Oil Leak - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2012, 11:06 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Oil Leak

Hi,
I have a oil leak problem on my 2008 Mazda 6. I'm aware that has absolutely nothing to do with Hotrodding at all but I got great advise here in the past so I hope someone can help me with that as well! After getting my motor back in the car (had a bad rod and I got a used engine replaced all the bearings and so on) drove it for a couple hundred miles and its leaking out right were engine and transmission come together (2.3L I4 FWD ATX). As far as I can tell its engine oil. Looks like it, smells like it and its missing on the dip stick. I checked out the oil pan and it looks all dry so I would guess the rear main seal is the point of leakage. The seal is brand new and I added sealer all the way around the rubber face were it meets the girdle and the oil pan. I added an oil film to the sealing lip that goes over the crank shaft, Pushed the seal onto the crankshaft and tightened it down. Now I'm wondering if I did something wrong or missed something or could the oil come from some were else? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tomi

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 01:15 PM

Is there an inspection cover for the transmission? Is there a mazda dealer close by?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:04 PM

There is no inspection cover for the transmission.
There are Mazda Dealers left and right, and I try to stay away as far as possible since there is nothing good coming from there.

However, I like to give an update here.
I pulled the engine back out to inspect were exactly the oil is leaking from. It was, as expected, the rear main seal. Pulled the seal off but it was still in like new condition.I also checked the crank surface for nicks and scratches, measured the run-out on it and the end play. All fell right into the mean tolerance, just to be sure I don't have an issues there.
I looked it up at the shop manual again and there it was: Use the installation tool! Hmmm what installation tool are we talking here? Non of the funny auto parts stores had anything like that nor did they know of a tool like that. The web didn't spit much out either. Looking a bit closer at the picture in the manual it shows the seal lip pointing towards the engine block. Looking at the crank shaft I could see the whiteness mark. So I was diggin thru the shop to find something with just the right diameter to hold the seal lip towards the right direction to install it. I ended up stealing a glass out of the kitchen that fit like a glove. Installed the seal and done. Drove it for a week now with ZERO leaks. I'm happy! :-)
So remember just pushing the seal on will not work! The lip has to point the opposite direction!

Tomi

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.