Oil Filter Adapter for 93 camaro to delete oil cooler? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2010, 11:43 PM

Last journal entry: More information
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Filter Adapter for 93 camaro to delete oil cooler?

Hi guys,

I was wondering if it is OK to use an oil filter adapter to delete my oil cooler from my 93 camaro LT1 -- some places online list the part number (3952301) as only good up until 1990, where others say it is good until 2000.

I think the LT1 is the same as the old 350s, minus the reverse cooling (i'm sure there are other little things here and there, but thats the main advancement...?) so I'd think this part would work.

Will this part be ok to use?

thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 PM

Last photo:

Scoggin-Dickey says LT1 is different. You might email them for more info, they've always been helpful to me.

http://sdparts.com/details/gm-performance-parts/3952301

Google { L99 "oil filter" } and see if the first few results help you any.

Last edited by jimfulco; 09-22-2010 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:13 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

It looks like by removing the cooler adapter from the "sandwich", that a filter could be installed straight onto #2 of the drawing to the Right (1995 KC4/LT1). I would at least take a look to see if this is possible.

EDIT- After looking at this, it appears that (unlike the Gen 5&6 BBC, for instance) that there are no "in block" checks or bypasses to contend with. So it should be a straight forward deal in that regard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil_cooler.jpg
Views:	2307
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	48329  

Last edited by cobalt327; 09-23-2010 at 06:25 AM.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:20 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerwerrin
Hi guys,

I was wondering if it is OK to use an oil filter adapter to delete my oil cooler from my 93 camaro LT1 -- some places online list the part number (3952301) as only good up until 1990, where others say it is good until 2000.

I think the LT1 is the same as the old 350s, minus the reverse cooling (i'm sure there are other little things here and there, but thats the main advancement...?) so I'd think this part would work.

Will this part be ok to use?

thanks!
This is the standard GM oil bypass sandwich, you can convert back to a filter only set up with the GM filter adapter plate.

The factory oil cooler bypass isn't there to cool oil, it's intended purpose is the heat the oil on cold starts to reduce the high emission warm up period. You will find that without it the engine will take a significantly longer time to to get up to operating temperature.

You will find that eliminating this little device on a street licensed vehicle in the state of California is a violation at law which can bring fines and certainly no license plates.

Bogie
Old 09-23-2010, 11:15 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
It looks like by removing the cooler adapter from the "sandwich", that a filter could be installed straight onto #2...
IF the LT1 cooler adapter is like the L31 Vortec engine's adapter, "#2" in the drawing lacks sufficient length to use to mount a filter. The drawing of the LT1 unit appears longer, but not knowing the thread or length of it, there's no way from here to tell if it would work or not.

If you want to use a filter adapter w/a pressure relief, use p/n GMPP 3952301. Mr Gasket p/n 1272 AND Jegs p/n 23605 are cheaper alternatives.

If you already have one lying around, you can use it. I choose to plug the bypass w/a pipe plug, YMMV.

Hardware: Bolts are -20 x 1-1/4 long, torque is 8 ft/lb (96 in/lb), a gasket is available but seldom used- the oil still goes through the filter w/ or w/o the gasket.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.