Oil Flow problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2011, 09:49 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Flow problems

I have an 88 Camaro with a TBI 305. The past few days I've had some problems with my oil flow due to a decent amount of sludge. Its ok for about the first 5 or 10 minutes of driving it. Then it starts loosing some power under acceleration after a while and starts to get a little warm, and then starts to knock at the bottom end. I removed the valve covers and noticed some sludge blocking the oil from returning back to the crankcase. I just flushed the bottom end of the motor with some motor flush, and then once again with diesel. Then I drained all the oil and sludge out of the bottom and replaced my oil filter. I'm not a mechanic and I dont know all about the whole oiling system throughout the motor. I'm thinking that my next step should be to remove the intake manifold and clean as much sludge out from the lifter valley as I can. My best guess is I didnt quite remove all the sludge, I just broke up enough of it and now its clogging up another spot throughout my oiling system. Maybe its an oil return problem, I dont know. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2011, 10:49 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

The only way your going to get it out is pull the engine and have it cleaned by a machine shop. TBI engines were bad about sludge buildup because they ran so hot in the lifter valley area. It`s not uncommon to find the vacuum ports in the throttle body itself is blocked up with sludge. You could pull the pan and clean out what`s likely fallen to the oil pan. Any sludge you clean up in the lifter valley is going top make it`s way into the oil pan. If the engine is loosing oil pressure it`s either due to warn bearings or due to the sludge clogging the oil pump screen. The bottom end knocking could also be the result of loss of oil pressure due to the sludge. Remove the oil pan and see what it looks like, then remove a rod cap and a main cap to see what shape the bearings in. This will tell you if a rebuild is in order or not.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:43 PM

Yea, I figured I wasnt going to be able to flush it all out myself. But the last few times I ran it after flushing the bottom end, there was very little or no knocks at all and my oil pressure is a little better than before. I know I got most of the sludge out but I'm sure it's just recirculating in there throughout the oiling system and it would probably help if I drop the oil pan and pull out the sludge myself after a good flush and atleast replace the oil pump. I just dont want to drop much more money into this motor when I'm right around the corner from a 350. But I know there really isnt much hope or life left in this tbi motor with the miles I have. I really dont want to rebuild a tbi 305. Im going with a carbureted motor as soon as possible.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.