Oil leak on 354 hemi - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2002, 12:10 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Oil leak on 354 hemi

I am getting an oil leak around the bottom rear exhaust manifold stud for number 8 cylinder on a Chrysler 354 hemi. I can run the engine and after it cools down I can run my finger over the nut and stud and it has a good coating of oil. It is driving me crazy as it is a new engine and is good in all other aspects. Any help will be appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-02-2002, 03:08 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

This could be one of two problems. If you aren't getting oil smoke from the header when the motor is running then it isn't a valve cover leak which is the first possibility. The second possible problem is a small leak where the oil filter mount or remote filter mount (if you're using one) bolts to the engine. It is directly under the lower exhaust manifold bolt on number 8 cylinder.

Centerline
<a href="http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com" target="_blank">http://www.hotrodsandhemis.com</A>
Old 09-02-2002, 04:18 PM

It could still be leaking at the valve cover just not enough that you would notice any smoke when its hot. I just went thru this. The best way to stop it is to glue your gasket( a new gasket) to the valve cover with 3M (yellow) weather strip adhesive. Hold the gasket in place with clothes pins untill it dries. Then before you put the valve covers on put a thin coat of oil on the side that is going on the head. that way you can remove them wihtout any damage. Do not over tighten the valve cover bolts. That will ruin the gasket.Just snug the bolts down. I use two fingers on my rachet to tighten these bolts. If it leaks you can always tighten them a little more.

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: hcheetwood ]</p>
Old 09-03-2002, 02:45 AM

I am running a remote oil filter and am not getting any leaks from that area. I also can run my fingers and a paper towel under the valve cover and see no residue of oil from anywhere near the valve cover gasket. Thanx to both who gave me tips to solve this. I can run my finger onto the stud where the rear lower exhaust manifold is and I get oil from that. I have taken Locktite to all the studs that will hold the exhaust manifold on and still gets leaks at the number 8 cylinder. I am beginning to think that I may have a crack near that cylinder that they didn't catch at the machine shop. Do the studs for the exhaust go into the oil jackets?
Old 09-03-2002, 06:07 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

Stud holes on hemi heads for sure go into water passages (valve cover studs) and I think (been a while since I have been in there!) into the rocker chamber and water passages (exhaust studs). Just need to take it out and reseal it. Try old tech, use hard Permatex.
Old 09-03-2002, 08:25 AM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Lightbulb

There is an oil return passage that runs back through the block in that area but it is much closer to the upper stud on that cylinder. If it’s not the valve cover gasket I suppose it could be leaking from the oil return passage out the upper stud and draining down and accumulating on the lower stud. If it’s leaking under the exhaust gasket you might not see or feel any oil on the upper bolt itself. That’s about the only thing I can think of.

Centerline
http://www.HotRodsAndHemis.com
Old 09-03-2002, 12:42 PM

Cool

I would definitely Take out the header bolts and put a sealer on them when replacing them. For some reason Chrysler had them all going into either a water jacket or in your case an oil passage. You will want to drain some of your anti-freeze before removing your header bolts. If you have studs holding on your headers then I would just reseal the one that is causing the problem.

[ September 03, 2002: Message edited by: Rog_Van ]</p>
Old 09-03-2002, 02:00 PM

I don't think this is it but I had the same problem on my 428. I thought the valve covers were leaking and I had oil all over one side of the engine compartment. I cleaned it all up and put on new gaskets. This weekend I noticed it was still doing it but not as bad. What I discovered was that it was not the valve covers but it was oil coming out of the dip stick tube. The lack of a complete pcv system created to much pressure in the motor and it blew oil out the tube. Finished the pcv system with proper breather and no more oil where it shouldn't be.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.