Oil Leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Leak

Hey all, Me again.
Been busy trying to button up some issues with my build SBC 350.
Runs awesome but unfortunately I have an oil leak at the rear of the engine.
Like everyone first thing that comes to mind is the worst and that would be the rear main seal.
When installing the seal I did install it the correct way meaning the neoprene lip seal facing inward and I also offset the seal so it didn't line up with the bearing block seam. I did not add sealant on the ends of this two piece seal though. Is this something I should have done?
Today I am going to start with re torquing the oil pan first to see if this will fix the leak. When it first started I snugged up the two oil pan bolts on either side of the pan just before it starts to curve around the journal. You know the last two larger bolts. It seems that maybe I've over tightened these to try and stop the leak and perhaps made it worse.
This is my theory anyway and hopeful thinking.
I will back off on these two bolts and just snug very little.
If that doesn't cure the problem then I guess I will have to remove the rear main seal and replace it.
I know pretty much the procedure and having the engine on a test stand will make this much easier. Do I need to add a sealant on the ends of this seal?
Does any of this make sense to anyone? Is it possible that I have over tightened these? Looking at the area with a flashlight I can see the drip forming right at the edge of the bottom of the pan lip where it wraps around the crank. If it where the rear main seal, wouldn't oil be seeping onto the journal and slinging all over the place. I don't see any evidence of that happening. Just a small drip forming at the edge of the pan.

Being a newbie I feel kinda stupid asking this but I quess we all get stupid at times Right?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

That does sound like the Pan & not the Rear Main. Over tightening may have deformed the Pan rail bolt hole area & it may need to be peened flat. At least it's on a Stand and not installed.

If the RM Seal isn't leaking you may not want to mess with it. It is best to dab a spot of sealer on the seal ends tho'.

Last edited by SSedan64; 03-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

I backed off those two bolts and just hand snuged. It made a huge difference. Still a drip or two but no where as bad. Maybe the gasket will bounce back but who knows. Worse case I remvove the pan and replace that gasket. This is not going into the engine bay untill all the issues are addressed. I still need to replace the damper. I bought a used one and it shifted back a liitle towards the timing cover. I've read that if these are 10 -15 years old the rubber get dry rot and they do go bad. New one on the way.
Yea on this stand that I made otta 2 by 4's and scrap plywood works really well. Cost me $12 bucks and a little enginuity.
I'm going to do a video and post it today I think. I'll post it on youtube and post the link here. I tried the other day but didn't work. I got it figured out now so look for it.
Thanks for the input

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.