plug.I'm going to check it today when I go back out to the shop.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:10 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Dude, no offense but don't you thing the most logical thing is you simply forgot to tighten it?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
evolvo (07-25-2013), Rhansen (07-27-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 02:20 PM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

DO you use a rubber or plastic washer of some sort under the plug? Even if you did tighten it all the way the vibrations may have caused it to loosen. If you're really concerned about it, wrap a little plumbers tape around the threads to give you a tighter engagement.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:03 PM
WFO

Last photo:

If you are really concerned about it, safety wire it.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:35 PM

Last photo:

EPCO Products, Inc. Zero-Leak Gold Plugs Page
Old 07-27-2013, 10:38 AM

I could see a drain plug becoming loose if for instance the gasket material was inferior and it mushed out due to the heat of the oil or if it wasn't noticed that a nylon style gasket split and fell out. I've never found a plug to be loose yet though on the various combines, tractors, trucks and you name it on a farm. From nylon, fiber, oring, copper, aluminum gaskets being used for that application and some pans were made from aluminum. What I have had is threads that started failing or peeling out of the pan or the oil plug but was apparent when it was being taken out or reinserted.

Here's an idea for you 1Gary that might put your mind at ease ( other then safety wiring it which is what they do for so many aviation applications ... great idea Cobalt 327 ), which is to clean up the surfaces from any oil on the head of the plug and the pan surface beside the plug, then use a paint pen and make a mark on the face/side of the plug and a corresponding one on the pan. That way you can inspect it once in a while visually and can also put a wrench on it and give it the snug test without actually turning it. The only two other things I can think of which may have occurred, you did accidentally miss the step of tightening it ( I know someone who had their plug fall out and ruin the engine because of a fast lube place forgetting to tighten a plug ) or you have a friend who is fing with your mind by loosening the plug to make you think your ready for the old folks home
Old 07-27-2013, 10:57 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Chevy View Post
...or you have a friend who is fing with your mind by loosening the plug to make you think your ready for the old folks home
There you go! Remember eating that last donut at the shop? Pay back is a *****! lol
Old 07-29-2013, 12:35 AM

Last photo:

Well while I was at the shop today I checked it.It was tight and the plastic washer was intact.Oil level held as did the oil pressure.I have been taking it easy over the dip in the road where it bottomed out on the a-frame bump stops.

Thanks Guys.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.