Hot Rod Forum banner

Oil Issues on BBC

5K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  SDLuck 
#1 ·
I just finished rebuilding my 396 BBC Casting number 3855961 now when I go to prime the motor no oil is going to the top on the motor I checked oil pressure on the front of the motor and im getting plenty of pressure any idea on what would cause this?

#2 ·
-Trigger- said:
I just finished rebuilding my 396 BBC Casting number 3855961 now when I go to prime the motor no oil is going to the top on the motor I checked oil pressure on the front of the motor and im getting plenty of pressure any idea on what would cause this?
The priming tool has to have the oil gallery crossover at the bottom of the tool for the oil to pressurize the top end.

The cross over can be seen on the image below, it's the blue part in the foreground:

#4 ·
Got it figured out my block is a '66 cast chevelle and they had a diffrent main main bearing with a groove and 3 hole for the oil passage ways to the lifters. We never could get oil to the top after replacing it we hooked up the started and ran it we where able to get oil to the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.