oil leak??? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2010, 04:44 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

oil leak???

Have a phantom oil leak that I have nailed down to either the fuel pump gasket or the oil pan gasket (finding oil in this area), I will be cleaning both surfaces and installing a new gasket for both

Now on to my question, my oil pressure seems to drop after the engine has come up to temp (normal has been 45 to 50 at idle but drops to 25 to 35 after coming up to temp)

But this said this symptom started when my leak starts to appear, could this leak be the cause of the drop in oil pressure, the motor in question is only 2 weeks old and the oil pressure problem started when the leak did.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this before and does the leak sound like the culprit thats causing the drop in pressure

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2010, 04:51 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I don`t think it`s caused by the oil leak. It`s common after the engine gets some wear on it after break in for the oil pressure to drop. Your oil pressure is excellant. Look on the passengers side at the 9 o`clock position of the harmonic balancer. You will see 2 bolt holes a couple inches away from it, one on top of the other, is there a bolt in the upper hole? If not this is where your oil leak is as the fuel pump push rod is in direct line of it.
If there`s no bolt use a short bolt dabbed with a little sealer, if the bolt is too long it`ll make contact with the fuel pump pushrod.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM

Last photo:

Bolts there, oil seems to be coming from along the fuel pump, was just a little worried on the dipping pressure since I just built the motor .

I have degreased the engine compartment and will see if I can pinpoint the leak, also I am thinking on changing the pan gasket to a 1 piece instead of the 4 piece as I am thinking the leak if it is not from the pump gasket then it is from right where the front gasket meets the side gaskets
Old 04-18-2010, 06:18 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVette
Bolts there, oil seems to be coming from along the fuel pump, was just a little worried on the dipping pressure since I just built the motor .

I have degreased the engine compartment and will see if I can pinpoint the leak, also I am thinking on changing the pan gasket to a 1 piece instead of the 4 piece as I am thinking the leak if it is not from the pump gasket then it is from right where the front gasket meets the side gaskets
There is a bolt on the FRONT of the engine that was a holdover from when the SBC had forward positioned motor mounts- that intersects the fuel pump push rod hole. Be sure this bolt is sealed and tight so no oil can find its way out.

This same bolt is sometimes removed and replaced temporarily w/a longer bolt to hold the fuel pump push rod back out of the way while the pump is changed. Sometimes if this is done, when the shorter bolt is put back in place, it will not be sealed or tightened enough.

The results are a leak like you've described.

Your oil pressure is OK, and the leak has nada to do w/it.

Be sure that the filter is changed often during break in- if the bypass has been plugged in the filter mount (which it often- and rightly- is), a loss of flow from the filter picking up debris will cause a lower oil pressure, because having a blocked bypass is forcing ALL the oil through the filter.

Last edited by cobalt327; 04-18-2010 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:34 PM

Last photo:

there is a bolt in both of the holes and I pulled the upper one and put some sealent on it, but the leak is still there fuel pump is covered with oil , pulleys belt are clean so is the timing chain cover, oil seems to be on both sides of the pump and right in the front upper section of the oil pan on the passenger side.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:38 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattVette
there is a bolt in both of the holes and I pulled the upper one and put some sealent on it, but the leak is still there fuel pump is covered with oil , pulleys belt are clean so is the timing chain cover, oil seems to be on both sides of the pump and right in the front upper section of the oil pan on the passenger side.
If the fuel pump has a bad seal, it can allow motor oil to leak as well.
Old 04-18-2010, 11:19 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

If the fuel pump is covered from oil from above then I`d check the valve cover gasket.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:18 PM

Last photo:

Oil leak solved, bottom bolt on passenger side of the timing cover was loose and oil was leaking there

Thanks for the help guys

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.