Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Oil Filter relocation kit...
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2006, 09:56 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Filter relocation kit...

Hello folks,
I have a question regarding relocating an oil filter. My bud and I finally worked out the timing problem we had to give a newly built engine the fire it needed it. On the first start we had to shut the engine down to fix a fuel problem. We only had the engine running for about 2 minutes. We ran out of time to restart the engine and continue the break-in, but out of curiosity I dropped the oil filter to take a look at the oil. It appeared the oil was not even circulating through the relocated oil filter. Alarmed, I drained the oil to see what it looked like. I dropped a large magnet in the oil and ran it around to see what would be picked up, and the magnet didn’t pick up anything metal.…the drained oil looked used, with black carbon swirls, settling on the bottom of the drain pan. The oil in the oil filter, and lines running to the block were as clean as it was when it was poured in. I am hoping that didn’t cause any damage to the engine…I still have yet to fire it up again to finish the break-in.

What would cause the oil not to circulate? I ensured there was nothing blocking the lines, and even ported out the more restrictive choke points of both the block and oil filter side of the mounts. I spent a pretty penny and quite a bit of time finding the plumbing and fabricating a bracket for the filter ount so this has been dissapointing. My plan is to get rid of the kit for now and put the filter back on the block, refill the oil and continue on…or should I be looking a little harder before I start it up again? This is my first engine build so I hope I’m not boogering something up! Any help would be most appreciated.

1972 Chevy Vega coupe:
Holley 600cfm carb, Holley street dominator intake
Brodix Ik 200 aluminum heads (.055 copper gaskets)
Howards cam (.410/410 lift, 288/288 duration) 1.6 roller rockers
HEI Petronix Flame-thrower 50,000v upgrade kit
8mm accel wires
030 over, with flat-tops
3.562 offset grind crank
Moroso windage tray
Hooker headers
T-350 with shift kit/3200 ACC stall convertor
4:56 running gear, 26”x8.5” slicks
Griffin radiator w/flex-lit Electric fan