Hot Rod Forum banner

Oil leak at MSD distributor base?

9K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  TVR383 
#1 ·
Looking for the source of some oil ending up my exhaust pipes..I have a "small diameter" MSD distributor that has an adjustable collar to fit a desired installation height. This collar is two pieces joining together through an allen screw thightening these together. I noticed around the base of the distributor to be quiete oily and this oil could make its way down on the exhaust and burn giving this smell I get inside the car:burning oil on suoer hot metal.

This is a 383 stroker. I also noticed the gasket at the distributor base beeing oily... :sweat:
Is there a lot of oil pressure normally at the distributor base area? Also my weiand intake seems to have a rather large opening that leave a lot of loose around the distributor shaft enough that when reinstalling the dist. I have to make sure it is well centered in the manifold aperture before clamping it down.

I've checked good and this oil looks like coming from there not from the famous rear intake or oil pressure port.

I just wonder If I have not enough of a gasket at the base or the splitted collar leaving an uncurable oil pass?!

thanks,Ron.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think to know for sure you will need to pull the distributor and check it out. It's hard to troubleshoot this, not being there and all. Maybe someone has encountered this same problem with their set-up, as yours. I would tear it apart myself and look at the gasket material. You might consider making a metal base type washer from a piece of stock to provide a better sealing area at the intake and providing a smaller opening for the distributor, since the collar is adjustable. I would put a gasket between the intake and the shim/spacer and another one at the base of the distributor and shim/spacer. Use a sealant with the gasket and maybe even put some sealant on the split flange of the collar, trying to eliminate all sources of leakage. Good luck and let us know how it works out!

#3 ·
I've found the problem!

I've called MSD about this and no its not them who helped me out... This distributor has a collar tha allows different height positionning. That said collar gets thightened up onto the dist. shaft through an allan screw headed small bolt that joined the two separated collar section...even when well thightened up the two sections of the collar are not totally joined together thus leaving a gap ,very small,about 3/32 wich just allows oil to jump out from under it where I guess there is a lot of splashing oil.

Yesterday I've pulled the distributor put a dab of gasket maker into that oil let it dry and today's 80 miles run just showed me I was right since all the manifold area under the dist.was DRY and OIL free.

And when I asked the fellow at MSD if he ever hearded about this possibility I had a big NAW..my experience till now with tech. reps...better count on yourself!
thanks,Ron.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.